Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chuck Eye Steaks (Finally found some)

Chuck Eye Steaks (Finally found some)

Every time I see some Chuck Eye Steaks posted I get the urge to look harder for them in my stores. So Mrs Bear finally found a couple for us to try. She got “Choice” Chuck Eye Steaks for $4.50 per LB.

So here’s our opinion of our First Chuck Eyes ever:
    Looked Great in the Raw.
    Fell apart before they got to the Grill.
    Grilled Nicely, and looked very good after Grilling.
    Had Great taste——Similar to Ribeye in flavor.
    Meat was very chewy with lots of Gristle. About 20% was inedible due to toughness.

I may try this again to see if these were just a bad pair of steaks, but only if they’re very cheap again.
    We were very Disappointed.

Bear

Started with a couple pounds of Chuck Eye Steaks @ $4.50 per pound:

Closer look shows it was $4.494 per pound (Choice):

Falling apart before they got to the Grill:

While we’re waiting, a Pic of my front yard—Dandelions finally gone:

Looking Pretty Good !!

Only about half of one steak fit on my Sizzle Plate, along with some Broccoli & some Roasted Reds:

And a Quick look inside:
    Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Your not alone in being a bit disappointed in them. I have had them twice, and both times they didn't satisfy. They looked good, and parts of them tasted good, but at the end of the day they just don't measure up to really good steak. Maybe I'm spoiled or fussy, but I certainly know what makes me happy and these just do not.
    Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
    My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
    @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

I agree. They have to be priced very low. They do have a good flavor, but a lot of grizzle and are not as tender as a ribeye or a strip steak. They are good for fajitas.
      Down here the stores think they are extra special and price them that way. The ones at Publix were priced at $8.99 a pound. Yet strip steaks reg price of $7.99 a lb and ribeyes at $8.99 a lb on sale. Same prices at Sam's.
      I won't pay that kind of price for them. So, we rarely cook them.
      Jim

Comment

I've had mostly good experiences with the Chuck Eyes. Just did 4 on the Smokey Joe last week. I will agree they have more grizzle than a Rib-Eye, but they usually on run $5 a pound around here at most. For comparison purposes, Rib Eyes are about $11 a pound and Strip Steaks are about $8 a pound. I prefer them to the Strip Steaks even at the same price point.

Comment

Those were the hidden gem about 10 or more years ago around these parts. Hidden gem only because they were not the best steak, but for 2.99/pound they were aight. Now they are double the price, and I just walk by and roll my "chuck" eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinOutBack View Post
            Your not alone in being a bit disappointed in them. I have had them twice, and both times they didn't satisfy. They looked good, and parts of them tasted good, but at the end of the day they just don't measure up to really good steak. Maybe I'm spoiled or fussy, but I certainly know what makes me happy and these just do not.
            Thanks Jim!
            I ate the other half, and that had a little less Gristle, but it still aint no Ribeye!

Bear

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
            I agree. They have to be priced very low. They do have a good flavor, but a lot of grizzle and are not as tender as a ribeye or a strip steak. They are good for fajitas.
            Down here the stores think they are extra special and price them that way. The ones at Publix were priced at $8.99 a pound. Yet strip steaks reg price of $7.99 a lb and ribeyes at $8.99 a lb on sale. Same prices at Sam's.
            I won't pay that kind of price for them. So, we rarely cook them.
            Yup---I'd never pay more than $5 for these.
            I'm getting to be a Ribeye Snob, because I'm not crazy about Strip Steaks either, and IMHO, the only good part of a T-Bone or Porterhouse is the small Tenderloin side.

Bear
            Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Comment

I only wish I could buy any decent beef for under 5 bucks per pound!
              FYI: a decent BBQ sized cut of steak around here is @ 15 bucks, per steak!
              (and that's not even close to 16 oz, maybe 10 oz)
              Any Chuck for me is in for a 48 hour marinade, minimum. (72 is better if it's "fresh!)
              I find Chuck really tasty as long as it's kept to medium rare. Can't say I bbq with it anymore but I certainly did when I was still wet behind the ears.
              Weber 22.5
              Lil Chief
              1950's Crosley Shelvadore
              Bradley Smoker
              Maverick ET732
              Nesco Dehydrator
              Thermapen "Blue Bayou"

Comment

They look good and perfectly grilled, but I get the grissle thing. I have yet to try them. Rarely see em here
                sigpic

Comment

Have never had one...
                  But with this review
                  I would love to try one
                  I don't mind chawin around some gristle...That's where the best flavored meat comes from...
                  Craig
                  sigpic

Comment

Bear sorry you never liked them,,, one of my favorites here,, little cheaper here also,,, I have them quite often. Yours did look a little on the fatty/grizzley side that what I get,,,

I take them all the time on camping trips,, great with a baked spud from the fire pit.

Good luck on the next go round.

DS
                    Desert Storm Vet - USS Midway CV41 - decom crew.
                    1930 Fridge Build
                    MES 30" With Mailbox Mod
                    Therma Pen
                    Maverick 732
                    Mini Therma Pen
                    Frog Mats
                    Weber Junior
                    AMPS & AMPTS

Comment

Originally posted by pitchintense View Post
                      I've had mostly good experiences with the Chuck Eyes. Just did 4 on the Smokey Joe last week. I will agree they have more grizzle than a Rib-Eye, but they usually on run $5 a pound around here at most. For comparison purposes, Rib Eyes are about $11 a pound and Strip Steaks are about $8 a pound. I prefer them to the Strip Steaks even at the same price point.
                      I think I'm spoiled, because I always buy my Prime Rib/Ribeyes on sale.
                      The last ones I got were in March, when I got "Choice" for $4.99 a pound.
                      And that stuff is about 100 times better than this was.
                      If I had to pay $11 for Ribeye, I would think again though.

Bear

Originally posted by 206 View Post
                      Those were the hidden gem about 10 or more years ago around these parts. Hidden gem only because they were not the best steak, but for 2.99/pound they were aight. Now they are double the price, and I just walk by and roll my "chuck" eyes.
                      I can understand that.

Bear

Comment

I have had them in my hand and put them back... now I am glad I did... I am sure they are okay but we can get better steaks for that price... they were 6.99 here... Nice cook though!
                        Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
                        Yoder YS640
                        Weber Genesis
                        Weber 18.5" Kettle
                        Weber Performer
                        Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by XLR8R View Post
                          I only wish I could buy any decent beef for under 5 bucks per pound!
                          FYI: a decent BBQ sized cut of steak around here is @ 15 bucks, per steak!
                          (and that's not even close to 16 oz, maybe 10 oz)
                          Any Chuck for me is in for a 48 hour marinade, minimum. (72 is better if it's "fresh!)
                          I find Chuck really tasty as long as it's kept to medium rare. Can't say I bbq with it anymore but I certainly did when I was still wet behind the ears.
                          Yup prices like that would change attitudes on what is acceptable.

Bear

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                          They look good and perfectly grilled, but I get the grissle thing. I have yet to try them. Rarely see em here
                          Exactly----If I saw it again for under $5, and all other steaks were over $9, I would consider it again.

Bear

Comment

Me likes your steaks :)
                            They look mouth watering good
                            Cooking on a Kingstone grill, nothing fancy but
                            always fun.
                            Me loves some nice southern style barbecue... ah and some nice asian food ;)

Comment

Well, let's face it... they're chuck roast cut into steaks. Chuckies need to be cooked for a lot longer. They look great John, butt they're Chuckies, and ain't gonna get tender unless they're cooked to death. I'da gone with the ribeye...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Working...
                              X