Cold smoke cheese link?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold smoke cheese link?

My amazn tube and pellets Come today. I have a 5# ring of black waxed cheddar I got from the Dairy inspector last Christmas that hasn't been touched just trying to let it age longer cause I like the sharper type.

Figure since milk driver will be leaving me another ring in couple weeks I can go ahead and use this 1.

Can y'all give me a quick rundown on what do to or is their a link to another thread for cold smoking w the amazn and cheese?

Thanks boys

Lucky you!

Personally, I think if I had that 5# block, I would cut it in 1/4's and vacuum seal the 3/4 of the 5# for future projects, or use. Then cold smoke the 1/4 and see what you think (after at least 2 weeks rest under vac seal in fridge). Temps should be as low as possible (like 90-) and airflow should be good and not restricted. I would go with a mild wood for smoke, and somewhere around 1-2 hours smoke time, then let it cool down 1-2 hours and vac seal. I probably left something oot, and folks will fill in the blanks. Just my thoughts, good luck!
    sigpic

Comment

First of all, after slicing into wedges/chunks of desired size, I would peel the wax away to allow for the smoke to penetrate all of the cheese.

I've not used the Tube bhut I do have the regular ole, plain ole AMNPS... Some people only like to go for a couple of hours to put a hint of smoke... I like a longer smoke for more smokey flavor. Here is one of my smokes on my Horizon stick burner... 2017 Starts Off Kinda Cheesy... Afterwards, you will want to let them sit for aboot 10 to 14 days before you dig into them to let the smoke "sink in"... I presume you have a vacuum sealer... If not, don't smoke more than you can use or give away before they would start to mold.
      You'll want to keep your temps low or you will become a member of...
      Richtee Cheese Smokers Anonymous...

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
      Paul

Comment

I would cut the pieces into similar sizes and smoke for varying lengths of time, 2,4,6 hours and label accordingly. Let rest under vacuum for the 14 days or so and then sample to find out what flavor profile you like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

So after I smoke the cheese I need vacuum seal it for 14 days until I can tryit

Comment

Originally posted by Blinginpse View Post
            So after I smoke the cheese I need vacuum seal it for 14 days until I can tryit
            The vacuum seal keeps oot the oxygen & inhibits any mold growth. I still have a couple chunks sealed up from last winter & they're still good - no mold. You don't have to seal it & wait. The waiting period simply allows the smoke to infuse further into the cheese.

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
            Paul

Comment

Originally posted by THE ICEMAN View Post
              The vacuum seal keeps oot the oxygen & inhibits any mold growth. I still have a couple chunks sealed up from last winter & they're still good - no mold. You don't have to seal it & wait. The waiting period simply allows the smoke to infuse further into the cheese.

Ok 10-4 on that

Comment

I smoke mine in my stickburner...Usually early in the AM when temps are cool...
                I start with about 10 partially lit coals and place a foil pack of wood chips or nut shells on top of the coals...Poke some holes in the foil to let out the smoke
                When it quits smoking it's done...Usually about 1-1.5 hours...Plenty of smoke and I can still taste the cheese

Yes it gets better with age but sometimes I will use it shredded in tacos or something without waiting...

If ya don't have a sealer then wrap tightly in cling wrap and then bag it and store it in the fridge...I've had it stay good for up to a year after smoking...
                Craig
                sigpic

Comment

I do have a vacuum sealer and 2 cases of vacuum bag rolls

Comment

All good info above.
                    I'll only add that you can eat some sooner, but the flavor seem much better after 2 weeks of waiting.
                    However personally I don't see a lot of difference waiting much longer than 2 weeks.

Bear
                    Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

It's gonna go down today as my first cheese smoke. Gonna do it we'll try it on my old cheap smoker for now. I believe it will vent well Enough to make the new smoke pipe work

Comment

Good luck man...It's not as tough as Rich makes it look

I cant be without my smoked cheese...I rarely just eat it straight but love it as part of any dish that calls for cheese...
                        Craig
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                          Good luck man...It's not as tough as Rich makes it look

I cant be without my smoked cheese...I rarely just eat it straight but love it as part of any dish that calls for cheese...

That's me I can just eat cheese straight off the block just whack me piece off wit a knife and get to chawin. Not sure how everyone else will care for the smoked cheese. I liked what I had in Mississippi when was there hunting in the delta with a buddy on his place.

If it goes good I'll Half to ride about a hour and half To cheese plant where our milk goes some times and buy a 22# ring to get in deep in smoking cheese

Comment

Shredded smoked cheese in a breakfast burrito is fantastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I lied it's a 2# block. It's all going in the smoker

Comment

Working...
                              X