Can Someone Remind Me . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Someone Remind Me . . .

I've probably read it before. But if I did, I can't remember.

Can someone please remind me again of why we vac pack the cheese after smoking and leave it set for a few weeks before consuming?

Smoked some cheddar today with pecan. I vac packed it and dutifully stashed it in the fridge . . . but I want to eat some.
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Dave,

Isn't the tem Meld...To blend or mix...The smoke applied to the exterior will work it's way into the center of the cheese...it will become softer and permeate the rest of the brick. It will make a better product that is infused throughout.

At least that is what I have always assumed.
    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
      The smoke applied to the exterior will work it's way into the center of the cheese...it will become softer and permeate the rest of the brick. It will make a better product that is infused throughout.
      Ah yes . . . that does sound familiar.

Thanks for that.
      UDS 1.0
      Afterburner
      Weber Performer
      Blue Thermapen
      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
      Auber Smoker Controller
      -

Comment

On the other side of the coin...

A friend of mine smokes cheese in his Yoder and then we eat it the very next day at work... Bo problems...

I also think that if you are using the cheese in other foods (grated in tacos etc...) there is very little value in the two to four week rest...

But that's just me...
        Last edited by SMOKE FREAK; 10-17-2016, 07:37 PM.
        Craig
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post

A friend of mine smokes cheese in his Yoder and then we eat it the very next day at work... Bo problems...

I also think that if you are using the cheese in other foods (grated in tacos etc...) there is very little value in the two to four week rest...
          Well..grating mixes the interior and exterior... evening out the smoke. If yer wanting thin slices to eat with the cheese as a major player... wait it out. It’s worth it.
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Personally, I have eaten it fresh ootta the smoker, cooled to room temp and its OK, butt "its a little harsh" in the words of Carl Spagler. Rest is good & thyme is your friend IMO.
            sigpic

Comment

It goes the same for the smoked nuts I like to make....they are ok right out of the smoker, but they are killer if you can wait afew days.
              sigpic

Smoked-Meat certified Sausagehead

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1443745685

Comment

to answer the question ;-)

When you smoke cheese you end up with a thin but intense - almost bitter - layer of smoke on the outside of the cheese.
                the vacpacking gives this layer time to work it's way into the cheese to give a more mellow overall flavour throughout the whole block of cheese.

I find that 3-4 days is enough for a block of cheese about an inch thick. The thicker the cheese the longer you need to leave it.
                So if you buy a large block of cheese slice it into thinnish chunks before smoking and you'll get full smoke penetration a lot quicker :-)
                Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

I have no answer since I have never smoked cheese. But my mouth is watering at the thought...I loves me some smoked cheese!
                  sigpic
                  "Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
                  Tom, smoker of meats and fine cigars
                  UDS, Viking grill

Comment

Originally posted by Tomshoots View Post
                    I have no answer since I have never smoked cheese. But my mouth is watering at the thought...I loves me some smoked cheese!
                    If you decide to smoke your own, a word of caution... Don't ask Rich for advice...

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
                    Paul

Comment

And that photo brought me to this forum from SMF. Funny, sad, dark, and oh so true. If one fellow can boil cheese in a smoker and post it, then that's the community for me. Feel free to vac seal a few hunks and ship them to Tulsa!
                      sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Personally I think waiting is more important on harder cheese than on the softer types.

Bear
                        Last edited by Bearcarver; 10-18-2016, 10:41 AM.
                        Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post

But that's just me...
                          However I do vac seal all my cheese and it lasts for months in the fridge...Well some of it does
                          Craig
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                            Personally, I have eaten it fresh ootta the smoker, cooled to room temp and its OK, butt "its a little harsh" in the words of Carl Spagler. Rest is good & thyme is your friend IMO.
                            Got a little impatient today and had some.

Yep, harsh. Needs more time.

Not horrible but not as good as the last batch that I let sit for about 2 weeks before I stared eating on it.
                            UDS 1.0
                            Afterburner
                            Weber Performer
                            Blue Thermapen
                            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                            Auber Smoker Controller
                            -

Comment

All good things come to those who wait! (Yeah, whatever!) Just let it rest at least a week. :0)
                              Weber 22.5
                              Lil Chief
                              1950's Crosley Shelvadore
                              Bradley Smoker
                              Maverick ET732
                              Nesco Dehydrator
                              Thermapen "Blue Bayou"

Comment

Working...
                              X