Hey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey

Hey everyone, I'm new here. I think I have come to the conclusion to venture into opening my own BBQ Catering. I'm sure you have all heard the what do I do next question, but I'll spare you. This is how I have come to the conclusion to dabble in catering. A few 4th of July's ago, I smoked a Pork Butt for family and a few friends. Now every Christmas Eve and 4th I have more and more people showing up, and everyone raves about the pulled pork. My wife who has a degree in restuarant management has been on my case for 4 years to start selling my pork, so this is where I stand now. Trying to figure out how big of a smoker trailer I need. Any advice I will gladly accept. Thanks.

Adam, and GOOD LUCK!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Welcome... and before you worry about the actual equipment... find about $30K you don't have another use for. THEN go looking
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

While its nice to see that you are enthusiastic about starting a business, I wouldn't suggest going to the bank for a loan, because you want to "dabble" in catering. In order to be licensed, you will have to make a pretty significant investment in equipment and a facility to hold it. There are some ways around some of that, but not all. In addition, depending how you incorporate your business, you will want to discuss what sort of insurance coverage you will need to protect yourself in the unlikely event somebody chokes on a rib bone.....

Doing a bit of stuff for close family and friends is one thing, but when you start advertising, and charging money for your products, you are opening a huge can of worms.......

Good luck.
        Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

welcome and good luck....The only way I can help is to advise listening to Rich and IC.
          sigpic
          GMG Daniel Boone
          UDS
          Weber 22.5" Kettle (blk)
          Vision Kamado grill
          Weber Genesis Silver
          Smokin Tex
          MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5
          Maverick ET 732
          Brown and lime green ThermaPens
          2 orange ThermoPops
          A-Maze-N Tube 18"
          A-Maze-N Smoker 5"x8"
          Vortex

Comment

That's why I joined Irish, I figured I'd have to have all my ducks in a row before I go swimming.

Comment

Welcome from the Truckee Meadows of the Reno/Tahoe area Good luck too!
              Last edited by dsgarner06; 06-18-2015, 04:34 PM.
              Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
              Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
              A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
              A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
              Frogmats
              Maverick ET 732
              Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Adam80 View Post
                That's why I joined Irish, I figured I'd have to have all my ducks in a row before I go swimming.
                If you are looking for on-site catering and or food truck kinda stuff..look up an "STFU" and associated licensing and whatnot. No, that's not a "shut the fuck up" but a special transitory food unit.
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Thanks Rich

Comment

from Utah
                    Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
                    Weber 22.5" WSM
                    Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
                    Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
                    Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
                    Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
                    Weber 18.5" Kettle
                    Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
                    Weber Smokey Joe
                    GMG Daniel Boone
                    Pit Barrel Cooker
                    Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
                    6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
                    Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
                    The Vortex

Comment

People saying that they would buy your BBQ and their actually doing it on a regular basis may not be the same thing. I ran into that when I was smoking alot of fish back in the 80s. A local deli shop had some of my fish & he bugged me to let him sell it in his deli. Turns out the sales were not great and he stopped ordering after two months, saying he couldn't believe it didn't sell better. The quality and price was there but it didn't sell well. If you can try to sell some through an established place and it actually sells well, then an investment to expand would seem prudent. I truly hope it works well for you. I always have folks telling me that I should sell my BBQ & smoked stuff and my usual reply is, "Then it will turn something that I love doing into work". Of course I am 61 and not looking to work anymore. Hell, I just retired last year. LOL Good luck.
                      MES 30"
                      A-Maze-N pellet smoker
                      Weber 22" kettle
                      E-Z-Que rotisserie
                      Weber Smokey Joe
                      Big Weber Gasser
                      Cracker Smoker
                      UDS

Comment

L20A,

That's a pretty good idea. The problem around my area is its a lot of chains. No small shops to get an in on. Alot of people in my area love BBQ, but a brick and mortar won't make it, that is why I'm looking into being mobile, it expands my area greatly, and the area I live in has a lot of things going on right now development wise. There may be 1 in in the neighboring state, but I'm sure that's a.whole new set of permits and everything.

Comment

Yeah, it's pretty expensive to do it right and above table. Trust me. It's one thing serving family and friends, another whole deal going public. Codes, licenses, insurance, etc... like IC said. It is a full time commitment, not just a dabble.

Think about it, investigate all the local laws and red tape before you jump in... and good luck with your new venture should you decide to do it!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Welcome from Dayton!! Now go smoke some meat!!

I can tell you this, it will consume ALL of your time, and then some!! Good luck!!
                            Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
                            Yoder YS640
                            Weber Genesis
                            Weber 18.5" Kettle
                            Weber Performer
                            Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

1, Welcome from Florida!
                              2, Rich an IC (did I just type that?) steerin you right!

Ya might check out Sebokes trials that started here,
                              http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27838

Ya can look through his progress here,
                              http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sea...archid=2093290

But it started way before that, he been workin up to it for a long time. Got his ducks in a row and, when he had the cash to toss, pulled the trigger.
                              He now has graduated from a trailer to a real "food truck". Boy doin good, doin what he likes!
                              Butt he got his feet wet catering a good bit, and waited till he had disposable cash.

He not around often,but if ya PM him he'll answer when he round.
                              Also on facebook https://www.facebook.com/SargesSmokehouseBbq?fref=ts

Not to discourage ya, just get yo ducks in line an best O luck to ya!

Down here seems everyone want to open a Q joint or Italian Restaurant. The two highest failure rates in the industry! And the failure rate for new restaurants is 98% in the first three years.
                              Mark
                              sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                              Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Working...
                              X