No announcement yet.

Venison Dried Beef (Dry cured with TQ)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think i can speak for all of us when i say that you earned them on this one, bear!
    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
    Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

That's some excellent looking venison, Bear. Glad to see you spending some time over here.
      sigpic
      Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post

I only mentioned that, because they did away with them at the other place.

So take it easy---I'm feeling like a beggar!!!
        There's another place?

Listen Bear..I am about the stingiest Mo-Fo on this board with points...if I gives 'em to ya YOU EARNED 'EM!
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I cook and smoke a lot of vension and it's not beef. And dried is jerky. Now if you would have said like chipped beef, I would have understood the title right away. Lol. Interesting. Not sure I'd use my venison for it, but thanks for another idea.

Gotta give ya for sharing this, and for the detailed post.
          S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
          CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
          New Braunfels Bandera
          UniFlame Gas Grill
          Lil Chief

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
            There's another place?

Listen Bear..I am about the stingiest Mo-Fo on this board with points...if I gives 'em to ya YOU EARNED 'EM!
            Thanks Rich---That really does make me feel a lot better!!!

Bear

And thanks Tas & Bassman Too !!!
            Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
            Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRay View Post
              I cook and smoke a lot of vension and it's not beef. And dried is jerky. Now if you would have said like chipped beef, I would have understood the title right away. Lol. Interesting. Not sure I'd use my venison for it, but thanks for another idea.

Thanks a lot Ray!!!

Now I have to explain my feelings on using Venison for "this".

I come from a long line of country PA farm types, who have done an awful lot of hunting & wild meat consuming.
              I probably started eating Deer meat, with my baby bottle in my other hand.
              My mother wasn't the greatest cook in the world, and my Dad wasn't into removing all of the fat from the Venison, so we kids weren't so crazy about chops, & roasts. However we all loved burgers mixed with Deer, Pork, and Beef, but for my taste buds, no deer meat, no matter how it is made can compare to "Venison that is made similar to Dried Beef, or Chipped Beef".

During all of my adult working life, my wife would pack me two sammies.
              If those sammies were ham & cheese, I'd get tired of them in 3 days. Roast Beef---same thing--3 days.
              But Venison made like Dried Beef (Much easier to say Venison Dried Beef---LOL), my wife could make me two sammies of it with American Cheese, on white bread, every day for 3 months in a row, or as long as my annual supply would last. I would never get tired of it!!! I just love this stuff !!

Thanks again,
              Bear
              Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Comment

Thanks a lot Ray!!!

Now I have to explain my feelings on using Venison for "this".

I come from a long line of country PA farm types, who have done an awful lot of hunting & wild meat consuming.
                I probably started eating Deer meat, with my baby bottle in my other hand.
                My mother wasn't the greatest cook in the world, and my Dad wasn't into removing all of the fat from the Venison, so we kids weren't so crazy about chops, & roasts. However we all loved burgers mixed with Deer, Pork, and Beef, but for my taste buds, no deer meat, no matter how it is made can compare to "Venison that is made similar to Dried Beef, or Chipped Beef".

During all of my adult working life, my wife would pack me two sammies.
                If those sammies were ham & cheese, I'd get tired of them in 3 days. Roast Beef---same thing--3 days.
                But Venison made like Dried Beef (Much easier to say Venison Dried Beef---LOL), my wife could make me two sammies of it with American Cheese, on white bread, every day for 3 months in a row, or as long as my annual supply would last. I would never get tired of it!!! I just love this stuff !!

Thanks again,
                Bear
                Hehe. My mom was a great cook, except when it came to meat. ALL meat had to cooked until it was shoe leather. She made sure none of us were gonna get sick from undercooked meat. Lol. Wasn't until I moved out and started cooking for myself, that I discovered how good meat could be. Especially venison.

Now if you took those same chunks, marinate them overnight in McCormick's cracked pepper and garlic, drape a few pieces of bacon over them, smoke til about 145 internal temp, chill, then thinly slice across the grain, you've got some of the best french dip meat there is. A good deli bun.......provolone......carmelized onions and/or mushrooms.......

Different strokes, for different folks. It's all good.
                S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                New Braunfels Bandera
                UniFlame Gas Grill
                Lil Chief

Comment

But Venison made like Dried Beef (Much easier to say Venison Dried Beef---LOL),
                  even easier to say 'venison ham'.

Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                  Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Ray, you do need to tru this out... first it is not jerky, not even close. love this stuff, (have not tried this recipie but sounds like the real deal) i always used curleys brown sugar cure. am going to try this recipe next time. makes some of the best sammy meat you ever had!!!

this is the stuff they do use in SOS, whether beef or venison. never tried it but if Shellbellc reads this i bet she could put some words in on that...

nice job Bear. i was thinking of doing some more of this myself this year... i am going to try some your way and some with curlies recipie and compare. nice job man and thks for sharing!!!
                    Last edited by erain; 12-15-2011, 09:12 AM.
                    Charbroil SFB
                    GOSM
                    MES
                    Dutch Ovens and other CI
                    Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                    Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

I still haven't gotten around to trying Bear's process for this dried beef (venison in this case) but after seeing another awesome thread by Bear I am going to pull the trigger on this soon. I grew up on this stuff and like they said it makes awesome sandwiches or just for snacking. Others might have different names for it and maybe its a regional thing where it gets called something different but around here I would know that as dried beef. But in this case he is using venison so I guess the correct thing to call it would be dried venison.
                      Propane Smoke Shack
                      UDS
                      Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
                      sigpic

Comment

Been a couple years since I did this and I have to thank you for reminding me. I grew up eating the stuff to and yes we called it dried beef,or venison also.jerky is jerky and this is dried
                        Nice job
                        2-22.5'' weber
                        1-18'' weber
                        1 smokey joe
                        22.5'' wsm
                        24'' smoke vault
                        1-outhouse
                        Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                        Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Hehe. My mom was a great cook, except when it came to meat. ALL meat had to cooked until it was shoe leather. She made sure none of us were gonna get sick from undercooked meat. Lol. Wasn't until I moved out and started cooking for myself, that I discovered how good meat could be. Especially venison.

Now if you took those same chunks, marinate them overnight in McCormick's cracked pepper and garlic, drape a few pieces of bacon over them, smoke til about 145 internal temp, chill, then thinly slice across the grain, you've got some of the best french dip meat there is. A good deli bun.......provolone......carmelized onions and/or mushrooms.......

Different strokes, for different folks. It's all good.

Not Fair Ray!!!
                          You make it sound really good !!!

Bear

Comment

Thank All of you guys for the points, but I have to say, I didn't make that comment about that being the first points I got for over a year, in order to drag a bunch of points out of you guys. Heck---Now I gotta go look up how to give them!!!!

I only mentioned that, because they did away with them at the other place.

So take it easy---I'm feeling like a beggar!!!

Bear
                            Yeah yeah yeah... my friend, damn nice to see you over here.
                            Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                            My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                            @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinOutBack View Post
                              Yeah yeah yeah... my friend, damn nice to see you over here.

LOL---Thanks Jim !!

Bear

Comment

say, bear - i am trying this with a trimmed roast from a hindquarter (top or bottom round, i can't remember) - i calculated the tenderquick, added another pinch or so in case i lost any during the rubbing and packaging, then mixed with an equal amount of dark brown sugar, rubbed, and packaged with vacuum seal, which has worked well in my gravlax project:

http://foodsoftheworld.activeboards....ravlax-project

i'll be turning and massaging each day until this coming weekend, and will go from there.

this is something i've been wanting to try for a while, but some of the concepts were a little out of focus. thanks to your post, i was able to gel in my mind what i wanted and how to get there, so thanks!

question - i see you did your project in two stages - curing, then coating the outside with your seasonings while the pellicle formed. have you ever tried adding seasonings while curing, or is it more of a standard practice to do separately?
                                Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
                                Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

Working...
                                X