Hello from central Indiana!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by redneckbuckeye View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback. As for what I want to smoke, that would be everything, but most frequently Pork butt, brisket, and trail bologna. I am wanting to start with something I can set and forget for now, I am prone to make hobbies out of things like this. I love smoked meat, and buy it regularly local, but want to do it myself for family and friends. Since I am wanting to set it and go I think a propane, electric or pellet smoker would best suit what I am looking for. My brother uses a treager, but not sure that is the best option, cost/quality for a pellet smoker. Also maybe a gas or electric is a better option. The weber smoker looks like something I may get into later after I have somewhat perfect a skill/process. Also read that pellet smokers have a diminished smoke flavor, so that is a concern about going that route.

Thanks,
    Nate
    First off, if you read up on this site and ask questions you'll be making better que than what you can buy at any restaurant. You'll then be hooked just like the 99% of us here! It won't be a hobby it'll be an obsession. I'm speaking from experience on that last sentence

You have a lot of options in your price range.
    Pellets-it seems Yoder has one of the best products. Green mountain grills seem to be decent for a cheaper price. One thing some do is to add a tube smoker to get extra smoke. They can be had for around $30. Something to consider are pellets easily attainable. Around here I can only get traeger close by and find the smoke off putting.

Propane-(no experience) I've always have eyed the smoke vault's and smoke hollow's at the farm store. Depends on which one they're usually under $300. Personally I'd find one that has a separate wood chip door. That way you don't lose your chamber heat.

Electric-I'll say right away, stay away from the Bradley puck smokers. Some like them, but I found the wood pucks to have an off flavor. Plus I could only buy them 60 miles away and they're kind of pricey. Bearcarver and a couple others have had great success with the MES40 some have not though. You won't get a smoke ring with an electric. So if that's something important to you its something to consider. One other thing to consider about electric, a lot don't go above 275 so with chicken that would leave a rubbery skin. Chicken needs higher heat.

I will say a Weber kettle is pretty close to set it and forget it.

I'd go do a little shopping and if you see something you like come here and ask us about it.
    sigpic

Comment

Right now I am torn between the rec tec
      http://www.rectecgrills.com/rec-tec-...-grill-rt-680/

and the yoderhttp://www.yodersmokers.com/ys640-pellet-grill.html

The yoder is 350.00 more than the rec tec, which one would you eliminate and why?

thanks,
      Nate
      Last edited by redneckbuckeye; 02-19-2015, 01:39 PM.

Comment

The Rec Tec I believe is a re-named Treager, they had a lot of problems with the newer units (after moving prod to China).
        The Yoders, from what I read, are pretty solid and their support will stand behind them. There are a bunch of Yoderheads round here, they'll speak up.

I fergot, Welcome from Florida!
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Not a real pellet head but I hear a lot of food things about Yoders,

Welcome for Illinois (formally Evansville)

Comment

Someone had already mentioned the WSM - you can add a pellet attachment to it. You can remove it and make it charcoal again....not a bad option for about $600 or so.

Welcome!!
            www.nopigleftbehind.com
            -----------------------------

Comment

I was side tracked for a bit, but am back and my little boy and wife are getting me a WSM 22.5 for fathers day. Score! More questions, what all do need to start. I know a chimney, have one, a thermometer, which one, what else?

Comment

Also going to start with a pork butt, any videos on start to finish, complete newb here.

Comment

I was side tracked for a bit, but am back and my little boy and wife are getting me a WSM 22.5 for fathers day. Score! More questions, what all do need to start. I know a chimney, have one, a thermometer, which one, what else?
                  Also going to start with a pork butt, any videos on start to finish, complete newb here.
                  back! Although most pictures are gone this is still a good read on pulled pork!

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1091
                  Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                  Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                  1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                  Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                  Weber Smokey Joe
                  Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                  Pink Thermapen
                  Purple Thermapen

Comment

what thermometer does everyone like, want a reliable quality one

Comment

I really like my Thermapen probe and Maverick for monitoring smoker/food temps.
                      sigpic
                      GMG Daniel Boone
                      UDS
                      Weber 22.5" Kettle (blk)
                      Vision Kamado grill
                      Weber Genesis Silver
                      Smokin Tex
                      MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5
                      Maverick ET 732
                      Brown and lime green ThermaPens
                      2 orange ThermoPops
                      A-Maze-N Tube 18"