Is Angus beef really better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HistoricFoodie View Post
    I've always been amazed at the guys who choose wagu for barbecue.

The whole point of low and slow is to sear out the fat and connective tissue. And the whole point of wagu is to produce beef with a higher amount of fat.

So, let me get this straight: We buy a very expensive cut of meat, whose hallmark is marbling, and then cook it low and slow to get rid of that fat.

I don't get it.
    I don't get it either. Been doing comps for awhile, and just never saw the connection. I've tasted "standard" and "wagu" side by side... give me the standard. Cheaper and better flavor IMHO...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HistoricFoodie View Post
      I've always been amazed at the guys who choose wagu for barbecue.

The whole point of low and slow is to sear out the fat and connective tissue. And the whole point of wagu is to produce beef with a higher amount of fat.

So, let me get this straight: We buy a very expensive cut of meat, whose hallmark is marbling, and then cook it low and slow to get rid of that fat.

I don't get it.
      Exacerly!
      Mark
      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

I wouldn't be smoking any wagyu beef that I bought...but then again I'd probably get a ribeye, a strip, etc. Setting wagyu aside...it isn't just the fat that we're looking for in better beef. It's tissue development...it's the beef!

It's been a crying shame for too long how bland our beef tastes. It follows through in some of the most simple things we make, such as hamburgers and sausage. Some of the best sausages I've had rely primarily on the flavor of the meat & smoke...then they have some subtle spices to finish it off. Hamburger too...a plain hamburger, finished with only salt, is a wonderful thing, if that cow had good feed all it's life.

Dang, that's it...I'm heading over to Chenoa Meat Locker to get me some good beef!

Now, pork...Earlier this year I was on a kick, smoking only using salt. I was getting some farm raised pork and the flavor just seemed too good to cover up. Now, this doesn't mean that I stopped doing flavorful rubs on my meat...but it was true that the pork had such depth of flavor that it could stand being the star, even having been bbq'd. To me, good developed pork has that depth that reminds me of the barn. It's not a gamy flavor (though kind of), the fats wonderful...but it's more than the fat...it's the flavorful tissue. Even bacon, or pork belly can taste different...bolder in flavor. Give me a pig that was given good feed, room to move, grow and develop muscle.

But, we could also be getting different quality of meat in our area. In Northern Illinois... our "regular" grocery market meat has gotten pretty bland over the years.

(I remember walking into a Walmart, in North Carolina, this past year. We needed to pick up swimming goggles, etc. while we were on vacation. I looked at the meat section and Walmart actually served grass fed beef, I was amazed. They also seemed to get some decent sausages as well.)
        Last edited by gonefishin; 08-25-2014, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cowgirl View Post
          I raise Black Angus and a few Black Baldies. (Black Angus, Hereford cross.)

I'm a firm believer that what you feed them makes a difference too. All cattle are grass fed... it's how you finish them before butchering that varies.
          I like to add grain for marbling (along with the grass they get) during the last few months. Really makes a difference to me.

Also a happy, healthy cow is a tasty cow. :)
          Your feeding practice sounds like what I have come to prefer too. The farm, where I get my pork from also raises cattle. I've asked him if he'd thought about finishing with grain (as this was my preferred method). He considered it, but it seemed like other people would turn their noses at it (though I'm not sure how...unless they tasted it first).

How is your experience with full Hereford cattle? One of these days I gotta see if he'll sell me a roast, or some ground beef to try it.

The current lot of Berkies are crossed with Hereford too. Can't wait to give them a try, come fall. Mine is one from the group pictured below

Comment

Marketing Ploy

Angus beef is a marketing ploy. I work in the beef industry and have learned the difference. Technically, "Angus" refers to a specific breed. However, in most beef programs, the only requirement is that the hide is at least 51% black. Most Angus programs aren't worth buying. Grade is definitely a better way to buy beef. There is one breed that stands above the rest. Holstein meat is the only purebred program that you can buy. The University of Colorado has even conducted a test that concluded that Holstein beef was better and more consistent than any Angus program. Find a store that carries USDA graded Holstein Beef. If you live near a Sprout's store, they carry all natural Holstein meat and you will not be disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by Beef...yes please View Post
              Angus beef is a marketing ploy. I work in the beef industry and have learned the difference.
              And..welcome to Smoked-Meat.
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I've never experienced "Angus" as anything better. Strictly marketing.
                From my other thread I just bought a 1/2 of a 1/2 of Scottish Highland. Everything I have "herd" has been positive and should be a lot better than the crap we've been buying lately. I will report back ....
                Weber 22.5
                Lil Chief
                1950's Crosley Shelvadore
                Bradley Smoker
                Maverick ET732
                Nesco Dehydrator
                Thermapen "Blue Bayou"

Comment

We had Hereford cattle as well as well as farm raised hogs growing up. We free ranged them and about 6 months before slaughter we would feed them grain and oats along with alfalfa. Never had a better slab of beef. Hogs would also get grain and oats along with sour milk, Best hog we ever had. Now a days I look real close at the marbling and fat content when we buy meat, seems Costco and Sams have the best selection in our area. When you have good meat it's hard to eat anything of lesser quality and one will pay for good quality meat. That being said, some can't tell the difference because they have never had good quality meat or they Dr it up so bad you can't taste it anyway. Looking at the responses I may have to try Sprout's meat. Thanks for sharing... Can't wait to be able to raise my own again... Looking at property as we speak, I have 10 years to retirement and hope to have a few head of cattle and some hogs again...
                  God, Family and Friends is what it's all about. Great food just brings them all together... First John1:9...
                  Weber Performer Gold
                  Masterbuilt 26" twins
                  Big Chief Electric smoker
                  Brinkmann barrel smoker
                  LEM sausage stuffer
                  Cabela's pro HD grinder
                  Maverick ET-732
                  ThermoWorks Thermapen
                  GrillGrates

Comment

Our Costco's here have great meat also. Had some ground the other night, cooked slightly pink which was perfect for being a lean cut. Tonight is some (Highland) sirloin and a couple of Atlantic Lobster, drenched in steak butter....AND a few bottles of Innis and Gunn, rum casked brewski's. (Black).
                    Weber 22.5
                    Lil Chief
                    1950's Crosley Shelvadore
                    Bradley Smoker
                    Maverick ET732
                    Nesco Dehydrator
                    Thermapen "Blue Bayou"

Comment

Angus beef to me is a marketing ploy...... Nearly all Beef has Angus Bred in it's blood lines which in turn is billed as Angus.
                      Hoppy

Yoder Custom Chisholm II
                      Yoder Durango
                      Weber Gold
                      Awesome Wife, Co-Cook and Best Friend

Comment

Originally posted by Hoppy View Post
                        Angus beef to me is a marketing ploy...... Nearly all Beef has Angus Bred in it's blood lines which in turn is billed as Angus.
                        If that is true, why is there anything else?

Comment

my X father in law raised black Angus back before the big Angus boom...
                          I asked him why black Angus???
                          he replied that they grow more better grade beef,,, faster...
                          the cost to raise them was about the same as other,,,
                          and they sold for more...
                          ~All that is gold does not glitter ~ Not all those that wander are lost~
                          ~20" Yoder "Swiss Army Knife" Stick Burner~

Comment

my X father in law raised black Angus back before the big Angus boom...
                            I asked him why black Angus???
                            he replied that they grow more better grade beef,,, faster...
                            the cost to raise them was about the same as other,,,
                            and they sold for more...
                            ~All that is gold does not glitter ~ Not all those that wander are lost~
                            ~20" Yoder "Swiss Army Knife" Stick Burner~

Comment

"Angus cattle originated in the counties of Aberdeen and Angus in Scotland in the mid 19th century. The breed was developed largely bu Hugh Watson from hornless cattle that traditionally flourished in the area. Watson’s selective breeding created a variety of cattle that became famous for both the quantity and quality of it’s meat. Most Angus cattle are black, but some purebred Angus have red hides."

“Today, one can buy “Certified Angus Beef” in the United States, but it is mostly an empty marketing slogan. Animals can qualify for “Certified Angus” status by having 51% black hides and meeting some size, marbling and age tests. Purebred Angus that happen to be red aren’t eligible, and some cattle that are genetically not Angus but happen to be black are.The labeling would be more accurate if it read “Certified Half-Black Cattle Beef”—but that wouldn’t sell as well.”

—Modernist Cuisine At Home
                              sigpic
                              Fully Accessorized Primo XL Oval,
                              -BBQ GURU DigiQ DX2,
                              -AMNPS
                              -And various other do-dads, gimmicks,
                              gizmos and hornswaggles

Comment

Working...
                              X