Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite Steak ?..... Favorite Side ? ..... Etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pandemonium View Post
    Dont see those around here, whats the other name for them isnt it a skirt steak?
    No, a lot of folks think it's a skirt steak by the looks of it. A flat iron is cut from the shoulder. The skirt comes from the back end and is much thougher.

Do yourself a favor and ask your butcher about it and see if you can get a cut. It might not look like much when you see it, but trust me, it's great. It's also known as a Top Blade Steak if he doesn't recognize flat iron.

I grill mine at 400 for about 10 minutes total to med rare, 135. Cut across the grain to slice and you won't need a knife at the table.
    Pete
    Large BGE
    Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Damn Pete.... Somehow Spaghetti just did not cut it for dinner after that!...lol... I need to grab another one... I'm typically Tri-Tip or Filet.... Care to reveal any special marinades?.. Seasonings, etc?... I typically go EVOO, Kosher Salt and Fresh cracked Black Pepper on Beef, but I'm all ears.....
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks Fish but I'm sure you had some good vittles none the less .

As far as how I do these, I use two different ways. First off, I have now started salting all my steaks. It works like a charm. For a FI, I only salt it for 15 minutes and then rinse and pat dry. Not that it really needs it but it just melts more so with salting.

So, the original way I started doing them (pic above) is marinating them in a Kroger jerk marinade which is not really a jerk sauce as it has some sweetness to it. Strangely, it is very good but by no means a jerk sauce.

The way I have been doing them of late is no marinade but rather using a compound butter with crushed garlic and ground cillantro. I put it on the meat while grilling and do the meat covered. When I flip it at 5 minutes, the other side gets a shot of CB. I pull them off at 135. Normally, it's about 10 minutes total since they are so thin as you know.

I always rest them wrapped in HD foil for 10 minutes before serving and reserve the juices to pour on the meat. We don't sauce them as there isn't any need to with all the taste and flavor.

You could easily marinate them in your favorite, use the compound butter after the cook while it's resting. I haven't tried that yet but will shortly to see how it all plays out.

Hope that helps a bit. It works for us but I know everyone has their favorites.
        Pete
        Large BGE

Comment

I think Ribeyes rocked this whole thread?Course in Washington the math might be differentAnd I want mine with a BUSCH LIGHT
          sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

Yeah..... Much to my dismay, it appears that the Ribeye is the "overall" Grand Champion..... But I demand a recount.... Tenderloin in 2011
            sigpic

Comment

I like a Huge Sirloin cooked over a screaming hot oak fire on my fire pit at home. Real heavy char on the outside and Medium rare inside with shite load of salt and fresh black pepper and a piece of white sanwich bread to get all the juice left over..
              and a Home made Wicked Monk beer to finish it all off..or two maybe 3 and possibly 4

I gotta add that I had Zebra steak in Africa and it was cooked the same as above and it is pretty damn good but is little too lean
              RIP!!!Smoke Wagon Victims

Comment

Personally, I'm glad to see the Ribeye ran away with this. It's all a matter of supply and demand and thus pricing.

Everyone should buy ribeyes and stay away from the flat iron. All my posts were really a joke so I really don't think you would like them. No reason to drive up the price on an inferior piece of meat
                Pete
                Large BGE

Comment

Originally posted by Abelman View Post

Everyone should buy ribeyes and stay away from the flat iron. All my posts were really a joke so I really don't think you would like them. No reason to drive up the price on an inferior piece of meat
                  Heh... yeah, damned crappy flat-iron anyway.

Case in point: Tri-tip. WTF? But similarly- only 2 per cow...err I think...
                  In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I know what you mean.Years ago I was buying this weird cut of meat really cheap called tri-tip tasted damn good.Now it's a designer cut
                    sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

Originally posted by scpatterson View Post
                      I like a Huge Sirloin cooked over a screaming hot oak fire on my fire pit at home. Real heavy char on the outside and Medium rare inside with shite load of salt and fresh black pepper and a piece of white sanwich bread to get all the juice left over..
                      and a Home made Wicked Monk beer to finish it all off..or two maybe 3 and possibly 4

I gotta add that I had Zebra steak in Africa and it was cooked the same as above and it is pretty damn good but is little too lean
                      They have Oak in Africa?
                      sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

Originally posted by Critterhunter View Post
                        They have Oak in Africa?
                        They get Beef in Oregon? ....... I thought you were talkin Alpaca?... WTF?
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                          They get Beef in Oregon? ....... I thought you were talkin Alpaca?... WTF?
                          Tonight you win!
                          sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

Originally posted by Critterhunter View Post
                            They have Oak in Africa?
                            I always travel with a bag full just in case!!! They have Oak but is a Mexican Oak blend that originated in Germany and is cross Pollinated with a fern from Ohio....I think anyway
                            RIP!!!Smoke Wagon Victims

Comment

Originally posted by scpatterson View Post
                              They have Oak but is a Mexican Oak blend that originated in Germany and is cross Pollinated with a fern from Ohio....I think anyway
                              Heheh Buckeye fern, no doubt... LOL!

Signed, an eviscerated U of M fan
                              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Not really sure what my favorite is....but I just wanted to see more of the Oklohoma Sooners chick.....

Comment

Working...
                                X