Tri Tip. how to get it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tri Tip. how to get it.

Another question was raised about Tri tip, so here it goes.
    Your local butcher may know nothing about this cut, but it is no mystery and it's not new.
    In much of Europe the tri-tip is usually sliced into steaks, known as "triangle steaks" in the United Kingdom. In France the tri-tip is called aiguillette baronne and is left whole as a roast.[3] In northern Germany, it is called Bürgermeisterstück or Pastorenstück, in Austria Hüferschwanzel, and in southern Germany it is called the same name as the traditional and popular Bavarian and Austrian dish "Tafelspitz", which serves it boiled with horseradish. In Spain, it is often grilled whole and called the punta de triángulo. In Central America, this cut is also usually grilled in its entirety, and is known as punta de Solomo, and in South America, it is grilled as part of the Argentine asado and is known as colita de cuadril, in Colombian cuisine it is a popular cut for grilled steaks and is known as punta de anca, and in Brazil it is a common cut for the traditional Brazilian churrasco and is known as maminha.

This cut is very versatile in how it can be prepared. The traditional Santa Maria style of cooking is barbecuing at low heat over a red oak pit but the tri-tip can be slow-smoked, marinated or seasoned with a dry rub. It is cooked over high heat on a grill, on a rotisserie, or in an oven. After cooking, the meat is normally sliced across the grain before serving

I think it is the fault of modern day mass production, advertising, packaging and price point production. Truth be told, this is the easiest peice of beef to ruin by bad carving. Some of you have heard me wail about this in the past and are probably a little tired of it..But there is an educational componant here as well. Think about carving a flank steak. Carve it 90 dregees to either side of correct and you've got shoe leather. When you have a triangular peice of meat, where do you start?
    Treat it like you do your Briskets, , ,mark it before you cook it, until you get the hang of it.. Then slice it thin.
    I pull mine at 130ish. It tapers down so you'll get some well, medium well and rare
    This next link shows the precise area the tri tip comes from but if your butcher doesn't get whole quarters they probably won't recognize it, because a quarter is more than one primal cut and often the primal cuts damage the tri tip. And then it goes to burger meat.
    http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/tritip1.html

If you take this info to a butcher that gets quarters or good primals, they will be able to carve you some tri tips. The primal is a sirloin, the breakdown is a bottom sirloin and the tri comes from the bottom of the bottom sirlion. It is a totally seperate muscle and it is easy to identify as such.

Hope this helps.
    Welcome any corrections or comments.
    JT

Thanks for the info, But what about a quad tip? Just kiddin, some times I'm just an ASS. I never see them TT around here but would surly like to try one from the posts I have seen smoked on this forum. I think I finally got a guy.

Comment

Great post, JT.

I'd give you but it says I need to spread them around a bit.

Still laughing about the prime rib that was a "panty dropper".

Dave
      CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
      UDS 1.0
      Afterburner
      Weber Performer
      Blue Thermapen
      Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
      Auber Smoker Controller
      Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
      -
      "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

I think its kinda a Left Coast thingy, kinda like Good looking women....JK.... Its very popular here in WA and a great cut for a decent price around me.... Had always just grilled them, until recently smoking one... What a treat!!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
          Had always just grilled them, until recently smoking one... What a treat!!
          Amen brother, I've seen the light too!
          JT

Comment

Here's another observation JT.... Don't get me wrong, I LOVE them with oil, CBP and Kosher Salt... But they really seam to take a wet marinade very well... Some of the best Tri's I have had were marinaded... Any thoughts??
            sigpic

Comment

Brined, spritzed, injected, basted, glazed, spanked and dressed in high heels. Even pureed and hooked to an IV before bedtime. Love my Tri's
              JT

Comment

Originally posted by Whisky Fish View Post
                Brined, spritzed, injected, basted, glazed, spanked and dressed in high heels. Even pureed and hooked to an IV before bedtime. Love my Tri's

I think you're obcessed with the Tri Tip... welcome to the club. Smoke and seeds forever.
                GOSM Big Block
                Weber 22 1/2 in. grill
                Brinkman all-in-one charcoal and gas
                Pepperhead Award posthumously-

Miss you Rich- How's the ABT's up there?

Comment

Awe hell JT, I'd take mine dressed up in heels too! Just cleaned the freezer out of the last one.. cuz I got me some pig comin'... now I want more Tri! shit the other day at the store they wanted 6.99 lb... AYFKM? American money? hell no! I will stock up next time they go on sale!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Originally posted by Whisky Fish View Post
                    I am on your page JT
                    sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

The Birth of The Tri-Tip Santa Maria Style

This bit of info comes from Raichlen's BBQ USA book, Pages 186-187

The year was 1952. The place, an old Safeway store, long since razed, on the corner Mill and Vine Streets in Santa Maria, Ca. Filling in for the regular butcher, who was on vacation Larry Viegas was busy butchering beef loins, separating the tenderloins from the top block sirloins. As was the practice in those days, he trimmed off the fibrous, triangular tip of the sirloin and set it aside to be ground into hamburgers or cut into stew beef.

Only the meat department already had more ground beef and stew meat than it could sell that day, so the meat department manager, a one-armed butcher named Bob Shultz, told Viegas to put the tip of the sirloin on the rotisserie. "Are you nuts?" replied the latter. "It'll be tough as hell." At Shultz's urging, he seasoned the meat with salt, pepper, and garlic powder and threaded it onto the turnspit. What a surprise when the two men tasted it! Spit roasting kept the meat moist; cutting it into thin slices across the grain kept it tender; and it had the rich, sanguine flavor of costlier sirloin.

The store manager came into the meat dept. just as the two men were sampling the meat. "What the hell's that?" he asked, not thrilled that his employees were lunching on Safeway merchandise. "Tri-tip," blurted out Schultz, mindful of the cut's triangular shape. "What the hell's a tri tip?" grumbled the manager. "It's not in the meat cutter's handbook." It was hardly an auspicious start for a regional barbecue classic.

Now a days with all the big box stores, the friendly, helpful gent behind the meat counter at the local meat market is a thing of the past and has been for some time. There's not a whole lot of butchering going on these days. This is the main reason why they're so hard to come by East of the Rockies. Just to add to JT's post in regards to marking the grain; I use 3 toothpicks since after smoking or grilling, the grain is hard to see. And to think they grind em up for burger meat
                      sigpic
                      New Braunfels Bandera
                      New Braunfels Hondo
                      4-22.5" Weber Kettles
                      1-26" Weber Kettle
                      24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
                      Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

Originally posted by Bbqgoddess View Post
                        Awe hell JT, I'd take mine dressed up in heels too! Just cleaned the freezer out of the last one.. cuz I got me some pig comin'... now I want more Tri! shit the other day at the store they wanted 6.99 lb... AYFKM? American money? hell no! I will stock up next time they go on sale!
                        That's what I've been saying! Sam's Club finally got some in, but priced higher than the prime rib! One day I noticed some ready to go out of date and they were still marked $4.39. I still may never get to sample any tri tip. I refuse to pay that kind of money for it when I can get packer briskets for $1.99.
                        sigpic
                        Smoke Vault 24

Comment

I've gotten what I know was tri-tip twice. Both times it was labeled Bottom Sirloin - London Broil. Even better than eye of round and about the same price. I won't pay over $4.00 lb for any cut of meat either... I just can't! But I did get some very nice rib-eyes for 3.99 a couple days ago. Grillin' them tonite!
                          DennyD

GrillPro charcoal cabinet smoker, CharGriller Pro, 22" CKG(cheap kettle grill), 16" UniFlame kettle, Firepit/smoker stickburner, Brinkman gasser w/smoker box

Comment

Working...
                          X