Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot n Fast

Brisket
    I know right. I'm coming with that? I haven't gone bonkers. Hear me out, we are the misfits. It's just too good to keep a secret. You just need to try it. Or don't.

Salt and pepper, some Hunky beef overnight. 275F to 300F

Spray with 2 parts iced tea and 1 part vinegar during cook
    Go the whole way, raw dog. No foil, nice hot clean smoke. To 200F internal on the dot.
    Then rest. This is key. Don't rush or skimp it.
    Wrap it in foil, place in a foil pan. Place entire thing in a cooler and cover with towels. Don't touch it for 3 hours. At least 3. 4 is better.
    Brisket will still be piping hot after 4 hours if it was packed correctly.
    Slice and enjoy
    It is up there with the best
    sigpicSmoke meat, not crack
    Sullys bangin' ass jerkey-
    Pepperoni-Pernil-Spicy snack stix-Ryans crab cakes-Dip for smoked fish-Lox-Beer brittle-Pizza crust-Spinach and artichoke dip-Garlic link-Pizza Links-

dang!!
    ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

Looks my-t-fine. . I'll take a few slices of that any day!

Comment

That's some purty beef Ryan...
        Craig
        sigpic

Comment

Yes sir! There are more than 1 way to make good brisket. Nicely done!
          sigpic

Comment

Great brisket!! Yes 3 to 4 hour rest is key
            Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
            Yoder YS640
            Weber Genesis
            Weber 18.5" Kettle
            Weber Performer
            Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Interesting....

So, i think this is a great idea and worthy of . But i do have a question or 2.

How does the time line compare low and slow to hot and quick with a 3 to 4 hour rest?

Have you tired any temperatures higher than 300°?

Looks great
              Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Man, I've cooked hundreds of briskets and pretty much always run them at 275. They render fine at that temp. I do tend to trim them up a bit and remove a bunch of the fat prior to cooking. Especially the big chunk of fat between the point and the flat. Why waste heat energy on a piece that you are going to throw away? A cut like that is still a lower temp then what most folks would do in their oven but it does help push a full packer past that dang stall period a little faster. Look at my signature picture. pretty sure we eat beef in Oklahoma.
                sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by crusty ol salt View Post
                    Interesting....

So, i think this is a great idea and worthy of . But i do have a question or 2.

How does the time line compare low and slow to hot and quick with a 3 to 4 hour rest?

Have you tired any temperatures higher than 300°?

Looks great
                    I sometimes let it creep up to 350F max. Any higher and it starts to burn. It wasn't real fast. Just under 7hours. But that is pretty quick for a brisket. I guess with the rest it's about the same as low and slow, you are just doing more cooking in the cooler than on the smoker. I just think it comes out some of the best, and you can get it done, box it up, and take care of the rest of things
                    Pepperoni-Pernil-Spicy snack stix-Ryans crab cakes-Dip for smoked fish-Lox-Beer brittle-Pizza crust-Spinach and artichoke dip-Garlic link-Pizza Links-

Comment

Thanks Everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by Charcuteryan View Post
                        I sometimes let it creep up to 350F max. Any higher and it starts to burn. It wasn't real fast. Just under 7hours. But that is pretty quick for a brisket. I guess with the rest it's about the same as low and slow, you are just doing more cooking in the cooler than on the smoker. I just think it comes out some of the best, and you can get it done, box it up, and take care of the rest of things
                        One of the members here, a few years back did a test after cooking a brisket.... wrapped it in foil, towels and into a cooler..... then he went to a golf tournament or something like that, and HOURS later (don't remember how many) it was still hot/warm when he pulled it oot of the cooler for slicing.
                        sigpic

Comment

Looks great.

FWIW here's a discussion on hot and fast from almost 8 years ago.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3122
                          CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                          UDS 1.0
                          Afterburner
                          Weber Performer
                          Blue Thermapen
                          Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                          Auber Smoker Controller
                          Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                          -
                          "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                            Looks great.

FWIW here's a discussion on hot and fast from almost 8 years ago.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3122
                            Oh man that was quite the discussion. I must have missed that. Some good points there. Some not so good. I don't prefer any one way. I like to try something new most of the time. I'm from the school of "you can't knock it, till you try it"

Comment

Originally posted by Charcuteryan View Post
                              Oh man that was quite the discussion. I must have missed that. Some good points there. Some not so good. I don't prefer any one way. I like to try something new most of the time. I'm from the school of "you can't knock it, till you try it"
                              Yep.

Lots of ways to make tasty food.

Some people get locked into a few processes that they've always done and may not know what they are missing.
                              CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                              UDS 1.0
                              Afterburner
                              Weber Performer
                              Blue Thermapen
                              Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                              Auber Smoker Controller
                              Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                              -
                              "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Working...
                              X