When Do You Prep Your Ribs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Do You Prep Your Ribs?

Just curious, but when you you folks prep your ribs? Do you rub them the night before or the day that you smoke them?

I started out doing them the night before but here lately I've just been doing them an hour or so before I put them on the smoker.

Thoughts?

Dave
    The night before.
    32.61%
    The day of the smoke.
    67.39%
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

I get the fire going in the Bandera, then prep the ribs and when the fire's ready, on they go. About 2 hrs. after the fire's lit, give or take.
    sigpic
    New Braunfels Bandera
    New Braunfels Hondo
    4-22.5" Weber Kettles
    1-26" Weber Kettle
    24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
    Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

An hour or two is good. I planned a smoke last year, had them all rubbed, and smoker warmed up. Got called out and couldnt smoke em till the next day. They were very hammy.

Comment

Never figured that one out myself...Great poll...I do it few hours before smoke
        Last edited by ALX; 01-24-2011, 12:42 PM.

Comment

I generally get behind, seems like every time. So normally mine get rub as they are going into the smoker.

Comment

prepped... trimmed...when I can. Never rub more than like 6 hours ahead.
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

funny that you posted this because i have 2 racks that i am doing tomorrow and was thinking to myself that i need to go in there and get them rubbed so after reading this i will wait until the morning to get them prepared about 2-3 hours before i put them on and see what a difference it will make
              Mike
              Oklahoma City
              22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
              Weber 22.5 Performer
              GOSM 3405gw
              Boomer Sooner Drum
              Maverick ET-732
              Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
              A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

I've done both,usually try to get em done the night before just cause
                2-22.5'' weber
                1-18'' weber
                1 smokey joe
                22.5'' wsm
                24'' smoke vault
                1-outhouse
                Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Originally posted by doctor phreak View Post
                  i have 2 racks that i am doing tomorrow
                  So do I.

Actually, since I started doing the "brown sugar thing" after the rub, I've just been prepping them after I light the drum.

Dave
                  CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                  UDS 1.0
                  Afterburner
                  Weber Performer
                  Blue Thermapen
                  Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                  Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                  Auber Smoker Controller
                  Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                  -
                  "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Prepped, trimmed and wrapped in plastic wrap at home (if I can get them done) before the comp (one less thing to do). Rubbed no more than 2 hrs before going in the smoker. Like Lee said, the salt in the rubs will make them "hammy".
                    sigpic

Comment

with my schedule smoking has become more of "the spur of moment" very rarely does anything happen the night before...
                      Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Mine will hit the smoker in about 6 hours from now...they're still half frozen
                        I wont rub them till the fire is lit...At least a good hour to warm the smoker and on they go...
                        Craig
                        sigpic

Comment

Normally no more than 3-4 hours before I pop them in the smoker.. I agree with Lee, if done over night and you are using a store bought rub. The ribs tend to be hammy due to the large amount of salt in the rub...
                          Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

I used to do them the night before, but as was stated earlier, they will tend to get hammy. Now, it's about 4 hours ahead of the smoke.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I prep at least 2 hours before going on. Let the stick burner warm up and the heat even out. At comp, being they are inspected, I have no choice but to wait to rub them. We get to them when there is time, after the big meats are set and the chix are done cut 'n boned...yada yada yada.
                              Cool poll Dave
                              Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                              Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X