X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, I'm going in...I'm going to try this Sunday.
    Is that 1 pound of sausage meat?
    "And I SWORE I would not read, much less post in that thread, dammit!

Comment

I do 1.5 pound myself,but many do 1 pounders.The standard bacon fits fine on a 1.5 pounder..

Originally posted by moselle View Post
      OK, I'm going in...I'm going to try this Sunday.
      Is that 1 pound of sausage meat?

Comment

Thanks,
        I combed the 'fatties' thread and saw almost no mention of weights of meat used. Some pictures seem to have TONS of filling, like that pregnant fattie. That had to be bigger than 1 1/2 pounds don't you think?
        I tried one fattie and made it with one pound of sausage. It was thin walled and didn't havemuch filling, very unsatisfying-no money shot:(
        I'll try again with 1 1/2 pounds and see if it is better.

Comment

They can be deceptive MO.I have done hundreds of 3 pound meatloafs,but without the extra fillings.I do them(fatties) with my own double grind sausage which helps hold in the filling ...It seems to help a bit to keep the temps lower on the stuffed fatties(250 degree)

In all honesty i personally do more meatloafs.I enjoy the homemade smoked sausage chub(fattie with no filling) with a fine mix as much as a fattie...

Hopefully the fattie guys/gals will add to conversation!!!

Thanks,
          I combed the 'fatties' thread and saw almost no mention of weights of meat used. Some pictures seem to have TONS of filling, like that pregnant fattie. That had to be bigger than 1 1/2 pounds don't you think?
          I tried one fattie and made it with one pound of sausage. It was thin walled and didn't havemuch filling, very unsatisfying-no money shot:(
          I'll try again with 1 1/2 pounds and see if it is better.

Comment

Thanks,
            I usually do a little over a pound. 1 lb is fine but you are right, they are easy to over stuff. 1 1/2 would give you plenty of meat to hold extra fillings.

Or if you have extra meat you could do this....
            http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=692

But that will just make you go crazy and try this....
            http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1797
            KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Holy Cats Wu. Those are really impressive. You should have seen how lame my sad attempt was compared to those.
              Baby steps...I'll try 1 1/2 pounds Sunday and report back.

Comment

I remember my first couple not coming out the way I had wanted. You will get the technique down quickly, then the hard part is deciding on what combo of ingredients you want to stuff it with. I look forward to the pics of your next one.
                KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

How about the diagonal (herring bone?) wrap? Would you just create the weave and then set it at a 45’ to the rolled fatty? Is there much waste doing this? I guess if you had to cut off some of the bacon it could go on the ABTs that you should be making at the same time?

britt
                  sigpicThere are no atheists in the impact zone

Comment

i assemble mine right on top of the fatty, and will do something different to each one so i know which one is what, start on the top work your way around one side as you roll it over 1/4 turn. when you have done to the bottom on one side, roll back 1/2 turn and finish up the other side and meet at the bottom, cut off excess. i always have mine situated so the seam of the fatty ends up at the top. less chance of leakage or blowout. then i pull the plastic wrap around fatty, same as show above and close the ends and twist them by rolling it on cutting board to tighten it up.
                    Charbroil SFB
                    GOSM
                    MES
                    Dutch Ovens and other CI
                    Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                    Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X