This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beef Brisket - Progressive Thread - Smokin for my grandsons bday

I am honored to have this thread made into a sticky. Within it you will find several things. First and foremost I believe that it does contain everything you need to know to cook a brisket. Second it contains the fellowship, heart and soul of smoked-meat. The banter, wit and humor that brings all of us here day in and day out all good thread seem to have it. Last but not least you will find words of encouragement and support that we have for everyone here.

One additional thing. Hindsight is always 20/20. After reading the thread I have been allowed to make corrections and add notes you will find these notes in Bold

And SmokeFromHell, just follow my lead. Lord only knows folks learn from the mistakes I make everyday.

Nakid Brisket flat. Light trim on the fat cap. Washed and and patted dry. Starting weight 11.43 pounds

Here is a bowl of my homemade rub. SmokeFromHell I'll make ya a deal son, I'll send my rub recipe to richtee if you send your sauce recipe to him and we will let him post them at the same time. Then again anyone with a sauce in the market place should be able to make a decent rub

I coated the brisket Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce and gave it a good massage. The i dusted it with rub. Some folks rub it in, myself i kinda just smash it into the meat. I may use to much rub but i like it that way

Last but not least i wrapped it in plastic for a fridge nap until it hits the smoker in a few hours

Stay tuned its going to be fun

One knock against this thread was I did not post my rub recipe. So you can find it here;
    http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...722#post450722
    Last edited by DDave; 09-16-2017, 05:39 PM.
    Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

I'm in your corner on smashing it into the meat also
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn
      Is it done yet?
      Pirate chaplain to carp commander.... i aint even started the smoker yet

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by crusty ol salt View Post
        Pirate chaplain to carp commander.... i aint even started the smoker yet

What flavor of smoke is this beast getting??
        sigpic

Comment

I am a hickory kinda guy, maybe some oak too

i will be using stubbs briquettes and royal oak lump as my heat source

sigpic

Comment

Very nice... and "rub" is a noun... not a verb. It IS OK to press..or "smash" it in. But actually rubbing it... is pointless, wasteful and messy.

Gooo Pirate!
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
              Very nice... and "rub" is a noun... not a verb. It IS OK to press..or "smash" it in. But actually rubbing it... is pointless, wasteful and messy.

Gooo Pirate!
              its all them there fancy cookin shows... them there guys and gals always seem to be rubbin there meat

sigpic

Comment

Gooo Pirate!
                My thoughts also sir

I need to get a Jaccard (sp) to JAM that rub into the meat....
                sigpic

Comment

Like Jeff Foxworthy you might be a "redneck"

If this photo needs explaining..... you need to send me a PM. Honest please dont proclaim ya'll dont get this in public.

Last edited by DDave; 09-16-2017, 05:40 PM.

sigpic

Comment

I am humble opinion if you want to get rock n rollin you need some hot shit

This would be hot shit

hot shit in the belly of the beast

just charcoal with flash.... much neater when its hot shit

Last edited by DDave; 09-16-2017, 05:41 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Gooo Pirate!
                      I remember when i first started, i really tried to rub it in. it turned into this red spicy paste like goop all over the place. not so funny back then. LMAO now thinkin bout it

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                      My thoughts also sir

I need to get a Jaccard (sp) to JAM that rub into the meat....
                      I have often wondered about core injecting rubs...

Originally posted by RowdyRay
                      I'm going to refrain from all the rubbing, massaging and smashing innuendos I could respond with. No 'splaining needed here. Just show me the beefy goodness when it's done, my pirate padre.
                      Beefy goodness is what we are shooting for. Good Lord willing and Zombie apocalypse does happen

sigpic

Comment

attention shipmates, this is your pirate chaplain. we are currently smoking at 225*F

At the time of meat thermal probe insertion our brisket temperature was 147*F

It does appear the the brisket temp has crept up 152*F in the picture

here is the star of tonight's smoke "Brisket"

the fat is starting to break down, you can hear it dripping into the smoker and the smell changes in the back yard

Just cruising along - Smile and wave boys - Smile and wave

Just a thought here. I do not foil anything, nothing, nope not at all. That is just my thing. Other smokers will tell you to foil around 165*F. There is no correct answer to this, no one person is right or wrong. My suggestion, find what you are comfortable with and develop your own style.

Very random thought, I wonder how many actually catch the Madagascar Penguins reference there???
                        Last edited by DDave; 09-16-2017, 05:41 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Oh Yeah!!! Gonna be Great, Swashbuckling Padre!!!

I agree----Rub is a noun, unless you want to "Rub it Off".

Bear
                          Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                          Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

bet it is resting for the party about now right????
                            Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
                            Yoder YS640
                            Weber Genesis
                            Weber 18.5" Kettle
                            Weber Performer
                            Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Well now, everyone correctly guessed that the brisket is done and resting. I have grab a shower and a nap.

I am firing up the smoker for a second round dutch's wicked baked beans

now where is my coffee
                              Last edited by crusty ol salt; 09-28-2013, 09:08 AM.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X