No announcement yet.

Is Angus beef really better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sam's meat used to be okay...better than Walmart that's for sure. It wasn't stellar, but it was decent and consistent. Over the last year, or so, their beef and pork seemed to drop in quality. Noticeably bland and lacking flavor.

The whole problem I have with the grading system (spoken from an eaters perspective) is that, simply saying, Choice doesn't tell you the whole story regarding the flavor profile of the meat.

I suppose that's part of the reason for the Angus certification. Good pork and good beef is just so tasty...I just wish it wasn't so hard to find.

Comment

I raise Black Angus and a few Black Baldies. (Black Angus, Hereford cross.)

I raise Black Angus because that's what brings in the most money right now, almost the "flavor of the month" in the beef world....and IMO it's partly due to the meat and partly due to marketing. The Angus breed has an excellent marketing program. (just like Berkshire pigs) Don't get me wrong, they are good eatin' too.

Hereford cattle are danged tasty too. When the southwest was populated with longhorn cattle, the "meat" breeds were brought in for a reason. Longhorn's aren't that tasty. Now days they are romanticized and sold as a taste of the past... they still don't have the quality of a "meat" breed no matter what you feed them.

Many of the ranchers in my area have switched to Red Angus. The meat quality is the same as black, but the temperament of the Red Angus is a bit milder. They are easy keepers.

I'm a firm believer that what you feed them makes a difference too. All cattle are grass fed... it's how you finish them before butchering that varies.
      I like to add grain for marbling (along with the grass they get) during the last few months. Really makes a difference to me.

Also a happy, healthy cow is a tasty cow. :)

My bull and the neighbor's Red Angus bull talking "smack" across the road. :)

They kick up dirt and snort at each other. Makes ya feel kind of small when you stand between them. They could walk through the fences if they wanted too. :)
      jeanie

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by cowgirl View Post

They kick up dirt and snort at each other. Makes ya feel kind of small when you stand between them. They could walk through the fences if they wanted too. :)
        I already feel kinda small... and now a little scared
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
          I already feel kinda small... and now a little scared
          Try getting run over by one. Hurts like heck, but at least I'm a bit quicker now.

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
          That's a lotta Bull, Jeanie!!!

Nice Pics!!

Bear
          Thanks Bearcarver, I think he could take on the neighbor's wimpy Red Angus bull.
          jeanie

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/

Comment

I am shocked no one mentioned this.

If a cow or steer or bull has a 90% black hide it is considered Angus. Even thou it isnt.

Comment

Nice list, Ozric. But it's only half the story. Here's how choice can magically (but legally) moph into prime:

In addition to your list, here is also "unrolled," which is beef that has not been USDA graded, and which retailers can call anything they want. Much of Walmart's meat is unrolled. I don't know this for sure, but suspect the same is true for the squat & gobble fast food places.

Most unrolled meat sold at retail would grade no higher than choice.

Stores can use the same name classifications as USDA as their own. So, for instance, a store can take unrolled meat, call it Walmart Choice, or Kroger Prime and be well within the law. USDA criteria for grading has nothing to do with those private "grades."

If there's anyone who thinks that's not an intentional way of confusing and misleading the public, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn I'll happily sell you.

BTW, despite the implications to the contrary, it's all but impossible to buy USDA Prime at retail. Almost all of it goes to the restaurant trade.
              Last edited by HistoricFoodie; 08-19-2014, 06:42 PM.
              But we hae meat and we can eat
              And sae the lord be thanket

Comment

BTW, this is not the only instance in which the gubmint colludes with marketers to present food so it appears to be better than it is.

My favorite example is the phrase "vine ripened." For thee and me, the implication is that the tomato was allowed to ripen on the plant. But such is not the case. "Vine ripened" can legally be applied to any tomato past the breaker stage. Some states do have more stringent laws, usually amounting to "must show some color."

All of this---and hundreds of other instances---are based on the simple premise that we do not know what the official protocols (which, btw, can be established as industry standards as well as government regs) are.

Here's another example, one that brings it home. You can take unrolled beef, mix it half and half with treated mustard (so the mustard is indistinguishable by taste), and call it 100% beef. Reason: Mustard is classified as a condiment, and condiments do not have to be listed as an ingredient.

Far fetched? Not at all. That's a real life example, which describes the mix that used to be used by a major chain.

Comment

Airplane customer gave me some Charolais...one time that is fine! Between their Tupelo Honey & Beef...
                  Sunset Eagle Aviation
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Great info, HF. Thanks!
                    Yoder YS640, Weber Performer Platinum, Weber OTG, Weber Q220, Traeger BBQ125 Executive
                    ThunderDome Vortex, Smokenator 1000, GrillGrates, A-Maze-N Tube Smoker (6" & 12")
                    Weed Dragon Torch with Squeeze Valve (VT2-23SVC), Looftlighter, BernzOmatic High Intensity Torch Head (TS8000)
                    Tappecue, Maverick ET-732 (x2), Maverick PT-100

SousVide Supreme, VacMaster VP112 (chamber), VacMaster Pro305 (suction)

Comment

Originally posted by cowgirl View Post
                      I'm a firm believer that what you feed them makes a difference too. All cattle are grass fed... it's how you finish them before butchering that varies.
                      I like to add grain for marbling (along with the grass they get) during the last few months. Really makes a difference to me.
                      This is the truth...Its the finishing that matters...
                      Most commercial beef is finished in feedlots with one thing in mind...They guarantee a certain "rate of gain"...With that in mind they feed them all sorts of chit that gains the most weight the fastest...Beef quality is not the issue...

Trust me on this one...I have spent 33 years producing the crap that those feedlots use to plump up the cattle just in time for slaughter...You really don't want to know what some of that stuff is...One bright spot lately is the abundance of distillers byproducts that are providing a more natural protein as opposed to the urea that they have relied on for years...That's right...Urea...Nitrogen fertilizer...Who's the genius that ever thought that was a good idea...

As for angus...All I know is that angus always grades choice or better...That speaks to me...
                      Craig
                      sigpic

Comment

Re:

Back when I joined this forum I was curious about this same question.

I went to a country Slaughter House and spoke with some old Butchers about it. They told me that if a beef was 50% Black that it could be sold as Black Angus. They explained that they tried to deal only in free ranged grass fed.

The other thing I was aware of was the "white face" cows which are so common don't produce the same amount of meat. The Black Angus dresses out better with more meat.

It makes sense to promote an animal that yields more meat as the best
                        beef available. It's a "Win-Win".

My Texas Grand Dad was a Beef Cattleman and that was all I ever knew
                        as a kid. But Black Angus became a big thing here in Southern Ohio
                        years ago when there was a "Black Angus Steakhouse" chain that located Restaurants around here.

http://www.blackangus.com/

I was listening to AgDay last Friday morning and they were suggesting that our Beef supply may be back to where it was before the big drought in about 7 to 8 years.

Story Here:

http://www.agweb.com/agday/article/c..._Betsy_Jibben/

No wonder they have been promoting Bacon so much. When I'm in the grocery stores you wouldn't believe how much griping there is about bacon prices. I heard one guy say to a Store Manager, "hey mister, don't ya have any breakfast Caviar ? I can't afford this bacon !"
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc1URQgQWNo

Comment

Originally posted by eDJ View Post
                          Back when I joined this forum I was curious about this same question.

I went to a country Slaughter House and spoke with some old Butchers about it. They told me that if a beef was 50% Black that it could be sold as Black Angus. They explained that they tried to deal only in free ranged grass fed.

The other thing I was aware of was the "white face" cows which are so common don't produce the same amount of meat. The Black Angus dresses out better with more meat.

It makes sense to promote an animal that yields more meat as the best
                          beef available. It's a "Win-Win".

My Texas Grand Dad was a Beef Cattleman and that was all I ever knew
                          as a kid. But Black Angus became a big thing here in Southern Ohio
                          years ago when there was a "Black Angus Steakhouse" chain that located Restaurants around here.

The first Steakhouse I was ever in was a "Black Angus Steakhouse". That was in Allentown, PA, back in the 70s. Decent steaks too.
                          Since that we've had "The Ponderosa" and "The Rustler". Their steaks were not as good.

Bear
                          Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                          Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Supposedly due to single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNP) developed at the calpastatin (CAST) and mu-calpain (CAPN1) genes with meat, can affect tenderness and palatability traits. Is it BS ? Who knows I know that when the skin comes off the BBQ pit don't know what color that brisket hide was. Just cook it till tender and all is well. I can say I been kicking butt all year long against some of the best brisket cookers in Texas with walmart select excel briskets and they all cook that expensive stuff. I tried those ungodly high priced wagyu, cab, etc and actually placed worse. Now I just pick what I like from the sale bend.
                            Security without liberty is prison. Those willing to sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither!
                            I'm the guy chasing the cow though the pasture with a loaf of bread.

Comment

I've always been amazed at the guys who choose wagu for barbecue.

The whole point of low and slow is to sear out the fat and connective tissue. And the whole point of wagu is to produce beef with a higher amount of fat.

So, let me get this straight: We buy a very expensive cut of meat, whose hallmark is marbling, and then cook it low and slow to get rid of that fat.

I don't get it.

Comment

Working...
                              X