Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for answer

Hi All,
    New to this and been reading a ton of stuff. Seems as most of the popular contributors are professional smokers and do large batches ahead of time.
    My question is :
    Do you have to "rest" meats in a cooler if only preparing for a family and guests?

I read and I think I understand the importance of the "danger zone" and to cool meat as fast as possible when in that zone but don't know if resting outside of a cooler is needed when you are going to pull the shoulder and eat it right away.

Also, I am going to smoke a brisket this weekend (football....go Patriots)
    Do the same safety suggestions relate to beef as to pork?
    Thanks
    Great forum...just overwhelmed with information right now...

Bill

Resting give the meat time to relax and reabsorb the juices...
    sigpic

Comment

Hey Bill,

Most of us are just a bunch of home cooks that started this adventure making delicious meals for our selves and our families. Some have ventured into catering due to their success in preparing delicious smoked foods that others are willing to pay for...but don't let anyone kid you, it's a bunch of work. No matter what, if you have questions, this group is well prepared to help you out and not let you do something crazy! So ask away.

You do not have to rest meats in a cooler. People typically do this if their items are done well ahead of time and you can never predict when something will be done...they are done when they reach the correct internal temperature, and there is no rushing this. That is one of the first things you will begin to understand...you cook to an internal temperature, not for a set time. If you don't have a good thermometer, get one. It will make you a better and more consistent cook. You can keep something hot in a cooler for a long, long, time...and when your group is ready to eat, you just pull it out of the cooler and shred or slice or serve, and I guarantee it will be steaming hot hours after you put it in the cooler!

The "Danger Zone" is a term used in food safety...it is 40°-140° and when smoking meat, you need to get your product through this range in 4 hours. After that, any bacteria that is not killed by the 140° temperature will begin to "bloom" and could in some cases cause intestinal distress . The danger zone applies to pork as well as beef, and is a general term that is used across the board for all meats.

to the forum from Kansas City...and yes, go Patriots.
      BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
      Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
      I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post

Ditto..and BBQE nailed it. Coolers are just a tool. If it’s done at serving time..rest a bit and serve. if early..well.. love me a cooler! If late..shame on you
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
          Ditto..and BBQE nailed it. Coolers are just a tool. If it’s done at serving time..rest a bit and serve. if early..well.. love me a cooler! If late..shame on you
          X3^^^ Resting is a good time diverter if it's done too soon, doesn't hurt a thing at all, I typically rest Pork Butts a couple of hours only because when it's time to eat...it's time to eat. Nobody at that point wants to hear "it's not done yet" and I'll have to go against the grain here and say "GO FALCONS" although not my team I really hate the "Pats" not to mention they're the underdogs.(Atlanta)Should be a good game (let's hope so) the 2 best offenses in the NFL going against each other. Oh and....

from Utah
          Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
          Weber 22.5" WSM
          Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
          Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
          Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
          Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
          Weber 18.5" Kettle
          Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
          Weber Smokey Joe
          GMG Daniel Boone
          Pit Barrel Cooker
          Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
          6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
          Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
          The Vortex

Comment

Hey Bill,

Most of us are just a bunch of home cooks that started this adventure making delicious meals for our selves and our families. Some have ventured into catering due to their success in preparing delicious smoked foods that others are willing to pay for...but don't let anyone kid you, it's a bunch of work. No matter what, if you have questions, this group is well prepared to help you out and not let you do something crazy! So ask away.

You do not have to rest meats in a cooler. People typically do this if their items are done well ahead of time and you can never predict when something will be done...they are done when they reach the correct internal temperature, and there is no rushing this. That is one of the first things you will begin to understand...you cook to an internal temperature, not for a set time. If you don't have a good thermometer, get one. It will make you a better and more consistent cook. You can keep something hot in a cooler for a long, long, time...and when your group is ready to eat, you just pull it out of the cooler and shred or slice or serve, and I guarantee it will be steaming hot hours after you put it in the cooler!

The "Danger Zone" is a term used in food safety...it is 40°-140° and when smoking meat, you need to get your product through this range in 4 hours. After that, any bacteria that is not killed by the 140° temperature will begin to "bloom" and could in some cases cause intestinal distress . The danger zone applies to pork as well as beef, and is a general term that is used across the board for all meats.

You just can't sum it up any better than that, period.
            Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
            My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
            @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

I like to rest for 2 to 3 hours before serving, and it lets the cook rest a bit too and worry about other things... like the sides... coolers are your friend for sure!!
              Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
              Yoder YS640
              Weber Genesis
              Weber 18.5" Kettle
              Weber Performer
              Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Resting is important for both the meat and the cook
                The cooler is used for "longer term resting"...If you finish your brisket or butt close to serving time just cover it in foil and a towel to keep it warm...I think an hour is minimum for a large hunk of meat...Smaller pieces of meat sometimes just rest in the microwave with the door shut...Keeps it warm for a while...But that's just me...
                Craig
                sigpic

Comment

Thanks to all! Figured I was on the right track about resting ( only because of reading info here) . Smoked a couple of butts last week following advice here and came out great. Looking forward to the brisket tomorrow along with some baked bean recipe I found here also.

Comment

Hey Bill,

Dana nailed it perfectly.

from DelaWhere!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

You will be fine. I keep my smoker in the 250-275 range fur briskets. Separate the point when the flat hits 160. Chop up some burnt ends and throw them back in. If the flat is slow to come up to temp you can always serve those BE as an appetizer. You'll be best to let that flat rest a bit after coming out of the heat even if it's on the counter in a pan.
                      sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Blast,
                        BBQEngineer explained it real well.

I'd like to mention in the part about keeping it hot as long as you want in the cooler, that once it drops back down below 140° IT again you don't want to stay in the 40° to 140° very long.

Bear
                        Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by jwbtulsa View Post
                          You will be fine. I keep my smoker in the 250-275 range fur briskets. Separate the point when the flat hits 160. Chop up some burnt ends and throw them back in. If the flat is slow to come up to temp you can always serve those BE as an appetizer. You'll be best to let that flat rest a bit after coming out of the heat even if it's on the counter in a pan.
                          OK...thanks again for the advice. Brisket is ready to go for AM as per "Old Crusty Salt" in the sticky section. Did notice that when we butchered the cow this fall, the butcher must have asked me if I wanted to separate the point from the flat and me not knowing the difference ( this is Pre-smoker purchase) I said yes.
                          No problem but I only thawed the point so the flat is still in freezer for next time I guess. I imagine it will just cook sooner......I do have a tempapen thermometer so will know when it is done.....will let you know.

Bill

The pictures of the burnt ends look delicious

Comment

Originally posted by DanMcG View Post
                            Resting give the meat time to relax and reabsorb the juices...
                            I agree with you on this. Always rest your meat. It makes a better finished product. I let large pieces rest at least an hour and steaks rest as long as they were cooked. That's just me. If you use the advice that you get here on this forum your cooks will be great.
                            sigpic
                            Weber 22.5 kettle
                            Smokin in the Smokies
                            Here's to swimmin with bowlegged women.
                            Jerry

Comment

Good Luck brother and post some pics
                              Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X