Captain, Oh my Captain!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bbqgoddess View Post
    I just shove a couple paper towels with oil on them under the basket on the ash pan, light that then put the basket in the drum.
    That's how I light mine if I'm doing chicken or a tri tip. I'll leave the lid off and let all the charcoal (usually about a chimney full) catch.

There isn't a raging fire licking out from under to burn your arms or hot charcoal dripping out of the bottom of the chimney while you are trying to pour it on to the basket. Me like it, I like it A LOT!
    Oh . . . when I do it that way for a smoke, I load the basket and pour the lit coals on with the basket outside the smoker. Then pick up the basket and lower it into the drum.

Dave
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
      That's how I light mine if I'm doing chicken or a tri tip. I'll leave the lid off and let all the charcoal (usually about a chimney full) catch.

Oh . . . when I do it that way for a smoke, I load the basket and pour the lit coals on with the basket outside the smoker. Then pick up the basket and lower it into the drum.

Dave
      The maneuvering of the basket with charcoal in it is kinda difficult for me, like I need to be a foot taller than I am. So with hot coals in it also - is screaming "you are gonna get burned"

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

So with hot coals in it also - is screaming "you are gonna get burned"
        Yeah, the thought of it tipping or something going wrong while lifting it into the drum has crossed my mind. I like Mikey's torch idea. I tried it with my weed burner but with lump it sent showers of sparks everywhere. Not good with the landscaping bark right behind the drum not to mention the bone dry fence. Probably even more scary where you are.

Maybe the smaller torch would not cause such a ruckus.

I'll have to try just using some of the starter cubes or squares that I have on top of the basket inside the drum sometime.

Dave
        CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
        UDS 1.0
        Afterburner
        Weber Performer
        Blue Thermapen
        Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
        Auber Smoker Controller
        Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
        -
        "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

The maneuvering of the basket with charcoal in it is kinda difficult for me, like I need to be a foot taller than I am. So with hot coals in it also - is screaming "you are gonna get burned"
          When you hold the torch to the lump and it turns white, it's lit. Then you move the torch to another spot and repeat. So thinking that it's hot coals is not the case. Just put the basket in and your done. You're making it appear to be much more difficult than it really is. Maybe a small step stool would help you out
          sigpic
          New Braunfels Bandera
          New Braunfels Hondo
          4-22.5" Weber Kettles
          1-26" Weber Kettle
          24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
          Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

If you want to use a gas torch, I suggest you use one of these. I used one for soldering pipes for years and now I use it to light my Keg and drums. The hose makes it easy to reach places a regular torch and bottle won't fit and it works in any position.
            If you buy a Benzomatic brand you will be paying for the name. Around $65

This is a good one $30 from Harbor freight

http://www.harborfreight.com/propane...ers-91899.html
            Jim

Comment

Just grab one of your trained apes & have them do it for ya.

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
              Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
                When you hold the torch to the lump and it turns white, it's lit. Then you move the torch to another spot and repeat. So thinking that it's hot coals is not the case. Just put the basket in and your done. You're making it appear to be much more difficult than it really is. Maybe a small step stool would help you out
                That is on the list of things from the hardware store - and the first time I light the coals I went to put it in the basket and hit the side of the drum and the whole basket tipped over and coals went everywhere - had it been lit from the top down with hot coals from the chimney I would have been covered in hot coals - as would my dry as hell backyard. Since I boogered it the first time it's a bit sketchy when I light her. In time I will get used to it I am sure.

Comment

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
                  If you want to use a gas torch, I suggest you use one of these. I used one for soldering pipes for years and now I use it to light my Keg and drums. The hose makes it easy to reach places a regular torch and bottle won't fit and it works in any position.
                  If you buy a Benzomatic brand you will be paying for the name. Around $65

This is a good one $30 from Harbor freight

http://www.harborfreight.com/propane...ers-91899.html
                  Thank you Jim, very much for the link, just bookmarked it!

Originally posted by THE ICEMAN View Post
                  Just grab one of your trained apes & have them do it for ya.
                  I don't have any trained apes, but hell where can I get one???

Comment

had it been lit from the top down with hot coals from the chimney I would have been covered in hot coals
                    Like I said earlier, just touch the torch in 2-3 spots and when the lump just turns white, it's lit but it's not screaming I'm gonna burn the shit out of myself lit. I wouldn't tell you to do it this way if it didn't work even though my baskets are smaller... it's the same principal.
                    sigpic
                    New Braunfels Bandera
                    New Braunfels Hondo
                    4-22.5" Weber Kettles
                    1-26" Weber Kettle
                    24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
                    Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

I don't have any trained apes, but hell where can I get one???
                      Hubby? Cabana Boy? Whatever you call 'em.

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
                      Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
                        Like I said earlier, just touch the torch in 2-3 spots and when the lump just turns white, it's lit but not screaming I'm gonna burn the shit out of myself lit. I wouldn't tell you to do it this way if it didn't work even though my baskets are smaller... it's the same principal.
                        Oh I trust you Mikey, I was going to try to use your method after the basket has already been put in the drum if I am lighting from the top down.

Comment

Working...
                        X