Monthly Contest Disaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monthly Contest Disaster

Well yesterday I was trying out a new rub on some yard bird. I decided that I hadn't used the ECB for yard bird in quite a while. So I got the bird rubbed. I got the lump in the ECB. I got the water into the pan. I let it all get settled on a temp of 275 which is about the highest my ECB had ever been and I was happy. I wasn't concerned about the skin. All I wanted was some good smoked yard bird that could be pulled apart and tossed into a skillet to be turned into fajita meat. It wa a practice run on the May contest. But about an hour into the smoke I was out messing around the smokers getting my offset ready for this weekend because I have to smoke 10 slabs for a family gathering for Patriot's Day. Anyhow, at some point I kind of remember bumping the ECB a little but didn't notice anything. I don't have a remote temp probe, so no alarms went off. But about 30 minutes later my wife looked outside and yelled at me. It seems there was a big puddle under the ECB. Well, the pan fell, put out the lump, yardbird was ruined and so was the test run. The cause? One of the screws that holds the rack for the pan came loose and fell out. The pan fell and the rest is history. In my rush to use the ECB for this I didn't check it over as thoroughly as I should have. I had some great pictures to go with the finished product, but all deleted now.

So there is a lesson. Those pesky ECB's can smoke some good meat. But you better pay attention to the fragile thing or it will bite you good. I might try again today, but we have a chance of rain, so maybe not.

Well, I hope that is the end of my disasters for this year. Anybody else have a recent disaster to share?
    sigpic

I sure would give her another shot. sorry bout the mess up.. should not drink and smoke..lol..
    sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
    nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Dang it. Yeah, they can loosen up on ya WSM's too. Good advice to look 'em over once in a while.
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Left a whole pork loin sittin on the table in a cool bag alllllllll night. Forgot to put it in the fridge. I wouldn't call it a disaster but.... dang!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kyote View Post
          I sure would give her another shot. sorry bout the mess up.. should not drink and smoke..lol..
          Might be a lesson in there someplace, but.................
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
            Dang it. Yeah, they can loosen up on ya WSM's too. Good advice to look 'em over once in a while.
            Wow, I can tell ya they can and do. Took care of it this morning. I replaced everyone of them. Some were so encrusted I couldn't tighten them down. One just plain broke. Even though they have lock washers I wasn't happy with that, I double nutted them. Better safe than sorry, so I spent the extra 40 cents for the nuts.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pign It View Post
              Left a whole pork loin sittin on the table in a cool bag alllllllll night. Forgot to put it in the fridge. I wouldn't call it a disaster but.... dang!
              Maybe not, but it was probably awfully close to being one.
              sigpic

Comment

By imn88fan

Comment

Yup Bubba, I was wondering when you would say that. Deleting my pics was my immediate response to the disaster, after cussing. A while later I wished I had kept them for sort of a mini-disaster tutorial. You know, just in case anybody wanted to copy my screw up.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X