Kraut gone bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kraut gone bad?

Started my first batch 3 weeks ago. It never really did juice up all the way to the top, but the DIY water lock was always in place. The smell was really strong about day 4 just like it is supposed to but it never really had visible bubbles over 3 weeks. We had a heat spell during the second week and evening temps at it's location was about 83 degrees for probably 5 hours a day. I did have it covered from light the whole time. Last night I took the water lock off and it smelled fine. Took a couple of small bites and we thought it tasted fine, but kind of concerned because of the color.

You can see the top half has a grey color to it, and half way down it looks good. That part is submerged in it's own brine.

I was thinking toss the top section and eat the bottom, but kinda skeered. Whatta ya'll think?
    Attached Files

Well..if ANY of it went south..it’s all gone. Can’t tell from the pix - but if in doubt, toss it out.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
      Well..if ANY of it went south..it’s all gone. Can’t tell from the pix - but if in doubt, toss it out.
      X2. Don't take the chance.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I got into the lower part of the jar and it didn't smell right at all.

Shit canned it. Damn. Now I need to find some more cabbage on sale.

Comment

I’d wait for cooler fall weather. I seem to recall 60-70 is about as high as you want to see. Prolly the reason it was always in Grandma’s basement.
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by 206 View Post
            I got into the lower part of the jar and it didn't smell right at all.

Shit canned it. Damn. Now I need to find some more cabbage on sale.
            Good move. And like Rich said, it needs cooler temps than what you stored it at. My grandma always stored it in the basement...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

yup, that is pretty warm temps to be making kraut. I make mine in a stoneware crock and set in my garage directly on the slab. the slab keeps the crock cool and the garage being insulated does not get that hot either.

one thing that I am not sure about is you mention the brine level not being up to the top. when you add your salt and mix the shredded cabbage til it wilts the cabbage should start making its own water. I have never seen it where there was not enough brine to cover. Maybe the cabbage was unusually dry? How long after picking before shredding?

if there was not enough brine to cover then a person could have mixed up some brine, I know there is a recipe for the brine on one of my kraut posts. is the same thing I fill air lock bags with just in case of a leak in bag. you did the right thing by tossing.
              Charbroil SFB
              GOSM
              MES
              Dutch Ovens and other CI
              Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
              Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

I think you are on to something. I do believe the cabbage was dry now that I think about when I was chopping it up. The store tore all the outside leaves off so it looked really nice, but they were hiding the age of the cabbage. Doesn't surprise me coming from the store I bought it at. Will shop for fresh cabbage when the weather gets cooler.

Comment

I always make up some 2% brine to top off when there is too little liquid.
                  A few of my favorite things:
                  Good Whiskey
                  Good Food
                  Bad Girls
                  sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
                  Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

REDEMPTION

Made a double batch 4 weeks ago. Just busted open one jar and it tastes great.

There wasn't much brine in the jar, so should I mix up some up to it's covered? This jar is going in the fridge.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Nice!! Break out the brats...
                      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Working...
                      X