BBQ judges...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
    could have been on the guys hands when he put the meat in the tray.
    Maybe . . .

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
    Sooo Rich Parker/IBQ'in outta MI here..great cooker. Got Grands all over..WON Sam's Club overall last year for 50K... :
    but not very likely.

Sounds like he knows how to prep a turn in box.

Dave
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

My limited judging experience (7-8 times - I've done more of those than comp cooks) is that the noobie judges don't go to the trouble to do a comment card. Just my gut here...
      Glen
      Large Vertical & 3 UDS (Illini drum by Bubba before he went big-time)
      KCBS CBJ
      Blue Thermopen
      Profile:
      http://www.coltecconsulting.com

Comment

Other than the tremendous expense of competing, THAT is why I stopped competing... judges are all over the place. It's all subjective, you are at the mercy of someone who may or may not know what good Q is.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
          Other than the tremendous expense of competing, THAT is why I stopped competing... judges are all over the place. It's all subjective, you are at the mercy of someone who may or may not know what good Q is.
          TRUTH....
          Just because you welded some shit together doesnt make it a WSM.

Twitter: @GrubSeeker

Comment

We just got back from a comp in AZ this past weekend. And for the first time, I think the judges got it right for the most part.

I knew our brisket was too salty...I got 3 comment cards, 9-9-8, 9-8-7, 9-8-8. All had the 'too salty' box checked.

Over half the judges were Master CBJ's though. Which was good and bad.

NOW, with that being said. I really struggle w/ judging and how they can pull someone off street to fill a chair after giving them a brief crash course on judging. Also, the 'luck of the table' is another thing I struggle with. We tend to end up on tough tables, but I know that's all chance.

Comment

Originally posted by ThunderDome View Post
              We just got back from a comp in AZ this past weekend. And for the first time, I think the judges got it right for the most part.
              I knew our brisket was too salty...I got 3 comment cards, 9-9-8, 9-8-7, 9-8-8. All had the 'too salty' box checked.
              Sounds like you made a rub change or if you used an injection, it was too salty
              sigpic
              New Braunfels Bandera
              New Braunfels Hondo
              4-22.5" Weber Kettles
              1-26" Weber Kettle
              24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
              Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

Same rub and injection combo.

Where I 'think' I went wrong was adding the brisket au jus to the premade au jus. Should just stick to the script

Comment

Working...
                X