Brisket on the new 26'er

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brisket on the new 26'er

I depleted my reserve of BBQ brisket so I was due to cook another one. I am building a custom 26" Weber Performer so I figured it was time to break it in. I assembled it in factory form and seasoned it with some Kingsford the day before. While the kettle was seasoning, I prepped a prime 15.75# packer. I trimmed a pound and a quarter of excess fat and then I made my rub.

The rub consisted of equal parts Kosher salt, CBP, garlic granules, then about half as much ground onion, green chile powder, and about half again of paprika and cumin. For grins I added some ground portabella mushroom powder.

I gave the brisket a good coating and left it sit in the fridge overnite.

The next day I got up and prepped the new 26'er. I used Cowboy oak lump charcoal and spread some hickory chunks on top in the "snake pattern" and lit one side.

Once the new Webbah reached 225° I added the slab 'o cow and the probes. I played with the exhaust vent and was able to keep the temp between 225° and 245° so I was very happy with the new grill. As the line of coals was running out before the brisket was one, I spun the grate and added more charcoal and added some cherry chips to the end of the snake. Here it is mid point just hitting the stall temp.

When the flat hit 185° I pulled it and cut off the point to make burnt ends. I added more rub to the newly exposed part of the flat and finished it and the burnt ends in the oven. Yeah, I got lazy, but it was too close to dinner time. The brisket came out great. It had a great flavor and was tender and moist. I also got my smoke ring back, something I don't get with the MES and pellets.

Here is a closeup of the same shot.

Thanks for lookin!

Looks good.
    Jim

Comment

Considering that I'm a big beef fan from Oklahoma, I'd say you did just fine.
      sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Looks great! Nice new toy
        sigpic

Comment

Excellent! Smoke ring looks right to me...
          Craig
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys. I can't wait for it to cool down a bit to work on the custom cart/table for this thing. It's a beast!

Comment

Originally posted by AJ View Post
              Thanks guys. I can't wait for it to cool down a bit to work on the custom cart/table for this thing. It's a beast!
              Cant wait to see it!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                Cant wait to see it!
                X2!
                Craig
                sigpic

Comment

Nice work on the brisky in the 26'r, looking good!
                  --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
                  www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Nicely done AJ!

Man, all this mention of 26'rs... got me thinkin'...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                      Nicely done AJ!

Man, all this mention of 26'rs... got me thinkin'...
                      I hear you p4...coppertop is lookin... Cat Daddy got that gig jacked up good!
                      Sunset Eagle Aviation
                      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Working...
                      X