Posted On: 01-16-2018
Replies: 15
Views: 193
0 The most satisfying sound...
Last Post: Kicken Asphalt
Replies: 10
Views: 161
0 Venison Backstraps (Super-Tender & Tasty)
Last Post: Kicken Asphalt
Replies: 5
Views: 91
0 S.I.P raised bed planters
Last Post: Otis857
Replies: 17
Views: 171
0 Shredded Chicken Fritters
Last Post: Slanted88
Replies: 16
Views: 167
More...
Mini Stats
Members 7,522 Entries 1
Members Entries
Threads 43,183 Reviews 1
Threads Reviews
Posts 648,421 Polls 37
Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...

Old 02-07-2010, 11:22 PM
Smokin meat Wu-Tang Style

wutang Is  A Name Known To All
wutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To All
Default Parkay on Ribs, A blind taste test.

I have read on here a few times that lots of comp cooks use parkay on their ribs. It also came up a few times on that Pitmasters show. So I figured I would do a little blind taste test experiment

2 slabs of trimmed spares on the UDS. Identical rub on both. Burning RO lump and pecan & apple chunks.

About 2 hours later, ready to foil

The "control" slab. Layed the ribs on a bed of honey, brown sugar and a splash of apple juice. This is the same as I have done the last few times I have made ribs

And the experimental slab, the same bed of honey, brown sugar, apple juice but also added parkay

Ribs are done. The slab on the left is the parkay slab

First off neither slab ended up quite as tender as I would have liked. Maybe just a few more minutes in the foil than it got.

Results... My wife (a rib lover) ate one rib off each slab without knowing which is which. She says that the "control" slab seems to have more flavor.

My sister in law and her husband both chose the "parkay" ribs saying the the flavor and texture were better. But in doing so they both thought they were choosing the standard ribs and were surprised when I told them the picked the parkay ribs.

I thought both were pretty good. I prefered the standard ribs. I kinda felt like the rub flavor was a little stronger on the standard ribs and it seemed like the parkay kind of washed out the rub. But I am the only one who knew which I was eating so maybe my opinion should be tossed out. I would say that definitely the ribs I made a few weeks ago were better than either slab I made today. Oh well, maybe try again next weekend.
KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 02-07-2010, 11:26 PM
canal Zone Brat

Kyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God

they sure do look good. both of them.

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:27 PM
Learning from the Best

DDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To All
DDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To All

I like your scientific mind. If you ever need another taste tester, just let me know. They both look pretty good to me.

Dave
Weber Performer
Blue Thermapen
Auber Smoker Controller
Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88

-

"All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010
Old 02-07-2010, 11:33 PM
Thin & Blue brother <3

Bbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To All
Bbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To All

Great post Adam, I have not heard of the parkay thing.. what is the purpose? and why parkay? ribs look tastey both slabs!

PROUD MEMBER # 49
The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged PINK THERMAPEN

Old 02-07-2010, 11:34 PM
Bourbon bifocals

Uncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To All
Uncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To All

Oh dang Adam! I'll buy the ribs and you can "try again" next weekend over here bud!!
Thanks for sharing!

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
Clint Eastwood

Old 02-08-2010, 12:14 AM
Smokin Cowboy

mulepackin Is  A Name Known To All
mulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To All

I know a good many steakhouses around here put a pat of butter on the steak right as it is finishing its time of the grill. They swear it enhances the flavor. I suppose it is the same theory here. Haven't tried it myself. Thanks for the scientific comparison.

Beef. It's whats for dinner.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:17 AM
Meat Mopper

smokin aces Is Better Then Most In His Neighborhood At Grilling & Smokingsmokin aces Is Better Then Most In His Neighborhood At Grilling & Smoking

the flavor says butter
Old 02-08-2010, 12:35 AM
Fire Starter

cjinvancouver Is Just Starting Out

Hey Adam, the ribs look excellent. I sometimes do something kind of similar when I am "Grilling" steaks, trip tip, or chicken. That is in a sauce pan, I melt a cube of butter, about 10 cloves of garlic crushed, 1 cup or so of red wine, and a packet of italian seasonings. I heat this very carefully on the stove so I do not seperate the butter. Then as the chicken or usually Tri Tip is about done, I start basting with the above. This puts a very tatsy glaze on what ever I am cooking and also in the case of cooking chicken breasts, keeps them from drying out. Again I use this in Grilling, not smoking. Just wanted to share.
Craig
Old 02-08-2010, 09:37 AM

wutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To All

thanks everyone. I also have done what was mentioned about putting butter on a steak fresh off the grill. I think it adds a richness and maybe that is what is supposed to happen with the ribs. I guess I will keep experimenting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbqgoddess View Post
Great post Adam, I have not heard of the parkay thing.. what is the purpose? and why parkay? ribs look tastey both slabs!
I believe it is just for flavor. From what I have read a lot of comp cooks swear by it. Maybe a few of our comp cooks can add more info.
KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan
Old 02-08-2010, 09:41 AM
Orycteropus Bbqensis

curious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To All
curious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To All

what's parkay ?

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head
Old 02-08-2010, 10:08 AM
in Memoriam

Capt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
what's parkay ?
It is margarine, which is mostly vegetable oil.

Being fairly new to the comp thing, we do use it. I think it helps put a little crust on the outside of the ribs(meat side), but we use about 2-3 times that much, and double the honey and brown sugar. The judges seem to like very sweet ribs, at least up here they do.

I wouldn't do that for normal eating though. Remember we are trying to wow the judges with just one bite. Most comp cooks don't like to eat much of their comp food, thats why they give as much of it away as possible.

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)
Old 02-08-2010, 10:12 AM
Orycteropus Bbqensis

Quote:
Most comp cooks don't like to eat much of their comp food, thats why they give as much of it away as possible.
There's something very wrong there lol

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head
Old 02-08-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Dan View Post
I think it helps put a little crust on the outside of the ribs(meat side), but we use about 2-3 times that much, and double the honey and brown sugar. The judges seem to like very sweet ribs, at least up here they do.
I will have to try it at least one more time then and use a lot more. Thanks for the info Capt. Dan. I plan on getting into comps soon and need all the help I can get.

Quote:
I agree, it does seem kinda crazy.
KCBS/CBJ #56408

Old 02-08-2010, 10:39 AM
in Memoriam

Capt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God

Quote:
I agree, but its the mindset you hafta have. I am getting used to it, and I can adapt to the style change for a day or weekend. Richtee still has a little trouble wrapping himself around the concept.

I will say, he is learning quite well how to play the game, and after his certified judges class, he will be able to grasp it even more!

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)
Old 02-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Its really smokey in here

ThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To All
ThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To All

I did the same thing yesterday. I added apple cider though, and a little rub as well to the honey and parkay.

They turned out well, but I can't say that i would pass the blind taste test either.

But after seeing Johnny Trigg use it religiously, I'm sure I'll keep it in fridge as well from now on
Old 02-08-2010, 11:36 AM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Well..the reason is you gotta make them SOOO "tasty" they tend to be overboard, Alex. Dan has taught me a few things about that. Itend to cook what I like. Not that that's killed me. Got a couple ribbons on that...but never a #1 yet. That's one of the secrets... GRAB THE JUDGE'S TONGUE!
Old 02-08-2010, 12:42 PM
canal Zone Brat

Kyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God

On the same note as the margine. a national BBQ winner told me that foiling was not a good idea. and instead of foiling, to (at the point the foil would go on) spray the meat with pam,crisco (non alcohol based type spray release)
and with that technique you would recieve more flavor and it would help dryin out.
now with the margrine I would imagine injecting it would be like the same as you have done sparying it on foil. but know it has eneterd the meat better. The ribs would be hard to inject. but can be done very carefully with margine.

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:54 PM
Learning from the Best

DDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To All
DDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderDome View Post
But after seeing Johnny Trigg use it religiously, I'm sure I'll keep it in fridge as well from now on
According to the show, he only does it for comps. Going along with what Dan was saying, even Johnny Trigg says he's not crazy about the taste of his comp ribs. He said in an early episode he prefers them with a little salt, pepper, and some smoke.

Dave
Weber Performer
Blue Thermapen
Auber Smoker Controller
Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88

-

"All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010
Old 02-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Banned

ALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To All
ALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To All

So true captain....Folk who dont compete have a hard time wrapping the old brain around one bite etc...The tenderness/texture still has to be spot on,but i wouldnt eat a 1/2 pound of comp injected brisket either...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Dan View Post
It is margarine, which is mostly vegetable oil.

Being fairly new to the comp thing, we do use it. I think it helps put a little crust on the outside of the ribs(meat side), but we use about 2-3 times that much, and double the honey and brown sugar. The judges seem to like very sweet ribs, at least up here they do.

I wouldn't do that for normal eating though. Remember we are trying to wow the judges with just one bite. Most comp cooks don't like to eat much of their comp food, thats why they give as much of it away as possible.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Pork

Tags
competition, parkay, ribs