Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My smoked cheese is horrible. What went wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would like to ask for recommendations for a good pellet to use for cold smoking. I was going to smoke some cheese this weekend and was going to use Traeger pellets. I have the tube smoker. Little late to get new pellets from the link Mark R. shared. I am wondering if there might be other good choices. thank you

Comment

Originally posted by gmotoman View Post
      I would like to ask for recommendations for a good pellet to use for cold smoking. I was going to smoke some cheese this weekend and was going to use Traeger pellets. I have the tube smoker. Little late to get new pellets from the link Mark R. shared. I am wondering if there might be other good choices. thank you
      I like lumberjack about the cheapest ones available to me. I've used the green mountain pellets before for cold smoking and it turned out good. Those are probably more easily to get just find a dealer. Around here I think everyone is a dealer. I'll use traeger in my grill occasionally but not for cold smoking, just something about them.
      sigpic

Comment

Here on the west coast we have a Bear Mountain brand that I swear by. 100% of whatever wood it claims to be. Most of the rest are 90% alder and 10% claimed wood on the label. And then there's the Chinese crap Traeger is hawking....
        I use Bear Mountain Cherry for 4 hours, let it mellow for a month, and the result is awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

What about some chips/local stuff? Add some finings from your charcoal bag..should smoke up fine.
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
            What about some chips/local stuff? Add some finings from your charcoal bag..should smoke up fine.
            Kind of what I was thinking. Maybe stuff the tube smoker full off wet apple chips(which I have) and place on a couple of coals????

Comment

Here is how I do it in my mes 40. I use a masterbuilt cold smoke attachment with cherry or apple pellets. I also attach a chimney made of large soup cans and gorilla tape that I stick over the mes outlet. I have four cans taped together for about a just under two foot chimney. I attach it with metal duct tape for an airtight seal where it meets the smoker. Yes, it is as ugly as it sounds but it seems to help the flow quite a bit. Two hours in the smoke and into the vac sealer it goes. I don't have a pic of this but I'll try my best to start a thread next time I smoke cheese and or nuts.
              Weber Smoky Joe
              18" Weber Silver
              22.5" Weber Gold
              22.5" Weber Silver
              UDS X 2
              Masterbuilt 30" MES digital
              Masterbuilt MES 40" digital
              Masterbuilt cold smoke attachment
              Char-Broil Big Easy 3 in 1
              Char-Broil COS with Ron Fischer mods.
              Dual Char-Broil BBQ Bistros
              Blackstone three burner flat top
              5" AMZNPS
              Vortex x 2
              Maverick ET 73
              Maverick ET 732
              Maverick Pro Temp instant read thermometer
              Thermo Works Smoke Dual Channel Thermometer
              Pitmaster iQue 110
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gmotoman View Post
                Kind of what I was thinking. Maybe stuff the tube smoker full off wet apple chips(which I have) and place on a couple of coals????
                Well.that might fire it all... small chunks inside. Might have to nuke the chips if they that wet.
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

This a pic from when I smoked the cheese. I also smoked eggs. They weren't as bad. I actually ate them.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

Just curious if you cut off some of the outside, and then tried it?
                    sigpic

Comment

I say shred it and try it on tacos or something...I'm sure it will turn out fine if used right...
                      Craig
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                        I say shred it and try it on tacos or something...I'm sure it will turn out fine if used right...
                        Yeah give it the taste test and see. This is actually a really good idea.

Comment

I get great results using Bear Mountain Washington Apple pellets as well as Cascade Alder. Make sure your cooker has good air flow. Other than keeping ambient temp under 80 degrees F (to try to avoid the cheese sweating oil) you should be good.
                          Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
                          Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
                          SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
                          Yoder Wichita
                          Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
                          Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
                          Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

As far as Temps go, I'd check with Rich!!

He has Smoking Cheese down to a Science.

Hmmm, Can't find my Pic!! Fishawn has a small pic (above).

Bear
                            Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                            Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                              As far as Temps go, I'd check with Rich!!

He has Smoking Cheese down to a Science.

Hmmm, Can't find my Pic!! Fishawn has a small pic (above).

Bear
                              Now Mr. Bear would you make that picture easy to get a hold of if you were this site's Admin? The real question is how much did that evil Washingtonian pay Rich to use that picture in perpetuity. Just saying.

Comment

I cut the rind off the cheese and it is still very strong but tolerable with crackers and pepperoni. By the time I cut the rind off there is not much cheese left but at least I'm salvaging some of it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X