No announcement yet.

Is Angus beef really better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But poor quality meats lose out because of the lack of animal flavor...nor is all fat and connective tissue created equal. This stuff we have in the stores has gotten as bad as the produce they try to pass off on us. Ain't one thing about it that has to do with flavor...
    This is very true! I've had store-bought burger (and steaks) that tasted like they were scraped from a slaughterhouse floor after a week of being trampled on by steers headed in for killing - both in flavour and in texture.
    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
    Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

I agree with Historic Foods. This was a big marketing ploy. The following is just my opinion so take it for what its worth. You'd have to have one hell of a palate to tell the difference in typical beef cattle if they were raised on the same feed. There's gonna be some minor differences but nothing to warrant a higher price. The main factor is feed. In Nebraska (#1 in cattle) the feedlots feed a diet high in distillers grain(byproduct from ethanol plant) they're the ones producing prime and choice carcasses (not Walmart meat like some think)this feed leads to higher fat, better marbling. The last one we bought for butcher looked like it was Kobe. Regular grain feed still good just not as much marbling. The one I might piss some off for this but its my opinion and I do live in the corn fed state. Grass fed, not a real fatty diet less marbling. All 3 will taste different. That is the major difference to me in how beef taste.

Now the only difference for a breed is when comes to beef cattle(Angus, simmental, charlois etc)and dairy cattle(Holstein, jersey, Guernsey etc). There's a difference in that meat. There's a reason when Holstein steers come into the sale barn and bring a lower dollar amount. I for one will not eat a dairy cow. Taste like grass fed(my opinion) whereas my best friend who grew up on a dairy farm absolutely loves it. Texas longhorns (never had it) bit will say it is supposed to be lower in cholorosteral.

That's just my opinion!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Snarlingiron View Post
        Here is an excellent discourse on the subject. Very interesting indeed.

http://chefsref.hubpages.com/hub/All...-it-Worth-More
        Hey, Snarlingmeister, you've come up with another good one! [My Ken Onion will be here tomorrow!] My last beef order was from Meyer Natural Angus. While not fed 100% grass, their process seems to focus on the health of the cow (before it meets its maker, and then me!). The 10 oz. prime top sirloins are perfect for me. In fact, I had one last night!
        Yoder YS640, Weber Performer Platinum, Weber OTG, Weber Q220, Traeger BBQ125 Executive
        ThunderDome Vortex, Smokenator 1000, GrillGrates, A-Maze-N Tube Smoker (6" & 12")
        Weed Dragon Torch with Squeeze Valve (VT2-23SVC), Looftlighter, BernzOmatic High Intensity Torch Head (TS8000)
        Tappecue, Maverick ET-732 (x2), Maverick PT-100

SousVide Supreme, VacMaster VP112 (chamber), VacMaster Pro305 (suction)

Comment

Originally posted by TasunkaWitko View Post
          This is very true! I've had store-bought burger (and steaks) that tasted like they were scraped from a slaughterhouse floor after a week of killing - both in flavoura nd in texture.

I wonder how much variation there is between meat found in the stores from one state to another. For that matter, from one area within a state to another.

???

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by gonefishin View Post
            I wonder how much variation there is between meat found in the stores from one state to another. For that matter, from one area within a state to another.

???

Dan
            My guess is that there isn't as much difference as there used to be - The biggest share of meat in the supermarkets where "normal people" shop comes in boxes these days....

In the spirit of full disclosure, when I said "store-bought" up there, I was referring to Wal-mart meat. When we have "too much month at the end of the money," my wife buys those chubs of "ground beef" at Wal-mart because they are usually cheap. Unfortunately, they taste like crap.
            Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

This is very true! I've had store-bought burger (and steaks) that tasted like they were scraped from a slaughterhouse floor after a week of being trampled on by steers headed in for killing - both in flavour and in texture.
              My theory on that is, walmart's select meat is coming from old stock cows and dairy cows. Its cheap to buy. Age makes a big difference in taste too.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
                I agree with Historic Foods. This was a big marketing ploy. The following is just my opinion so take it for what its worth. You'd have to have one hell of a palate to tell the difference in typical beef cattle if they were raised on the same feed. There's gonna be some minor differences but nothing to warrant a higher price. The main factor is feed. In Nebraska (#1 in cattle) the feedlots feed a diet high in distillers grain(byproduct from ethanol plant) they're the ones producing prime and choice carcasses (not Walmart meat like some think)this feed leads to higher fat, better marbling. The last one we bought for butcher looked like it was Kobe. Regular grain feed still good just not as much marbling. The one I might piss some off for this but its my opinion and I do live in the corn fed state. Grass fed, not a real fatty diet less marbling. All 3 will taste different. That is the major difference to me in how beef taste.

Now the only difference for a breed is when comes to beef cattle(Angus, simmental, charlois etc)and dairy cattle(Holstein, jersey, Guernsey etc). There's a difference in that meat. There's a reason when Holstein steers come into the sale barn and bring a lower dollar amount. I for one will not eat a dairy cow. Taste like grass fed(my opinion) whereas my best friend who grew up on a dairy farm absolutely loves it. Texas longhorns (never had it) bit will say it is supposed to be lower in cholorosteral.

That's just my opinion!
                Sounds right to me, Ryan - and I agree about the Wal-mart meat...especially the beef. Often we'll get meat (usually pork) that is acceptable, and sometimes even good - but most of the time the quality leaves you pretty dissatisfied, especially when you're used to the real thing....
                Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Originally posted by Ozric View Post
                  I was once fortunate enough to have real Iranian (or Persian, your choice) pistas (pis-TAA). They're twice the size of what we think of as pistachios (and no, they weren't covered with green or pink food coloring; sheesh). The taste and texture were sublime. I loved them.
                  I remember the Germack imported ones. Jeez... that ended in the early 70's I think. Man they were good.
                  In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Some breeds are more pre-disposed to the things that make for better tenderness and flavour - but to me, a big part of it is marketing, also. I am of the opinion that what it has been eating and how it has been treated accounts just as much, if not more, than the actual breed. Not to mention how it is processed, handled and cooked....

:
                    Right on.

Originally posted by HistoricFoodie View Post
                    In a word, "no."

While there are certain benefits to raising Black Angus, they do not translate into better beef, no matter what criteria you use. But the Angus marketing board did a superlative job convincing chefs, restaurant chains, and the general public that it was worth the price premium.
                    While it is true that there has been fantastic marketing, there are programs at most of the major ag schools, called "carcassing" programs. Essentially, they strip off the hides and butcher down to the primal cuts and grade each carcass. Angus beef consistantly grades higher than most other breeds except BeefMaster which is what I raise. The two are virtually identical with the exception of being polled or not.
                    If you take into account the grading of the cuts of beef, you get more consistantly, highly graded steaks from the angus, thus justifying the added premium. The problem is that we while we don't often see those superior cuts in the local markets(the tend to go to high end resturants) we do pay the premium.
                    So yes and no. Angus is a superior beef. But no, it's not worth the premium. Remember the butcher doesn't see the color of the hide. He just knows good beef. So it's likely that you'll get better beef if you go by the grade rather than the breed.
                    JT

Comment

Originally posted by Whisky Fish View Post
                      Right on.

While it is true that there has been fantastic marketing, there are programs at most of the major ag schools, called "carcassing" programs. Essentially, they strip off the hides and butcher down to the primal cuts and grade each carcass. Angus beef consistantly grades higher than most other breeds except BeefMaster which is what I raise. The two are virtually identical with the exception of being polled or not.
                      If you take into account the grading of the cuts of beef, you get more consistantly, highly graded steaks from the angus, thus justifying the added premium. The problem is that we while we don't often see those superior cuts in the local markets(the tend to go to high end resturants) we do pay the premium.
                      So yes and no. Angus is a superior beef. But no, it's not worth the premium. Remember the butcher doesn't see the color of the hide. He just knows good beef. So it's likely that you'll get better beef if you go by the grade rather than the breed.
                      There was a study on carcass value due to skin hide in magazine. I found it interesting due to the fact my herd consist of white, black, and red. I always get docked at the sale barn with my calves. For the people that don't know this, there are some picky farmers. Got to have black hides. Hell one feedlot has pens of black only and white only. Anyways the university broke it down by black, black white face, red, red white face, and white. They then compared the carcass value. The end result was there really wasn't much of a difference. Not enough to dock people at the sale barn. It was interesting, gonna try to find that article.
                      sigpic

Comment

There was a study on carcass value due to skin hide in magazine. I found it interesting due to the fact my herd consist of white, black, and red. I always get docked at the sale barn with my calves. For the people that don't know this, there are some picky farmers. Got to have black hides. Hell one feedlot has pens of black only and white only. Anyways the university broke it down by black, black white face, red, red white face, and white. They then compared the carcass value. The end result was there really wasn't much of a difference. Not enough to dock people at the sale barn. It was interesting, gonna try to find that article.
                        I feel your pain. We get lower prices for ours as well. Two years ago it was worse. Because of the Brama influence in the breed, Beef Master tend toward a longer ear. Texas wouldn't buy any beef "with ears" They have since knocked that crap off. I have also heard that white hides are considered less valuable than other colors because the lack of pigment makes for a weaker leather or rawhide? Don't know about that one either.
                        JT

Comment

My guess is that there isn't as much difference as there used to be - The biggest share of meat in the supermarkets where "normal people" shop comes in boxes these days....

In the spirit of full disclosure, when I said "store-bought" up there, I was referring to Wal-mart meat. When we have "too much month at the end of the money," my wife buys those chubs of "ground beef" at Wal-mart because they are usually cheap. Unfortunately, they taste like crap.
                          There used to be a distinction in food, once, from state to state. Those lines are getting blurred. The same thing that is happening in the grocery business is also happening in the restaurant business. It seems that these large chains (be it grocery or restaurant) are taking over all the individuality that the different regions used to have.

When I mentioned the variation...I was talking about smaller grocery stores. In our new house, we still have a Walmart within 40 minutes. But we also have a couple slaughter houses in that same distance. This isn't to mention the varying farmers that I haven't introduced myself to yet.

Ryan...Feed is a wonderful thing. The guy who raises the hogs that I buy also raises cattle. He's very strict about what he feeds all of his livestock, his pigs are very good. But when it comes to cattle, he is a strict grass fed only. Now I've had grass fed a number of times...and while it is good...I do prefer some grain in there. I wish more farmers would give grass fed and corn finished a good chance. It may not is as popular a thing...but it's better to my taste buds.

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                            I remember the Germack imported ones. Jeez... that ended in the early 70's I think. Man they were good.
                            Mine came from a mother who came from Iran to Arizona to visit her daughter. She brought a couple of packages with her. And shared some! This was about 5-6 years ago.
                            Yoder YS640, Weber Performer Platinum, Weber OTG, Weber Q220, Traeger BBQ125 Executive
                            ThunderDome Vortex, Smokenator 1000, GrillGrates, A-Maze-N Tube Smoker (6" & 12")
                            Weed Dragon Torch with Squeeze Valve (VT2-23SVC), Looftlighter, BernzOmatic High Intensity Torch Head (TS8000)

Comment

yes it's better. I know a couple of farmers that raise angus beef cattle. Sadly it's way too rich for my wallet these days.

And people don't seem to pay me in food as much as they used to. I still have a few clients who I do a lot of phone support for - but they pay in chocolate as a rule :-)

Used to be a time I'd regularly come home with venison or pheasants or bits of beef or one time half a pig.

Alas no longer, bartering seems to have died out round here.
                              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

My theory on that is, walmart's select meat is coming from old stock cows and dairy cows. Its cheap to buy. Age makes a big difference in taste too.
                                Wouldn't surprise me. I don't know about Sam's Club, but I've never bought beef there, so can't say (I do buy the 3-packs of ribs, pork butts, whole pork loins and those big packages of chicken wings).

One thing I've heard that's pretty scary is the grade of beef that Taco Bell uses. They got s**t for selling some "mixture" called beef, so they "upgraded" to 100% beef. And saved money, I'll bet. What I heard was that there are 6 grades of beef, A-F, with A = Prime, B = Choice, etc.). I heard that grades D & E go into dog food. In the same story, I heard that Taco Bell uses grade F! Mmmm, mmmm, tasty! Now that I've read that article, I wonder. It shows 8 grades...

· U.S. Prime - Highest in quality and marbling. Currently only, about 2.9% of carcasses grade as Prime.

· U.S. Choice - High quality, less marbling than prime. Choice cattle are 53.7% of the graded total.

· U.S. Select (formerly Good) - lowest grade commonly sold at retail, acceptable quality, fairly lean.

· U.S. Standard - Lower quality, yet economical, lacking marbling.

· U.S. Commercial - Low quality, lacking tenderness, produced from older animals.

· U.S. Utility

· U.S. Cutter

· U.S. Canner

I feel a poll coming!

Comment

Working...
                                X