Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some basic questions about doing my first brisket

Hey guys,

I wanted to get some input from the brisket experts. I have smoked quite a few things over the last couple of years, but have never attempted a brisket before. I have always been a bit intimidated by the brisket, as it required more skill to cook properly than other meats, and therefore I have been avoiding it. But I feel I need to move full steam ahead and conquer my fears by smoking my first brisket. So I am hoping you guys could help me with a few basic questions.

1. Should I smoke a flat, the point, or go for the whole packer?

2. Should I season with just salt and pepper, or use a rub with more ingredients like paprika and garlic? Will it make a difference with the bark color and taste?

3. What temperature should I smoke it at?

4. What woods would you suggest?

5. Do I need to spray or mop it doing the cook, or is it not necessary?

6. Fat side up or down if I am using a vertical smoker?

7. Once it starts to stall should I wrap in foil or paper, or just keep in on the smoker and let it continue to cook till it is done?

8. What temperature should it reach when I remove it from the smoker?

9. Once it is done should I wrap in towels and let it sit in a cooler, or is that step unnecessary if I let it rest for an hour or so wrapped in foil?

Sorry to bother you guys with some basic questions, but I want to do this right, and respect the experts on this website. Any additional suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I of course will take photos and make a video to share with all of you when I actually cook it. Thank you in advance for your advice.
    Smoking Salmon the easy way, Smoked Tri Tip, Smoked Baby Back Ribs, Smoked Pork Loin, Apple Smoked Bacon, Slow Cooker Carnitas with Pico de Gallo, Slow Cooker Beef Stew
    Smoked and Cured Chicken using Pop's Brine,Smoked and Cured Pork Loin with a Whiskey & Orange Glaze,Smoked and Cured Turkey

The variation of answers should be interesting, and they'll all be right!!!

This is how I cook a brisket...
    (The Franklin Method)

1. Whole
    2. Just Salt & Pepper
    3. 275 (250 to 300 on a stick burner)
    4. Oak or Pecan
    5. Not necessary for brisket
    6. Fat side up, 1 hour per lb, 1/3 on the grate 2/3 on cardboard 3/3 wrapped in paper
    7. Wrap in butcher paper, the pink if you can find it
    8. One hour per pound
    9. One to two hour rest in a closed ice box wrapped in paper
    Attached Files
    Last edited by HornedToad; 06-06-2017, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Here's a good place to start...

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6210
      sigpic
      New Braunfels Bandera
      New Braunfels Hondo
      4-22.5" Weber Kettles
      1-26" Weber Kettle
      24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
      Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
        /\/\/\/\/\/\/\ What Mikey posted, The Capt knew his chit!

As HT posted, there are several correct answers to each question!
        I would follow the Capt's lead to the "T"!
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Follow this. You will not be sorry.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Feel free to search out on threads where I posted about brisket. Lots of opinions on methods, all equally valid if you enjoy the end result.
            sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
              /\/\/\/\/\/\/\ What Mikey posted, The Capt knew his chit!

As HT posted, there are several correct answers to each question!
              I would follow the Capt's lead to the "T"!
              Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
              Follow this. You will not be sorry.
              What they said.
              CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
              UDS 1.0
              Afterburner
              Weber Performer
              Blue Thermapen
              Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
              Auber Smoker Controller
              Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
              -
              "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

I would like to add my perspective...

Brisket has a reputation of being the hardest thing to cook right that it scares folks into thinking that they will fail...

WTF? The process for cooking a brisket is pretty much the same as cooking a pork butt or chuck roast...

I cook brisket in my stick burner around 220 - 280...Nothing scary there...I let it smoke with no spritz or mop till the temp reaches 170 internal...Usually takes around 10 hours to get there because I don't rush perfection...Then I put it in a pan with just enough beef stock to cover the bottom of the pan...Foil tightly and back to cooking at the same temp as before...Usually doesn't take long to climb to the desired temp of 205...

This is where I stray from conventional wisdom...
                After resting for several hours in the cooler I remove the meat from the pan and refrigerate till the next day...The juices go into the fridge also...When it's time for slicing I slice it cold...A brisket that is cooked to 205 would not slice well at all when warm...When chilled I can slice it thin and reheat it with some of the reserved juice...I have the best of both worlds...Sliced brisket that was cooked to temp for pulling...Tender and juicy...

But that's just me...
                Lots of ways to end up in the same place...

But! NEVER forget to slice it against the grain...

Brisket aint scary...Just cook it...
                And then cook 10 more...You're gonna love it...
                Craig
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                  Brisket has a reputation of being the hardest thing to cook right that it scares folks into thinking that they will fail...

WTF? The process for cooking a brisket is pretty much the same as cooking a pork butt or chuck roast...

I have wondered about this also. Was very apprehensive on my first brisket. Came out real good. Then the second one. Came out real good also. Then I started wondering what all the fuss was about.

Figured it must be one of three things.

1. I got lucky.
                  2. I possess BBQ skills that mere mortals can only dream of.
                  3. It's not really that hard to cook a good brisket if you can maintain steady temps.

I did several so I ruled number 1 out. And I'm pretty sure it wasn't number 2.

So it must be number 3.
                  CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                  UDS 1.0
                  Afterburner
                  Weber Performer
                  Blue Thermapen
                  Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                  Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                  Auber Smoker Controller
                  Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                  -
                  "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post

But! NEVER forget to slice it against the grain...
                    Originally posted by DDave View Post
                    Figured it must be one of three things.
                    3. It's not really that hard to cook a good brisket if you can maintain steady temps.

I did several so I ruled number 1 out. And I'm pretty sure it wasn't number 2.

So it must be number 3.
                    Not taking in to account you are both accomplished Pit Masters. For someone used to grilling burgers and dogs, not so much.
                    A brisket is nowhere near as forgiving as a butt! There are a lot of ways to make it tough or mushy. Yes there are a lot of different ways to skin that rabbit that will give you a great outcome. There are also a lot of ways to bugger it up. Tough, mushy and/or over cooked and tasteless. The first one should be done with some good guidelines, then experiment. Just learning to maintain steady temps can be a challenge for a NewB.
                    No it should not be feared, it's not that hard. But it is a large expensive hunk of bovine. If the first one is messed up, prolly won't try another.

Just mt $.02
                    Mark
                    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Working...
                    X