Health benefits of beef brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Health benefits of beef brisket

Health benefits of beef brisket discussed at Texas A&M Beef Cattle Short Course

August 19, 2016

Writer: Blair Fannin, 979-845-2259, b-fannin@tamu.edu

COLLEGE STATION – Texas barbecue is famous for beef brisket and as a bonus for barbecue fans, it has many healthful traits, said Dr. Stephen Smith, Texas A&M AgriLife Research scientist.

Ground beef produced from the brisket contains high levels of oleic acid, which increases levels of HDL or good cholesterol in humans, Smith told beef producers at the recent 62nd Texas A&M Beef Cattle Short Course held at Texas A&M University in College Station.

That’s good news as the popularity of Texas barbecue as well as overall ground beef consumption continues to increase annually.

“Brisket has higher oleic acid than the flank or plate, which are the trims typically used to produce ground beef,” he said. “The fat in brisket also has a low melting point, that’s why the brisket is so juicy. That’s also why we like it so much here in Texas, and it’s by far the most popular choice for Texas barbecue.

Dr. Stephen Smith, Texas A&M AgriLife Research scientist in College Station, discusses the healthful benefits of beef, including brisket, at the recent 62nd Texas A&M Beef Cattle Short Course. (Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service photo by Blair Fannin)
    Dr. Stephen Smith, Texas A&M AgriLife Research scientist in College Station, discusses the healthful benefits of beef, including brisket, at the recent 62nd Texas A&M Beef Cattle Short Course. (Texas A&M AgriLife Research photo by Blair Fannin)

“The brisket has become one of the preferred trims to produce ground beef,” said Smith, a professor in the department of animal science at Texas A&M. “Americans consume over 50 percent of their beef as ground beef. They use it in many recipes, not just to make hamburgers. Also, more than 25 percent of the beef carcass is used to produce ground beef, which improves the sustainability of beef production.”

A series of studies summarizing Smith’s work will soon be submitted to the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association. It encompasses research looking at ground beef intake and plasma risk factors for cardiovascular disease and type II diabetes in men and women. Recently, he co-authored a research article on marbling for the association, available at http://bit.ly/1EwH8x6.

“The primary goal of my research program is to evaluate methods to increase the marbling and healthfulness of beef,” Smith said. “My universe evolves around oleic acid. It’s the most abundant fatty acid in beef. It’s also most abundant in canola oil and olive oil. When cattle are fed high-concentrated diets for a long period, the meat becomes high in oleic acid and other monounsaturated fats.

“Oleic acid is very high in Japanese Black cattle such as American Wagyu beef.”

Texas barbecue is famous for beef brisket and as a bonus for barbecue fans, it has many healthful traits. (Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service photo by Blair Fannin)
    Texas barbecue is famous for beef brisket and as a bonus for barbecue fans, it has many healthful traits. (Texas A&M AgriLife Research photo by Blair Fannin)

Smith said Wagyu beef is known for its high marbling and monounsaturated fat. They produce a highly marbled product and the more marbling, the healthier its fat composition, Smith said.

“Also, if you are producing ground beef from grass-fed beef and grain-fed beef, the grass-fed beef will have distinctly different flavors.”

In studies conducted at Texas A&M, Smith said results have shown that good cholesterol, HDL, always increases in men and women fed ground beef high in oleic acid, such as grain-fed beef from Angus, Wagyu or Akaushi cattle. In the tests conducted at Texas A&M, Smith said participants consumed five beef patties a week for five or six weeks.

“Ground beef is not going to kill you,” he said. “When you take the beef out of fat, it reduces LDL, but also reduces HDL,” he said. “Our studies have shown that fat is a very important component of beef.”

It's also Great exercise throwing that big Hunk of meat around, while buying, prepping, smoking, slicing, and eating it !!!

Bear
    Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Interesting. I have been using brisket to grind my own ground beef. I hardly trim it at all and it cooks up great with minimal fat left in the pan to drain off. Burgers come out AWESOME! It ends up being way cheaper for me also since most ground beef I find is anywhere between $3 and $4 per pound. I can usually find brisket from $1.49 to $2.49 per pound...sometimes less. I know some of you guys pay WAY more and are happy. Here in Texas, if it's higher than $2.50...I wont buy it.
      Arron W.

YS 640
      Primo Oval XL
      Lone Star Grillz 30x36 cabinet smoker
      Not so Ugly Drum Smoker
      Weber Copper Top
      Old Smokey
      Orion
      Gasser
      2 Sack Crawfish Boiler by R&V Works
      24" Disco with custom burner
      Red Thermapen
      2-Maverick ET-733
      Orange Thermoworks Smoke

R.I.P my little buddy Zazu. 10/4/2020. We miss you.
      sigpic

Comment

I just bought two briskets for 1.30/#...If I had a grinder I would have bought a dozen...
        Craig
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
          It's also Great exercise throwing that big Hunk of meat around, while buying, prepping, smoking, (drinking), slicing, and eating it !!!
          Bear
          Fixed it for ya
          Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
          Weber 22.5" WSM
          Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
          Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
          Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
          Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
          Weber 18.5" Kettle
          Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
          Weber Smokey Joe
          GMG Daniel Boone