Garlic,is there a danger there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garlic,is there a danger there?

way back in the late 70's I used to bring fresh garlic home from the Chinese's garden not far from the shack.

used to peel it all and put in a jar and add evoo. loved it, use the oil on salads, the garlic for what ever I wanted.

then I read an article that said garlic when done like this cause's it to release toxins that are harmful to our health deadly if I recall correctly.
    stopped doing that. then I notice in store they have garlic packed in oils etc.

I have not been able to find the article.

And as of recent the Tv is sporting commercials of copper pans,pots made by various manufacturers.

A bud told me that at one time many chili seasons ago the French tried to wipe out the Italians by sending them copper cook wear. knowing the Italians cooked with garlic and cooking garlic in copper can be deadly.

hmm! I tried google on this, every thing seems to come up about the copper pans etc for sale on the tube. nothing about any dangers related to Garlic and copper. any one know about this??

I have copper cook ware and afraid to use it. as Garlic goes in just bout every thing. even more so with the jar method of removing husk and skin. way to cool and easy.
    sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
    nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Pure BS. Garlic has been packed in oil for centuries. And copper cookware was most notably made popular by French chefs and bakers and still is very popular with chefs. Most copper cookware is lined with stainless, tin, or nickle. The only things I know of is if you use a pot with a worn out lining and that copper is sensitive to acidic foods(like tomatoes and sauce). Acidic foods may lead to the tarnishing of copper. The bare metal(worn through the lining) may leach into foods and can cause illnesses.

The rest sounds like internet BS.

here's a good read on copper cookware...

http://www.cheftalk.com/a/the-advant...opper-cookware

JMHO-YMMV
    Jim

Comment

The things on the Internet, thanks Al Gore!

Saliva causes death. We all swallow it over our lifetime, we all die.

Comment

https://theolivepress.com/news-blog/...l#.V1Chb_krKUk
        Just because you welded some shit together doesnt make it a WSM.

Twitter: @GrubSeeker

Comment

That reference is for garlic infused oil for cooking or dipping.

"There has been some controversy about storing garlic in oil, as keeping garlic-infused oil at room temperature has been associated with the growth of the bacteria clostridium botulinum which can cause a fatal illness known as botulism. However, if the garlic oil is stored in the freezer, the risk of it developing this bacteria are removed."

A totally different process is used for garlic packed in oil, which contains citric or phosphoric acid to increase the acidity to prevent botulism growth. This is referenced in canning books for storing garlic.

Proper food handling is still the best advise.
          Jim

Comment

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
            Ditto.

Myself, if I want a garlic infused oil, I make it fresh, using a microplane on the garlic. I like the texture and the flavor. Add some oregano or rosemary or whatever to it... good chit!

I also have a bunch of copper cookware, all lined inside with stainless steel. Great stuff. They are a real bitch to keep them shiny tho...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
              That reference is for garlic infused oil for cooking or dipping.

"There has been some controversy about storing garlic in oil, as keeping garlic-infused oil at room temperature has been associated with the growth of the bacteria clostridium botulinum which can cause a fatal illness known as botulism. However, if the garlic oil is stored in the freezer, the risk of it developing this bacteria are removed."

A totally different process is used for garlic packed in oil, which contains citric or phosphoric acid to increase the acidity to prevent botulism growth. This is referenced in canning books for storing garlic.

Yes, I recall reading this some where also. and forgot about it. there is something added to ensure bad spores or what ever do not evolve.

The person that told me about the copper and garlic being a deadly combo. is a top notch person. and is in the food industry and an Italian and from Italy brought here By his dad when a child.
              Next Time we chat I am going to ask more about this since I can not find answers to pondering question.That I need answered now.

from what I understand.work at home college kids and also large Blds. have folks whos only job is to keep some things at the top of search engs. and crunch other stuff to the bowels of hell.and if you have an axe to grind they will help. money to keep you at the top and destroy the competition. snopes any more is unaccurate many other search engines
              sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
              nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

well should you manage to incubate botulism - the second you opened the jar you would either drop dead instantly or smell a very strong stench of rotten eggs.
                In either case you would not eat the garlic :-)

Hydrogen sulphide is a by product on anerobic bacteria. Humans can detect hydrogen sulphide with a few as 3 or 4 molecules in a million. As a gas it is significantly more poisonous than hydrogen cyanide.

So you'll either drop dead or go: 'bloody hell that stinks of rotten eggs !'

In other words - it's a load of bollocks :-)
                Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                  well should you manage to incubate botulism - the second you opened the jar you would either drop dead instantly or smell a very strong stench of rotten eggs.
                  In either case you would not eat the garlic :-)

Hydrogen sulphide is a by product on anerobic bacteria. Humans can detect hydrogen sulphide with a few as 3 or 4 molecules in a million. As a gas it is significantly more poisonous than hydrogen cyanide.

So you'll either drop dead or go: 'bloody hell that stinks of rotten eggs !'

In other words - it's a load of bollocks :-)

Thank You CA---The Smell is good info to know!!

I use Garlic Powder, because the Old Gut can't take much Real Garlic.

Bear
                  Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                  Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

me as$ should have been bad sick, numerous times if that was so...me & the garlic & rosemary...forgot basil...
                    Sunset Eagle Aviation
                    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Working...
                    X