Leaving an electric unattended

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
    I guess I'm old school about this, but I don't think any smoker, elec or otherwise should be left unattended. You never really know what may happen to cause damage to the smoker, your house, patio, or who knows.

My view.......

If you don't have time to do it properly and watch and take care of the cook.
    Don't do the cook til you do have the time to do it right.

I think people are relying too much on electric gadgets to watch and do the cook for them. Then they ask why it didn't come out the way they expected. Answer, maybe if you had been there and paying attention to your cook, you could have done something to change the final outcome of the cook.

Sorry for the rant.
    I agree with this 100%
    Craig
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
      I agree with this 100%
      Yep, I do too. It's one thing to run to the store quick, but leaving it go while I went to work? Never.
      Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
      My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
      @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

I can be in my house while my MES runs on my front porch, but I would never go away or go to bed with mine running.
        Maybe it would be different if I had it in my yard or in my driveway, away from my house, but mine sits on my Wood Front Porch, with a wood roof over it, attached to an ALL Wood house, so I keep an eye on it while it's doing it's thing.

I know one guy who had his MES door go up in flames, and he was lucky he was near it when it happened. Apparently grease got into the door somehow, and then ignited.

Master built gave him a new door.

Bear
        Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

I learned my lesson in college, never leave any heating device unattended. I was doing a load of dishes in my apartment and had to run to the convenience store down the street (probably to buy beer). when I came back the whole apartment smelled of burnt plastic. So I popped open the dishwasher to see a cloud of smoke. While I was gone it had kicked over to the drying cycle and it was one of those with the exposed heating element (like an oven). Sometime during the washing a plastic spatula had been knocked out of the rack and down onto the heating element where it promptly melted once the drying cycle started. I think a couple more minutes at the most and it would have caught fire.

So now there are only two things capable of generating heat in my house that run unsupervised. One is the gas furnace and the other is the pellet stove. Back when I used and MES it was on a concrete slab behind and away from the house and even then I never ran it unattended.
          Mike
          Life In Pit Row

Comment

Originally posted by strength_and_power View Post
            That's impressive. What's the full story?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Been quite a few years, but as I recall the fat from the ribs dripped down on to the heating element and caught fire. Black smoke was pouring oot! Luckily, it was sitting away from the house & I was around & frequently checking on it. I unplugged it and waited for the fire department to show up J/K, just let it burn oot before opening it an hosing it all oot, cleaning & drying it oot. That's been prolly 12 years ago.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X