Smoked-Meat Forums

Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Sous-Vide Method

Sous-Vide Method Your Hot Tub Cooking Forum, Learn It, Teach It, Share It.

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Active Threads
0 Still Blonde...
Last Post: chefrob
Posted On: 11-18-2017
Replies: 8
Views: 147
0 PSA: Psst! Get that big bird defrosted
Last Post: AJ
Replies: 5
Views: 50
0 RIP Malcolm Young
Last Post: nickelmore
Replies: 5
Views: 49
0 Sweet Heat Wings and twice Vortexed potatoes
Last Post: HawgHeaven
Replies: 6
Views: 61
0 Boneless & Skinless Chicken Thighs (Second Round)
Last Post: Fishawn
Replies: 8
Views: 123
More...
Mini Stats
Members 7,417 Entries 1
Members Entries
Threads 42,859 Reviews 1
Threads Reviews
Posts 642,594 Polls 36
Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...
Old 09-13-2017, 10:17 AM
The BBQer coneSEWER

Otis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To All
Otis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To All
Default Anyone tried SV Polish Sausage?

Went to a local butcher shop a while back and saw some Polish Sausage calling my name (talking sausage! kinda weird, huh). Anywho, I am going to try them cooked SV for dinner tonight. From what I read on the interweb, temp of 140-160 for 20 minutes to 4hrs is the time frame. Im going to try 150 degrees, which looks to be the best texture, for about 30-45 minutes then either pan or grill sear them. Plan is to serve as sammichs with caramelized onions & Kraut.

Curious how many people have tried them before

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 09-13-2017, 10:34 AM
<--- Me Li'l Sous Chef

HawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To All
HawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To All

Interesting concept. Never done sausage SV'd before... anxious to see your results.

~ P4 ~

There are good ships and wood ships,
The ships that sail the sea,
But the best ships are friendships,
And may they always be.

http://www.hhsbbq.com
Old 09-13-2017, 10:38 AM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

I have used SV to "finish" smoked sausages. Excellent method. I would imagine what you want to try would be fine. Expect very moist, tender links. Id extend the time some tho. An hour anna half would be my call. Remember the links wont come to temp for some time... and you wanna pasteurize/cook them. It IS after all ground meat.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:57 AM
Pit Master

Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All
Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All

Mike,
I haven't tried sausages yet, mainly because my Hot Air Fryer makes the best sausages I ever heated up!!

However here's one from the "Sous Vide Supreme" site that might help:

http://blog.sousvidesupreme.com/2014....XPAt2QTo.dpbs

Bear
Old 09-13-2017, 11:25 AM
The BBQer coneSEWER

Otis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post
Mike,
I haven't tried sausages yet, mainly because my Hot Air Fryer makes the best sausages I ever heated up!!

However here's one from the "Sous Vide Supreme" site that might help:

http://blog.sousvidesupreme.com/2014....XPAt2QTo.dpbs

Bear
Thanks John, I havent done sausage in my air fryer yet. Will definitely have to give that a try too. Interesting how there seems to be little agreement across the interweb over time & temps for SV sausage. I've seen anywhere from 20 minutes to 4 hours and temps of 140 to 175 degrees. Guess consumer level SV is still a work in progress.

Rich, to your point, that's a good idea to go a little longer for food safety reasons. Think I'll go at least an hour or more, but I do like what I've seen for a texture at 150 degrees. While 160 degrees is more like the texture of grilled sausage, at least according to the article below and others, I think I want to try 150 for a more tender texture.

https://anovaculinary.com/the-food-l...-vide-sausage/

I'll post my Learnins tomorrow.

Yoder YS640

Old 09-13-2017, 11:49 AM
Pit Master

Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All
Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis857 View Post
Thanks John, I havent done sausage in my air fryer yet. Will definitely have to give that a try too. Interesting how there seems to be little agreement across the interweb over time & temps for SV sausage. I've seen anywhere from 20 minutes to 4 hours and temps of 140 to 175 degrees. Guess consumer level SV is still a work in progress.

Mike,
For Another Time---Easy & Awesome!!
http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42953

Bear
Old 09-13-2017, 01:05 PM
The BBQer coneSEWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post
Mike,
For Another Time---Easy & Awesome!!
http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42953

Bear
I checked out your post, John. Damn that looks good!! We are loving our Air Fryer. Its too bad our first one, Power Air fryer XL, went out in very short order. We replaced it with a Phillips Digital air fryer cuz the warantee is better. I like the copper pan better on the Power AirFryer better and the presets are nice, but the Phillips works great too.

Gotta try soaking the potatoes for fries first. I think that may be what we are Not doing to make them great.

Yoder YS640

Old 09-13-2017, 05:32 PM
Pit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis857 View Post
I checked out your post, John. Damn that looks good!! We are loving our Air Fryer. Its too bad our first one, Power Air fryer XL, went out in very short order. We replaced it with a Phillips Digital air fryer cuz the warantee is better. I like the copper pan better on the Power AirFryer better and the presets are nice, but the Phillips works great too.

Gotta try soaking the potatoes for fries first. I think that may be what we are Not doing to make them great.

Yeah---Presoaking the fries gets rid of the extra starch & keeps them from sticking to each other.
Then a tiny bit of OO helps them brown.

The Sausage is one of the few things I don't spray with OO before Air Frying.

Bear
Old 09-13-2017, 06:32 PM
Let's Rock Louie!

Slanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To All
Slanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To All

yes i have...smooth bite..jacked em on the weber for a finish...me 83 yo mum...i like this...

Old 09-13-2017, 10:41 PM
The BBQer coneSEWER

Just finished them up, 1.5 hrs @ 150 degrees. Dinner was incredible. Mrs. Otis & I split one cuz they were sum bigguns. We'll save the other one for later. Air fried some french fries, sauteed some onions & opened some canned Kraut.

Ya, I know, I know. Should have taken pics.

I decided to do a pan sear with some butter. They browned up nicely, were juicy without being too fatty, but I think thats the difference between local butcher shop sausage and store bought. Texture was spot on and the flavor was through the roof. Final word - SV sausage is a huge success. I'd do it again in a heart beat.

Yoder YS640

Old 09-13-2017, 10:49 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Kinda figgered it would work oot :{) Nice!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Sous-Vide Method