brisket opinion's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brisket opinion's

I bought a 2.5 brisket other day for decent price. I have done several before an have done the rubs an various injections. all were very good !! but never
    really done burnt ends(it all just disappears). so that is what I am thinking with this one. burnt ends an make chili or sammies or both.
    started just with salt & cp on this one an have a pan under for drippings. have it in the smoking-it smoker with pecan & apple chips. so looking for opinions an options on how to turn this into burnt ends ? thanks !!

Burnt ends usually come from the "point" section of the brisket. From the photo, it looks like you have a piece of the "flat". Usually, you smoke the whole brisket together for 6-8hrs, then split the 2 apart along a line of fat that divides the point/flat. Put the flat into foil/or not, and back in the smoker. Cube up the point into inch or so cubes, toss in some rub, and back into the smoker. Some sauce, some glaze, some just go with the rub.
    Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Originally posted by IrishChef View Post
      Burnt ends usually come from the "point" section of the brisket. From the photo, it looks like you have a piece of the "flat". Usually, you smoke the whole brisket together for 6-8hrs, then split the 2 apart along a line of fat that divides the point/flat. Put the flat into foil/or not, and back in the smoker. Cube up the point into inch or so cubes, toss in some rub, and back into the smoker. Some sauce, some glaze, some just go with the rub.
      I was kinda figuring I had a flat. was just hoping I could do same thing with it. since it's small an pretty even thickness was thinking it would cube up nice an even.
      the brisket is at 156 degrees now.

Comment

As IC noted, typically the Point for BE's. Although, the Flat's work OK, just not nearly as well as the Point. Most of the time when i cook briskets, I will cube up the whole packer & vac pack/freeze. Pull out a 1.5-2 pound bag thaw & finish with the BE's process in an aluminum pan on a kettle or smoker. That seems to work best for us. Great to take to parties too
        sigpic

Comment

Now would be about the time to cube it up. Gonna have a different texture than a true BE, but chewiness aside, it should work.....might want to smoke/foil/smoke them for a while

Comment

yes I was definitely thinking of foiling for awhile. I was thinking since I put foil pan under for drippings I would put brisket in pan with lid at about 170 degrees. then cube up at 190ish degrees an replace in smoker in pan but no lid ? how does that sound ? any thing I should do different ?
            Last edited by buckeyesmoker; 10-04-2013, 12:53 PM. Reason: added step

Comment

Originally posted by buckeyesmoker View Post
              yes I was definitely thinking of foiling for awhile. I was thinking since I put foil pan under for drippings I would put brisket in pan with lid at about 170 degrees. then cube up at 190ish degrees an replace in smoker in pan but no lid ? how does that sound ? any thing I should do different ?
              Yep that sounds good... if you have any Ajus or beef broth that would be good to add to the pan as well.. about a cup worth.. I add a bit of worshy as well.. a few splashes.. not a bunch..
              Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
              Yoder YS640
              Weber Genesis
              Weber 18.5" Kettle
              Weber Performer
              Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

I am sure I have some broth I can add. hadn't thought of worsy. like the idea. also was thinking of little MH rub after the cubing.
                meat is at 170 now. so I am debating on cubing now or real soon or waiting till
                about 190. thoughts ??

Comment

okay, cubed an dusted with MH at 190 mark. replaced foil an placed in smoker. but starting to wonder if I should have left it off ?

Comment

How tender were they? That would be the main determination. Keep in mind, they are meant to be double smoked.

Comment

I would open it up, let those puppies breath....Oh, still!
                      Mark
                      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

can't help as never made them.

But they are supposed to be the be all and end all of bbq.

So at some point I'll to make some.
                        They had some decent sied rolled briskets at costco last week (only way you can buy them in the uk).
                        So I'm thinking about it, bloody pricey though.

Your's are looking good so far
                        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by IrishChef View Post
                          How tender were they? That would be the main determination. Keep in mind, they are meant to be double smoked.
                          tender but not fall apart tender. or even as tender as my brisket usually is at the finishing point. had some errands to run. but I am heading out now to uncover an check on them.

Comment

Yes, you have a small flat there but it's all good if you cook it right. See if you can find yourself a small packer brisket which will include the point on it. The marbling of the point on a brisket is unlike any other piece of beef you'll find, and that's what most use for burnt ends. Some places just sell the point, but I have yet to see that around here. Normally your Super Walmarts carry packers, as well as Restaurant Depots.
                            Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                            My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                            @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinOutBack View Post
                              Yes, you have a small flat there but it's all good if you cook it right. See if you can find yourself a small packer brisket which will include the point on it. The marbling of the point on a brisket is unlike any other piece of beef you'll find, and that's what most use for burnt ends. Some places just sell the point, but I have yet to see that around here. Normally your Super Walmarts carry packers, as well as Restaurant Depots.
                              I've seen Walmart occasionally selling just points.

I've never really done burnt ends. I've done them in a crock pot cause I had to go church. Maybe Sunday I'll try. I would think cubed up they'll still get tender. Can't wait till finished pics. I hope they turn out great! We just need to change your name go cornhuskers!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X