This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerky basics

Yumm..jerky! Be it venison, beef, turkey...what ever! One of the most compact forms of high energy protein there is. But there are a few rules...

Most jerky is done in a "low and slow" environment, either in a smoker, dehydrator, or both. And it is usually not "cooked". This pretty much mandates a cure. Not a brine. Not a marinade. A CURE. Any meat products that are not brought from 40° to 140° within 4 hours need to be cured.

Not salted, honeyed, ascorbic acid'ed- but nitrate/nitrite cured. Many will debate this, and a few will regret it. Some might not, but it's YOUR choice.

Prague powder #1, or "Pink Salt" is what you want. Or Morton Salt's Tenderquick product. Follow directions to the TEE! Because it can poison you. But most likely will save you. Or at least your TP budget! I use the Morton product, and use the "ground meat" cure rate of 1.5 teaspoons/Lb of meat, not the whole meat measure of 1 tablespoon/Lb. If using TQ, remember it contains salt already, and you will not need to add any. Be conscious of heavy salt containing ingredients as well...soy especially.

If you buy a commercial mix for seasoning, be SURE it includes nitrites/nitrates in the list of ingredients.

For more information, see the "Curing Vs. Brining" topic in the General Information forum

Also, remember that ALL wild game should be frozen for a period of time <See the USDA fact sheet, General Information forum> to assure trichinosis and other parasites are not an issue.

The meat you choose should be very lean. Fat does not cure, and is one of the reasons jerky can "go bad" on you. The fat goes rancid, and ruins the flavor. So trim your meat well! Also, removing all sinew as possible will contribute to a better texture and "eatability".

I usually cut my meat with the grain in the classic jerky mode. Some cut across grain, which will make a more "tender" product. Up to you- try them both. Also there IS a method for using ground meat and a "gun". I have never done this tho.

There are many methods to finish the jerky after the curing phase. Most smoke it- but some just use a dehydrator or oven. I will smoke mine for a couple hours with light smoke and low temps, then use my downdraft oven to finish the dehydration to the point I like it.
    Last edited by Richtee; 07-07-2009, 06:30 AM.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Sure am glad that one dude ain't here to debate you as usual. LOL. Good post Rich.
    Last edited by SmokinLee; 01-27-2009, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinLee View Post
      Sure am glad the ardvark ain't here to debate you as usual. LOL. Good post Rich.
      Bring him on...we'll be sure to tax him without representation first ;{)
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Sure am glad the ardvark ain't here to debate you as usual. LOL. Good post Rich.

Hahaha, thats a good one Lee.

don't forget these threads stay posted !LOL
        Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

no PICS?

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Hmmm. Suppose your right Dan. Maybe I should say the guy with the funny teeth LOL.............OK edit.

Originally posted by Capt Dan View Post
            Hahaha, thats a good one Lee.

don't forget these threads stay posted !LOL

Comment

Hmmm. Suppose your right Dan. Maybe I should say the guy with the funny teeth LOL.............OK edit.
              I guess I screwed that up by quoting you! LOL.:D
              Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

i'm doing jerky today so thanx for the post.
                brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
                18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
                cast iron Hibachi
                22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
                & rotisserator
                12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
                stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
                Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
                http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
                my music recordings-
                http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                  Also, remember that ALL wild game should be frozen for a period of time <See the USDA fact sheet, General Information forum> to assure trichonosis and other parasites are not an issue.

Glad you mentioned this. I've been telling folks this for years, and they don't believe me. I always freeze my venison for about 30 days before eating. Might be overkill, but I don't get sick. And I think that the freezing process tenderizes the meat some. That's compared to the fresh beef I've used for jerky.

All of the jerky I've done in recent years has been with bought mixes. Now that I have the smoker, I'd like to start playing around with my own ideas. So, Morton's TQ will work for jerky? I figured I'd have to find the "pink stuff".
                  S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                  CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                  New Braunfels Bandera
                  UniFlame Gas Grill
                  Lil Chief

Comment

You can use TQ Ray. Just dont add any additional salt to your recipe. Be sure to follow the proper amount per pound.
                    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Smoked-Meat View Post
                      You can use TQ Ray. Just dont add any additional salt to your recipe. Be sure to follow the proper amount per pound.
                      In addition... I had been using the "whole meat" measure of 1 TABLESPOON/Lb. Last jerky I cut it back to the ground meat measure of 1.5 TEASPOONS/Lb. and noticed no adverse effects. I did let it cure for 2 days, and the salt level was a little less.

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                        In addition... I had been using the "whole meat" measure of 1 TABLESPOON/Lb. Last jerky I cut it back to the ground meat measure of 1.5 TEASPOONS/Lb. and noticed no adverse effects. I did let it cure for 2 days, and the salt level was a little less.

Im sure glad your batting clean up..;)
                        Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

I've been using the 1Tbls/lb also... have never been disappointed... that is Tenderquick though... watch the extra salt... like was mentioned... if you use soy sauce or something like that... it's the best jerky you've ever had... I like to also store mine wrapped in a paper towel in a ziplock bag... I like mine a little chewy so I do not dry it until brittle... you want some bend to it, and it will sweat...

sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys,

That is what I was a little worried about. Salt content. I'll try the 1.5 tsp/lbs. ratio and see how it turns out.
                            S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                            CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                            New Braunfels Bandera
                            UniFlame Gas Grill
                            Lil Chief

Comment

Another great post Rich. Thanks.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X