No announcement yet.

Captain, Oh my Captain!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I light about 10 or 12 briquettes in a chimney then after they get going I pour them on top of the lump in the basket. I kind of group them pretty much in the center.
    Thank you Dave, that was my plan but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a super secret drum trick!

Thank you HW!!!
    I have used it per the recommended lighting from the bottom, which does have some white smoke initially but it goes away quickly.
    I wanted to see if indeed there is a difference lighting it from the top? I am not sure but I am going to test it right now! and we shall see how it goes, I think I am going to bury my wood chunks a bit in the lump so they are not on the direct top. I will let you know how it goes, wish me luck!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Originally posted by Bbqgoddess View Post
      I think I am going to bury my wood chunks a bit in the lump so they are not on the direct top.
      That's what I do as well.

I let my UDS warm up for about an hour before I put meat on it. No use burning the smokewood during the warm up phase.

Be interesting to hear your results. If I had to guess I would say that both ways would work but I think top down would result in a longer burn just because it will take longer to burn through all of the fuel. And a 55 gallon drum is not huge in volume so it does not take a massive amount of burning charcoal to get one up to 250°.

I like the idea of using the Weber starter cubes. I don't have any of those but I have some of the Rutland Fire Starter Squares. May have to toss one on top sometime, light it and see how it goes. I think Slanted lights his with the weed burner. I tried that once but it seemed to send out a considerable shower of sparks. Too much for my liking with the landscaping bark and bone-dry fence close by.

Dave
      CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
      UDS 1.0
      Afterburner
      Weber Performer
      Blue Thermapen
      Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
      Auber Smoker Controller
      Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
      -
      "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Well Dave I did light it from the top down for a tri tip I did the other night, I really didn't see a difference , it was such a quick smoke too that I had a 1/4 basket of charcoal left. Uncle Honky is out this weekend and we manage to muck up some ribs in the drum yesterday, we lit the drum from the bottom, it was rolling along at 250 the whole time! smoked some potatoes too.. but I can't for the life of me figure out how we burned the ribs.... perhaps the adult beverages and the swimming pool? I do like lighting the drum from the bottom, so I do not have to have the chimney full with hot coals and dump it in on top of the basket.

Comment

Well Dave I did light it from the top down for a tri tip I did the other night, I really didn't see a difference , it was such a quick smoke too that I had a 1/4 basket of charcoal left. Uncle Honky is out this weekend and we manage to muck up some ribs in the drum yesterday, we lit the drum from the bottom, it was rolling along at 250 the whole time! smoked some potatoes too.. but I can't for the life of me figure out how we burned the ribs.... perhaps the adult beverages and the swimming pool? I do like lighting the drum from the bottom, so I do not have to have the chimney full with hot coals and dump it in on top of the basket.
          Interesting. Wonder if it's the solid sides that help keep the temp under control even when lit from the bottom. Sounds like that's the way to go with that basket.

Might have to light mine from the bottom sometime to see what happens. Would be nice to ditch the charcoal chimney step.

Dave
          UDS 1.0
          Afterburner
          Weber Performer
          Blue Thermapen
          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
          Auber Smoker Controller
          -

Comment

Captain, Oh my Captain!

There is a "Captain Dan" who participates somewhat regularly on the Kamado Guru, and a couple of other grilling forums, out there. This fella often talks about making his own lump charcoal. Just curious if it is the same guy. At any rate, I'm sorry for your loss.
            Last edited by ross939; 09-13-2015, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ross939 View Post
              There is a "Captain Dan" who participates somewhat regularly on the Kamado Guru, and a couple of other grilling forums, out there. This fella often talks about making his own lump charcoal. Just curious if it is the same guy. At any rate, sorry for your loss.
              Different guy. Ours was Capt Dan.

Dave
              UDS 1.0
              Afterburner
              Weber Performer
              Blue Thermapen
              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
              Auber Smoker Controller
              -

Comment

Dave I don't have those lil fire starter blocks either, I just shove a couple paper towels with oil on them under the basket on the ash pan, light that then put the basket in the drum. There isn't a raging fire licking out from under to burn your arms or hot charcoal dripping out of the bottom of the chimney while you are trying to pour it on to the basket. Me like it, I like it A LOT!

Comment

Kelly, why not load your basket like you normally do and just touch a couple of spots with a small propane torch, then put the basket in the drum? You'll have plenty of time to prep your meat before the drum gets up to temp. That's the way I do my baskets for my Kettles, and I leave the chimney out of the loop. Easy peasy
                  sigpic
                  New Braunfels Bandera
                  New Braunfels Hondo
                  4-22.5" Weber Kettles
                  1-26" Weber Kettle
                  24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
                  Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

Mikey thank you for the Text with the picture, I just saw something similar to that at the hardware store in town. Is the canister just disposable or do you get it refilled?

Comment

It's disposable. They cost about 4 bucks...give or take.
                      sigpic
                      New Braunfels Bandera
                      New Braunfels Hondo
                      4-22.5" Weber Kettles
                      1-26" Weber Kettle

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
                        It's disposable. They cost about 4 bucks...give or take.
                        What about the torch thing? that is just something you get at the hardware store?

Comment

What about the torch thing? that is just something you get at the hardware store?
                          Yes they should have it. It's for soldering copper pipe and fittings.
                          sigpic
                          New Braunfels Bandera
                          New Braunfels Hondo
                          4-22.5" Weber Kettles
                          1-26" Weber Kettle

Comment

Hardware, HD, Lowes.
                            This is HD to give you an idear,
                            http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomat...4458/203665003

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomat...4182/202044700
                            Mark
                            sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                            Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Thanks Mark, that is pretty straight forward. I am sure my True Value has one of those.

Comment

Thanks Mark, that is pretty straight forward. I am sure my True Value has one of those.
                                There is a better torch part with igniter built in,
                                http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomat...6737/202539575

or this ,kinda pricey but easier to control I think.
                                http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomat...6634/203368730

The folks in the hardware will know.
                                Mark
                                sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                                Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Working...
                                X