This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casing FAQ'S

I found this today and thought it may help with some of the questions that get asked about fresh sausage casings.

http://www.sausagesource.com/NatCasingFAQ.htm#Length

This is for collagen casings
    http://www.sausagesource.com/ColCasingFAQ.htm

Sausage Source is the site I found this info and they have more info and products if interested.
    Last edited by Checkered Past; 07-29-2011, 04:00 PM. Reason: Dug a little deeper for info

Great Stuff Darrell

Rich, how about making this a sticky??
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
      Great Stuff Darrell

Rich, how about making this a sticky??
      Indeed, and done! :{)
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
        Indeed, and done! :{)
        Thank you kind sir..... Some good stuff in here
        sigpic

Comment

disagree 100% with their soaking instructions.

A wash through and 10 minutes soaking is all that's actually necessary, even for the most heavily salted casing.

if you add pineapple juice to your soaking water - expect a lot of blowouts. Really bad idea. a little vinegar does the trick.

if you prick your sausages before grilling, a lot of the fat/liquid will escape, giving flame ups and potentially dry sausage.

can't really cock up collagen casings. but a lot of nonsense in the natural casing 'info'.
          Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

The above information was Provided by DeWied Casings

We all have differing opinions but for the newbie hopefully this helps and they can learn from there.

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
              disagree 100% with their soaking instructions.

A wash through and 10 minutes soaking is all that's actually necessary, even for the most heavily salted casing.

if you add pineapple juice to your soaking water - expect a lot of blowouts. Really bad idea. a little vinegar does the trick.

if you prick your sausages before grilling, a lot of the fat/liquid will escape, giving flame ups and potentially dry sausage.

can't really cock up collagen casings. but a lot of nonsense in the natural casing 'info'.
              ~ FROM MY EXPERIENCE ~

I agree with the 10 minutes soaking & the vinegar is a must IMO... makes the casings really supple & they slide on & off the tubes better I think when stuffing.

I use canned pineapple (which must contain some juice right?) in a lot of my sausages both pork & chicken & have never had any problems with blowouts.

I prick mine after stuffing & never have problems with flame ups or dry sausages.

Not sure about the cock up comments
              sigpic

Comment

Actually a really big difference between canned and fresh pineapple.

FRESH pineapple & juice contains a pretty nasty enzyme that breaks down proteins. It's what makes your skin feel slippery when you handle fresh pineapple. it's slippery because your skin is being dissolved. Same deal with soap - soap cleans because it strips the dirty layers of skin away.
                It's why fresh pineapple gives a lot of people mouth ulcers. It's pretty nasty stuff.
                Day old pineapple is a lot safer than fresh.

tinned pineapple has negligible amounts of the enzyme as it breaks down quite quickly. But if you left your casing in overnight with fresh pineapple juice - the casing would practically dissolve. even for the minimum time they recommend - an hour or two. it would seriously weaken the casing (which is pretty much just protein).

far as the pricking goes - guess it depends on the sausages :-)
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Makes sense to me Alex .... I'm not a big fan of fresh pineapple, but canned or dried I do like sometimes.
                  sigpic

Comment

Mainly from its stem, pineapple contains a proteolytic enzyme, bromelain, which breaks down protein. If having sufficient bromelain content, pineapple juice can thus be used as a marinade and tenderizer for meat. Pineapple enzymes can interfere with the preparation of some foods, such as jelly or other gelatin-based desserts, but would be destroyed during cooking and the canning process. The quantity of bromelain in the fruit is probably not significant, being mostly in the inedible stalk. Furthermore, an ingested enzyme like bromelain is unlikely to survive intact the proteolytic processes of digestion.
                    Safe to eat - don't want to stop anyone eating pineapple - just don't mix it with your sausage casing.
                    :-)
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Re:

I often have fresh pineapple at my cook outs as it is a digestive aid. Rich in Bromelain. But you don't want it in a gelatin dessert as that enzyme will not allow the gelatin to set up.

I can imagine what it would do to casings.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc1URQgQWNo

Comment

I will also disagree with the soaking of the casing instructions...
                        Pineapple juice, vinegar etc are all bad ideas, just luke warm water, a min of 10 min soaking time, ( and longer will not hurt it at all ) I used to put 5 + hanks into my soaking tub and stuff 500lbs at a time. Use your thumb and index finger to open the casing and scoup up water in to the casing, lots is allways better then little, make sure that you have your sausage meat just sticking out of your stuffing horn, and put it on. The water in side the casing will help is slide on easier, and also clean out any salt or what every may be in side of it.
                        www.facebook.com/butchcolquhoun _____________________________________________

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by butcher View Post
                          I will also disagree with the soaking of the casing instructions...
                          Pineapple juice, vinegar etc are all bad ideas,
                          Christ... i musta missed that...

I shake off the salt, run cold water thru, and do the reverse thing... they are ready to go. Where's that pineapple thing?!?
                          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                            ~ FROM MY EXPERIENCE ~

I agree with the 10 minutes soaking & the vinegar is a must IMO... makes the casings really supple & they slide on & off the tubes better I think when stuffing.

I use canned pineapple (which must contain some juice right?) in a lot of my sausages both pork & chicken & have never had any problems with blowouts.

I prick mine after stuffing & never have problems with flame ups or dry sausages.

Not sure about the cock up comments
                            also from the page that was post is quoted....

"HOW CAN I MAKE MY CASINGS MORE TENDER?

Soak casings longer

Add lemon juice or pineapple juice to the soak water.

Use proper moisture levels during smoke cycle. "

Yep just shake off the salt and Luke warm water is the best to use... I used to do this as a living (18 years at a federally inspected plant, and I ran the stuffer)
                            www.facebook.com/butchcolquhoun _____________________________________________

sigpic

Comment

I will stick with using a bit of vinegar in the soaking water. It seems to help the casings slide better. Not sure about Pineapple juice????
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X