No announcement yet.

Me an' mah dog...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is tough...excruciatingly tough. To this day I have to talk of Cowgirl Cassidy in short bursts if I want to remain in control of my emotions. I believe that in the unwritten contract we enter with our pets, we agree to keep them safe and comfortable, provide them with health care, good food and clean water, and operate with their best interests at heart. In turn they give us complete devotion, make us laugh at their antics, act like we hung the moon, make sure that we never have to go to the bathroom alone, protect us and our families and stand watch over our castles, let us know when the mail has arrived or if UPS dropped something off without ringing the bell, jump around like goof balls when we come home or even if we leave the room for more than two minutes, and be our friends and sounding boards when we need someone to talk to.

When they are hurting or have reached a point where they cannot enjoy their lives or face constant pain or discomfort, we are obliged to operate with their best interests at heart. I always promised myself that no matter how difficult the decision, I would not let my friend suffer or keep them around for selfish reasons or because I wasn't strong enough to make the decision. That is our charge in this relationship. It isn't easy...it isn't supposed to be if they truly are your friend.

I know people that don't have pets because they said it was too hard to say goodbye. It is hard to say goodbye, but then they are missing the years of friendship and caring and fun in the process. I will always have dogs around...they are so worth the pain and anguish that the end represents.

I've posted this before, but it is meaningful and appropriate...especially if you have had to go through saying goodbye to a valued family member as they lay in your arms.

A Dog's Prayer

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside... for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements... and I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth... though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land... for you are my god... and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest...and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

--Beth Norman Harris

BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

You tore me up with that Dana... Wow.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
        You tore me up with that Dana... Wow.
        X2

Beautiful.

Dave
        CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
        UDS 1.0
        Afterburner
        Weber Performer
        Blue Thermapen
        Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
        Auber Smoker Controller
        Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
        -
        "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Just saw this Rich..
          SO sorry for your loss!! That's really tough.
          Nothing like the unconditional love you both shared.
          The only bright spot in this is knowing that Mikey lived a great life. He was a family member, not a pet.
          My heart goes out to you Rich, hope you are doing ok.
          jeanie

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
          X