Is Angus beef really better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Angus beef really better?

In the store, Angus beef is always more expensive than "regular" beef. Is there any real advantage to it? Is it cut dependent? For example, maybe an Angus steak is better, but with ground beef it doesn't matter?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Some breeds are more pre-disposed to the things that make for better tenderness and flavour - but to me, a big part of it is marketing, also. I am of the opinion that what it has been eating and how it has been treated accounts just as much, if not more, than the actual breed. Not to mention how it is processed, handled and cooked....

In this area, most cattle are a cross of angus and hereford. You get the best traits of each and eliminate certain problems. Depending on the factors I mention above, you will get wonderful tasting beef, or you will get mediorcre beef. It isn't long before you learn who to buy beef from, and I am proud to say that our beef is easily among the best I've ever had.

Is any advantage (real or perceived) worth the increase in price? I can't say. Ryan might be able to offer more on this - personally, I like herefords.....
    Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 08-19-2014, 12:21 PM.
    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
    Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

I look at the cuts... "angus" is generally tooooo much for me to feed the family.... I have a market that has very nice cuts for good prices (no injections)... and at times I am getting Prime cuts for the price of Select.. I think the grade is much more than the name "angus"
      Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
      Yoder YS640
      Weber Genesis
      Weber 18.5" Kettle
      Weber Performer
      Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

I bought an Angus brisket for a competition once... pricey. I always cook two briskies for comps. The other one was a standard grade from BJ's Wholesale Club. I turned in the BJ's one. The Angus one was twice the price and not half as good in flavor...WTF? I expected a lot more. Both were done to perfection, cooked exactly the same.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Something I dind't mention up there is that if you have a way to get it, local beef from your neighbours is going to trump almost anything that you will find at the Pick-a-Mart.....
          Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Originally posted by TasunkaWitko View Post
            Some breeds are mosre pre-disposed to the things that make for better tenderness and flavour - but to me, a big part of it is marketing, also. I am of the opinion that what it has been eating and how it has been treated accounts just as much, if not more, than the actual breed. Not to mention how it is handled/cooked....

In this area, most cattle are a cross of angus and hereford. You get the bast traits of each and eliiminate certain problems.

Is any advantage (real or perceived) worth the increase in price? I can't say. Ryan might be able to offer more on this - personally, I like herefords.....
            The beef I get from a (somewhat) local rancher is Texas Longhorn, and it's a million times better (and cheaper) than anything I can get at the store. I think Tas' summary has it nailed. It's more about the handling and processing than the breed of cattle.
            Mike
            Life In Pit Row

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
              I bought an Angus brisket for a competition once... pricey. I always cook two briskies for comps. The other one was a standard grade from BJ's Wholesale Club. I turned in the BJ's one. The Angus one was twice the price and not half as good in flavor...WTF? I expected a lot more. Both were done to perfection, cooked exactly the same.
              Makes perfect sense when you think about it - the whole point of barbecue is to take big, cheap, crappy cuts of meat and low/slow them until the "crap" actually becomes the reason they are so good, rendering the fat, melting the connective tissues and lending veritable bombs of flavour to these hard-working, tasty cuts.

A prime cut of angus (or probably almost any beef) is going to be lacking in most of the reasons that it "needs" to be cooked with traditional barbecue methods, therefore there won't be as much of the "crap" to get converted to "gold."
              Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 08-19-2014, 12:26 PM.
              Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

In a word, "no."

In fact, the whole Angus thing was the greatest marketing stunt of the 21 century.

While there are certain benefits to raising Black Angus, they do not translate into better beef, no matter what criteria you use. But the Angus marketing board did a superlative job convincing chefs, restaurant chains, and the general public that it was worth the price premium.

McDonalds was the first major beef user to jump off that bandwagon. But I'm sure the rest of the industry will be following soon.

Anyone up for a pet rock?
                But we hae meat and we can eat
                And sae the lord be thanket

Comment

In fact, the whole Angus thing was the greatest marketing stunt of the 21 century.
                  ...along with pomegranates, pistachios and Miley Cyrus....
                  Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 08-19-2014, 12:22 PM.
                  Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

I love 2 of the three there Tas. The odd one out you can prolly guess ;{)
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Makes perfect sense when you think about it - the whole point of barbecue is to take big, cheap, crappy cuts of meat and low/slow them until the "crap" actually becaomes the reason they are so good, rendering the fat, melting the connective tissues and lending veritable bombs of flavour to these hard-working, tasty cuts.

A prime cut of angus (or probably almost any beef) is going to be lacking in most of the reasons that it "needs" to be cooked with traditional barbecue methods, therefore there won't be as much of the "crap" to get converted to "gold."
                      Seriously, I did not see a lot of difference in the "crap" between the two... It came out moist and tender, but the flavor was off. I dunno, maybe I f'ed up, butt I am not gonna spend the coin on it again.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Here is an excellent discourse on the subject. Very interesting indeed.

http://chefsref.hubpages.com/hub/All...-it-Worth-More
                        A few of my favorite things:
                        Good Whiskey
                        Good Food
                        Bad Girls
                        sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
                        Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

I didn't pay attention/notice much around pistachios, and I wouldn't bother to comment, except...

I was once fortunate enough to have real Iranian (or Persian, your choice) pistas (pis-TAA). They're twice the size of what we think of as pistachios (and no, they weren't covered with green or pink food coloring; sheesh). The taste and texture were sublime. I loved them. Too bad the business venture didn't work out.

And Miley? It's REALLY hard to give weed a bad name, but that girl is trying.
                          Yoder YS640, Weber Performer Platinum, Weber OTG, Weber Q220, Traeger BBQ125 Executive
                          ThunderDome Vortex, Smokenator 1000, GrillGrates, A-Maze-N Tube Smoker (6" & 12")
                          Weed Dragon Torch with Squeeze Valve (VT2-23SVC), Looftlighter, BernzOmatic High Intensity Torch Head (TS8000)
                          Tappecue, Maverick ET-732 (x2), Maverick PT-100

SousVide Supreme, VacMaster VP112 (chamber), VacMaster Pro305 (suction)

Comment

I love 2 of the three there Tas. The odd one out you can prolly guess ;{)
                            Yep, right there with you Rich. Pomegranates are just a bunch of seeds, right?
                            A few of my favorite things:
                            Good Whiskey
                            Good Food
                            Bad Girls
                            sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
                            Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus52980 View Post
                              In the store, Angus beef is always more expensive than "regular" beef. Is there any real advantage to it? Is it cut dependent? For example, maybe an Angus steak is better, but with ground beef it doesn't matter?

Inquiring minds want to know!
                              Like others have said...just because something is labeled ANYTHING in the grocery store doesn't ensure quaility. It could be good, or not. Further, just because a farmer is raising Berkshire hogs doesn't ensure quality either...nor does it ensure that one specific breed is going to taste like another of the same breed. Breed signifies traits. Between how the breed is raised, age, feed, slaughtered, hung, etc, etc all has an influence on the flavor and texture of the meat.

Just a thought on cuts of meat...I would take outstanding ground beef over a mediocre steak any day of the week!

"Lesser" cuts may depend on breaking down the fat and connective tissue to add to the flavors and texture. But poor quality meats lose out because of the lack of animal flavor...nor is all fat and connective tissue created equal. This stuff we have in the stores has gotten as bad as the produce they try to pass off on us. Ain't one thing about it that has to do with flavor...$$$

Comment

Working...
                              X