Anybody play with pressure cookers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody play with pressure cookers?

Many of us have started using the Sous Vide method for cooking. I been doing it for almost 3 years now. In my research for recipes I have found that Pressure cookers can do just as good a job as Sous Vide with less time. I do Have a American Standard pressure cooker but the only thing I use it for is pickling. So any experienced pressure cooker people out there and how does it compare to Sous Vide cooking?

PBC Drum Smoker
    Bradley Digital 4 Rack
    THE BIG EASY INFRARED TURKEY FRYER
    Miss Piggy Smoker
    Sedona SD-9000 food dehydrator

I've had a pressure canner/cooker for years but really only use it for canning. I did just pick up an InstantPot on black friday so I'm still learning, but I don't have a sous vide to compare it to.

However I made crack chicken with frozen breasts in 15 minutes last week, so the quick cooking thing is really handy. Especially if I forget to defrost something, I can still throw it in and get dinner in a reasonable amount of time.
    Mike
    Life In Pit Row

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I have a small beef roast I might cut in half and cook one in each, pressure cooker & sous vide method to see what the difference is. I need to research more recipes for beef roasts for the pressure cooker before i continue. The price of beef I don't want to screw up even the cheapest cut of beef LOL

PBC Drum Smoker
      Bradley Digital 4 Rack
      THE BIG EASY INFRARED TURKEY FRYER
      Miss Piggy Smoker
      Sedona SD-9000 food dehydrator

Comment

Originally posted by devo View Post
        Thanks for the reply. I have a small beef roast I might cut in half and cook one in each, pressure cooker & sous vide method to see what the difference is. I need to research more recipes for beef roasts for the pressure cooker before i continue. The price of beef I don't want to screw up even the cheapest cut of beef LOL

I know nothing about Pressure cooking, but I wouldn't think you could turn a Chuck Roast or an Eye Round into a Fork Tender Medium-Rare, Pink from edge to edge hunk of meat.

I thought with a Pressure cooker, you can get Tender, but not Med-Rare, but like I said, I don't know Pressure cookers at all.

Bear
        Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

You can get fork tender fall apart chuck roasts with a pressure cooker in about an hour. I just made some beef vegetable soup with mine last week. I also use a SV and I would say the tenderness is about equal. In a SV, it is pretty much just the roast in the bag where in the pressure cooker you can have vegetables as well. I would say a better comparison would be a pressure cooker vs a crock pot. This was the beef I pulled from the pressure cooker, shredded with claws then put back in the soup. Cook time was 1 hour after it had built up pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by strength_and_power View Post
            You can get fork tender fall apart chuck roasts with a pressure cooker in about an hour. I just made some beef vegetable soup with mine last week. I also use a SV and I would say the tenderness is about equal. In a SV, it is pretty much just the roast in the bag where in the pressure cooker you can have vegetables as well. I would say a better comparison would be a pressure cooker vs a crock pot. This was the beef I pulled from the pressure cooker, shredded with claws then put back in the soup. Cook time was 1 hour after it had built up pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what I thought----Pressure Cooker equals High Speed Crock Pot.

Bear
            Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Comment

Yeah..a PC is nothing like a SV unit. PC’s cook fast. High pressure steam, in the neighborhood of 250°F is what does the trick in a PC
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Louie cans only...used to do the food gig...hated cleaning that pot...
                Sunset Eagle Aviation
                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

I had a PC for aboot 20 years, used mainly for canning Salmon/Steelhad. Got rid of it and aboot 150 Ball/Kerr jars, rings, lids, etc. last summer due to lack of use and taking up space. My buddy does the smoking/canning on fish and brings me some when needed

The Instapot thing is sounding interesting to me. A lot of my wife's friends have them, and like them. I like the results from the SV, and want to try finishing SS and or stix in it, but have not done it yet.
                  sigpic

Comment

I like them, they are very useful. They have there place in a kitchen.. I had a pressure cooker xl and used it six times then it crapped out. Checked the warranty and it only was a 60 day warranty.. I have been eyeing the instapot, it at least has a one year warranty from any defects..
                    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Mrs. Otis has an Instant Pot and likes it. Never thought about using it for SV, but the pressure wouldnt be a factor at low temps for SV. I guess I dont see the point, but hey, why not try it? keep us posted.
                      Mike
                      Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
                      POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
                      Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

Comment

SV and PC are conceptually almost the same.

SV cooks at precisely the same temperature using electronics, accurate to less than one degree.

A PC cooks at precisely the same temperature using water boiling temperature under pressure.

Differences: The temperature can be adjustable for a a SV cooker, therefore you can cook at very low temperature. For a PC it can only cook at one single temperature higher than boiling temperature.

A PC can cook meat fast to "falling apart", but not tender.
                        A SV can cook meat to tender.

There is a very big difference in mouth feel between falling apart and tender.

dcarch

Comment

has any one cooked a chuck, CSR or brisket in a SV below 165.......curious what the out come was.............
                          sigpic
                          it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Originally posted by chefrob View Post
                            has any one cooked a chuck, CSR or brisket in a SV below 165.......curious what the out come was.............

Yes---"Chucky"---Best thing I've made yet from SV:
                            Was Unbelievable!!
                            133° for 21 hours was the best after experimenting.

Here it is:
                            http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44414

Bear

Comment

Originally posted by chefrob View Post
                              I've done chuckies and eye of round in the SV...134* for ?? hours, depending on size of roast. Sear. Came oot wunderPhil.

Love the juice it produces...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Working...
                              X