X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looking fo more outlets myself. i went by central meats in chesapeake today

wagyu brisket packer $10.99 per lb

certified black angus packer $3.99 per lb

i actually think the certified black angus is in line with other black angus products, but i have no clue about the wagyu products?
    Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Don't want to upset anybody but...the question was asked about price of meat.

If your buying your meat in any store, your getting raped. Over priced and you have no idea how the animal was cared for or fed.

Most, if not all of us in this country live with-in 30 miles of a meat house/butcher shop. Maybe not as many of us, live near where the meat is born, raised and taken to market.

So if you live in an area where the meat is born and raised, why not go talk to one of them fine famalies about purchasing a cow, letting them feed and take care of it and drive it to the butcher? The savings and meat quality will far exceed what you get in any grocery or super sized box store.

When we first started out here years ago, most of it went to the feed lot. Over time, as meat prices went up, more people started asking about meat from us and we were taking less to the feed lots. This year so far we have taken 28 and sold them at auction, the rest have all been spoken for. Now, we have people showing showing up to buy and the calves haven't even appeared yet.

If you go to a local producer and buy from him, by the time all is said and done and the butcher process the meat, you will be down to about $1.05 a pound for the beef, at least around here. Now thats everything, briskets, hamburger, steaks, roasts, ribs, stew meat. You show me someplace you can get a porterhouse of filet mignon in any grocery store or super sized box store for that price and I'll give you a piece of this place.

The benefits are more than price. That cow will be pasture raised and have real taste, it won't be pumped full of hormones and junk, it will be exposed to less disease.

You all do the math, buy a calf for $75 - $100, plus another $100 - $150 for feed and care. Butcher hits you for about $0.75 a pound for processing and sometimes includes delivery and aged to your specs. So you get around 900 pounds for about $500 - $600.

You can't beat it. All you need is a deep freezer. But don't call us, our fall calves are all spoken for.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by davidmcg View Post

If your buying your meat in any store, your getting raped. Over priced and you have no idea how the animal was cared for or fed.

Most, if not all of us in this country live with-in 30 miles of a meat house/butcher shop. Maybe not as many of us, live near where the meat is born, raised and taken to market.

So if you live in an area where the meat is born and raised, why not go talk to one of them fine famalies about purchasing a cow, letting them feed and take care of it and drive it to the butcher? The savings and meat quality will far exceed what you get in any grocery or super sized box store.

When we first started out here years ago, most of it went to the feed lot. Over time, as meat prices went up, more people started asking about meat from us and we were taking less to the feed lots. This year so far we have taken 28 and sold them at auction, the rest have all been spoken for. Now, we have people showing showing up to buy and the calves haven't even appeared yet.

If you go to a local producer and buy from him, by the time all is said and done and the butcher process the meat, you will be down to about $1.05 a pound for the beef, at least around here. Now thats everything, briskets, hamburger, steaks, roasts, ribs, stew meat. You show me someplace you can get a porterhouse of filet mignon in any grocery store or super sized box store for that price and I'll give you a piece of this place.

The benefits are more than price. That cow will be pasture raised and have real taste, it won't be pumped full of hormones and junk, it will be exposed to less disease.

You all do the math, buy a calf for $75 - $100, plus another $100 - $150 for feed and care. Butcher hits you for about $0.75 a pound for processing and sometimes includes delivery and aged to your specs. So you get around 900 pounds for about $500 - $600.

You can't beat it. All you need is a deep freezer. But don't call us, our fall calves are all spoken for.
        well put, Shaking the hand of the people who raise you meat is great. I do it alot.

Plus you dont have to deal with Tyson, Smithfield, Wal-Mart, Costco, etc. and all the "enhancements" they inject your meat with.
        Just because you welded some shit together doesnt make it a WSM.

Twitter: @GrubSeeker

Comment

Man guess I ought to move to Kansas we do the same around these parts but the going rate on the hoof is 1.75 a pound and .35 cents a pound to cut and wrap still a great deal though....
          Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
          Weber 22.5" WSM
          Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
          Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
          Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
          Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
          Weber 18.5" Kettle
          Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
          Weber Smokey Joe
          GMG Daniel Boone
          Pit Barrel Cooker
          Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
          6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
          Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
          The Vortex

Comment

Great point Dave, I certainly would be in line for your stock if I lived closer!

I frequent the Amish country in PA, they have some great meats that just beat the hell outta what I can get here in DE. Prices on brisket here in DE are ridiculous, and all you can ever get is flats. If I drive 20 miles up the road to PA, the price drops, and the quality goes up dramatically.

I need to find a black angus farm...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I've seen reports of folks from around the country reporting cryovac packers for $1.98 a lb. That's what they are here. Even the Sam's Clubs that have them are reportedly more. That's why I'm no longer a member. Why pay them to have to shop as carefully as at any other supermarket, or risk paying too much.
              DennyD

GrillPro charcoal cabinet smoker, CharGriller Pro, 22" CKG(cheap kettle grill), 16" UniFlame kettle, Firepit/smoker stickburner, Brinkman gasser w/smoker box

Comment

I never much cared for the quality of Sam's or Walmart's meat. Ever since Walmart fired all their butchers for trying to organize, I haven't bought a single piece of meat from them
                Am I the only one that believes the quality went down and the price went up when they got rid of the butchers?
                Meat is cheaper and fresher at the smaller stores around here anyway.

Tom

Comment

Went into WM Supercenter this afternoon fer some pool stuf for the grand daughter....took a look fer a briskey or a packer...buck 98 a pound...all gone. Didn't want one just checkin their meat...Yike's...i'd go broke buyin from them!
                  Sunset Eagle Aviation
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by chisoxjim View Post
                    well put, Shaking the hand of the people who raise you meat is great. I do it alot.

Plus you dont have to deal with Tyson, Smithfield, Wal-Mart, Costco, etc. and all the "enhancements" they inject your meat with.
                    Hey Jim, we enhance our meat, all of us around here do. But we use brome, praire grass and other legumes. I know its not the same, no preservatives and other junk. Not to mention the rubs and marinades I use once I get it on the prep table.

One of the best things about this is when somebody who isn't accustomed to the type of meat you get this way is when they call and want to know why the meat has yellow crumbly fat instead of that thick, hard white fat they used to see. Grass fed with very little corn and lots of exercise does wonders for the color and quality of meat.

Just make sure when you shake their hand their hand is clean and they don't have gloves on.
                    sigpic

Comment

as far as the MI area, doesn't Meijer's carry packers? it's been a LONG time since i've been there at all (i used to live there and my inlaws are in Pewamo, MI, so we visit about twice a year or so), let alone to look for a specific cut of meat, but it would make sense to me that they would have a decent selection of meat.

as far as prices go for buying a cow around here, last I heard, it was about $1.25 per pound, you pick it up. As much as i'd LOVE to get a half cow (or more preferably, a full pork), I need a bigger freezer first. the only draw back to that is if I get a new deep freeze, I need to move my work bench in the garage for the 3rd time in two and half years. the though has crossed my mind though. lol

if my wife would stop throwing more of her shit out there, it would help out a lot too...

Later,
                      Andy
                      Current babies:
                      -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
                      -RichTee's Lang :)
                      Former Lineup:
                      -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
                      -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
                      -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
                      -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
                      BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

Comment

Hey Jim, we enhance our meat, all of us around here do. But we use brome, praire grass and other legumes. .

those types of enhancements I can deal with.

the ones I cant are the chemicals, and salt solution that get pumped into commercial pork and chicken to jack up the weight come purchase time, and to help out folks who dont know how to cook to keep thei food from drying out.
                        Just because you welded some shit together doesnt make it a WSM.

Twitter: @GrubSeeker

Comment

Great comments.
                          JT

Comment

well guys, after reading this thread last night, I got a wild hair up my ass and decided to smoke some brisket today/tonight. while I had the smoker up and running, I figured i'd do some ribs for dinner tonight, and a pork butt, then just freeze the left-overs. After going to the store and having the rest of my cart filled up, I went to grab the cold stuff. much to my surprise, there was one brisket left and it cost more per pound than spare ribs... is this normal, or did I really get shafted that bad? i mean pound for pound, there is more meat in a brisket (no bones obviously), but come on...

if I would have been alone and not with my 2 year old daughter who wanted nothing but bikes and grapes and strawberries and beach balls, and DVD's, and spraypaint, and weedeaters, and grass seed and fish and cat food and makeup and glassware and food processors and blankets and every other damn thing she saw, I would have skipped the meat and gone elsewhere, but as you can guess, I was ready to just leave her in the meat aisle and go home. lol

anyway, now I can go lick my wounds and finish prepping my golden cow parts for smoking.

Later,
                            Andy
                            Current babies:
                            -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
                            -RichTee's Lang :)
                            Former Lineup:
                            -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
                            -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
                            -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
                            -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
                            BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

Comment

Lol, I've been there when my boys were younger, now my wife won't bring me to the store, cause as she puts it, " stop putting stupid shit into the cart", I guess I never grew up.

GOSM
                              K.C.B.S Member # 60786
                              Digital Thermometers
                              Hybrid Kenmore grill 1/2 charcoal 1/2 gas
                              140 lb English Mastiff/ American Bulldog, she is my taste tester and BBQ companion.

Comment

I like it when Hy-Vee has a .99/lb sale on butts. they are hormel, and enhanced. BUTT, Fairway will always price match. Fairway has FRESH butts. No enhancements. MUCH better of a butt

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Working...
                                X