Why Dry Age When We Have Sous-Vide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Dry Age When We Have Sous-Vide

A few years ago I got into dry aging beef. Steaks, Prime Rib and such. Weeks in the fridge using the drybag stage method. Ended up with a nice piece of dry aged beef but had to cut\trim a heck of a lot off just to have a very tender piece of steak. Now who the hell would want to do that anymore that we have Sous-Vide "Dry aging is the process by which large cuts of beef are aged for anywhere from several weeks to several months before being trimmed and cut into steaks. It's a process that not only helps the steak develop flavor, but also makes it far more tender than it would be completely fresh."

Heck in 20-24 hours I can take a cheap piece of round roast and it will melt in your mouth and I did not have to trim the hell out of it

PBC Drum Smoker
    Bradley Digital 4 Rack
    THE BIG EASY INFRARED TURKEY FRYER
    Miss Piggy Smoker
    Sedona SD-9000 food dehydrator

Originally posted by devo View Post

Heck in 20-24 hours I can take a cheap piece of round roast and it will melt in your mouth and I did not have to trim the hell out of it
    Just another valuable tool in the belt... it's been around for YEARS, and works wonders. I know we are a BBQ/Smoking site, butt this tool rocks out loud in addition to what we do... Naysayers, pay attention ...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

The only thing dry aging has over Sous Vide is the robust beef flavor that is present when aged appropriately. That said as you pointed out and many have come to realize is the time and waste due to the process. At today's meat prices I refuse to dry age any more. I'd rather cook Sous Vide and enjoy every tender fiber of the meat and no waste.

It's an amazing way to cook veggies as well. Sautéed mushrooms and Onions come out so much better with little shrinkage. Yum!
      Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
      Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
      SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
      Yoder Wichita
      Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
      Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
      Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

Glad this thread popped up. I was thinking about bringing some tenderloin to a family gathering next week, have wondered how to impart some smoke flavor in sous vide. I'll finish-sear the beef over hot charcoal but that won't add much smoke. I have read that some folks use earl grey tea or other methods. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Comment

bust me nutz with the SV gig...time management...business...fiddle fart around...itz the thing .... sorry nay sayers...
          Sunset Eagle Aviation
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

So why not sous vide with a beef base rub in the bag? That would impart a more "beefy" flavor. I'm thinking about the base I used for smoked chuckies for starters. It is basically "better than bouillion" beef base mixed with a little olive oil and onion powder.

Guess I need to give this a try and report back.....
            Last edited by dward51; 12-19-2017, 08:08 PM.
            Dave

I love coming home. My back porch smells just like a BBQ joint.....

Comment

gig on!
              Sunset Eagle Aviation
              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Dare I say it I have added a teaspoon of liquid smoke to the bag to get that smokey taste. Be careful though as a little goes a long way with liquid smoke.

PBC Drum Smoker
                Bradley Digital 4 Rack
                Miss Piggy Smoker

Comment

Smoke up some salt and use that. the liquid stuff is just nasty to me anyway...

PS: DO NOT SHAKE liquid smoke if you do use it. Nasties accumulate on the bottom you don’t wanna ingest.

If you got an old bottle..buy a new one and let it sit undisturbed and dump the old. Pour the top 3/4’s of the new gently into the old and toss the last quarter.
                  In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by devo View Post
                    A few years ago I got into dry aging beef. Steaks, Prime Rib and such. Weeks in the fridge using the drybag stage method. Ended up with a nice piece of dry aged beef but had to cut\trim a heck of a lot off just to have a very tender piece of steak. Now who the hell would want to do that anymore that we have Sous-Vide "Dry aging is the process by which large cuts of beef are aged for anywhere from several weeks to several months before being trimmed and cut into steaks. It's a process that not only helps the steak develop flavor, but also makes it far more tender than it would be completely fresh."

Exactly!!
                    I never went for that Dry Aging, because when I buy Prime Rib, I want to eat the whole thing---Not throw 30% away & lose more to drying out. My Prime Ribs are Awesome from the Smoker, and I don't need them to be "Funky" (I believe that's what they call it when they Dry Age).

I'm making a Chuck Roast SV for Christmas Dinner for Mrs Bear & Me, and Bear Jr & his wife.

I'll still Smoke Prime Ribs, but I won't put them in the SV (except to reheat) because they are already Tender.

We'll be consuming a lot more Eye Rounds Bottom & Top Rounds, and Chuck Roasts now that I can make them so Tender & Tasty!!!

Bear
                    Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                      Smoke up some salt and use that. the liquid stuff is just nasty to me anyway...

PS: DO NOT SHAKE liquid smoke if you do use it. Nasties accumulate on the bottom you don’t wanna ingest.

If you got an old bottle..buy a new one and let it sit undisturbed and dump the old. Pour the top 3/4’s of the new gently into the old and toss the last quarter.
                      Got that covered also but the old Doc said to cut back on my salt intake so it does not get used as much as it used to. Been smoking salt for years, nothing new to me.

PBC Drum Smoker
                      Bradley Digital 4 Rack
                      Miss Piggy Smoker

Comment

Don't throw away the trimmed pieces. Grind in to fresh beef for hamburger. [emoji482]

Sent from my A573VC using Tapatalk
                        sigpic
                        Weber 22.5 kettle
                        Smokin in the Smokies
                        Here's to swimmin with bowlegged women.
                        Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Dog BBQ View Post
                          Don't throw away the trimmed pieces. Grind in to fresh beef for hamburger. [emoji482]

Sent from my A573VC using Tapatalk
                          A 5 bone prime rib roast is around 90 bucks and the cheap 8 pound round roast is 38 bucks Canadian, it would be a cold day in hell before I would dry either one out so I had to trim off the outer edges to grind for burger meat.
                          Todays prices of beef do not justify doing any such thing IMHO

PBC Drum Smoker
                          Bradley Digital 4 Rack
                          Miss Piggy Smoker

Comment

Working...
                          X