No announcement yet.

My first build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks. Been doing tons of searches just want to double check munch ideas before I got and make them semi permanent lol

Comment

A bit more done finally. Almost there hope to have it wrapped up this weekend. Should I wire Brush the inside or just wipe down with a degreaser before I season it?
      Attached Files

Comment

neither, I would take it to a car wash or soak it down with dawn dish soap and hot water if possible.

You can use a engine type degreaser but follow it up with lots of soap and water then a high temp burn.

Comment

Ok lol maybe I'll drag preassure washer to the shop and do it there to much of a pain in the butt to load and drag to car wash

Comment

so I am going convert my unit to electric and found this

http://www.alliedkenco.com/heatingki...-5000watt.aspx

I plan on closing on the exhausts I have in use currently and extending an exhaust up from the bottom towards the top of the smoker. basically create a somewhat of a reverse flow so it has to force the exhaust back down through the bottom right side

also need to figure out a PID controller

I love the pellet unit but I think its a bit under sized for the size of my unit. I am going to use it on the next fridge build from an old fridge my buddy has

Comment

5K watts that needs 220V to run is a whole lot IMHO. You also need a temp controller that can handle the amperage as well.

The key to ANY smoker design is airflow.

I will look back at the size of your chamber. When I "choose" to use electric in mine I have a 1500 Watt burner from a electric BBQ that I picked up at wally world for $20.00. That is controller by a PID controller.

1500 Watts takes a little time to heat up but i plan accordingly, It will also run at 200 all day long.

That set up is only used for sausage. Everything else gets treated to propane. I am also building a charcoal basket. If I can control my temps good enough I may stick with that.

5000 Watts would probably get up to temp in 5 Min.

Comment

yea im still debaiting on just going with the elements from a smoker(the 1500 watt ones) that ive seen a lot of people using. ill have to cut out the bottom plate that i was using as a deflector and repurpose it to shield the element(s)

i think my main problem is air flow. the left side has racks while the right is open for hanging stuff.

as of now i have 2 4" exhausts out the rear of the unit about 6-8" down from the top. i was thinking of closing the one off and extending the other so it it about 1" off the bottom on the opposite side the element is on. would that work and force more air to move around the unit giving me more even heat?

thats if i use the blower heating unit......

or if i used the element(s) with a low cfm blower moving air over them from inside the unit (instead of drawing in as much fresh air as the other)..... i know i just had issues with even heat last winter. we use this for our deer processing we do on the side for a few people

Comment

Maybe a movable diffusion plate above the heat, move it depending on your usage.
                  Mark
                  sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                  Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

There are a lot of Elements that you can use. Any element from electric stove will work. Some high temp wire or heat shield.

You can pick them up at almost anywhere.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Range-Kle...and-F/16664764

You can wire these up to use more than one depending on the temp you are trying to reach.

I went with something similar to this and just threw away all the plastic parts

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Smart-Pla...Grill/29559157

If you look at the design that BBQengineer built or a humphreys clone and the look at the placement and size of the exhaust you will get positive results. his is charcoal fired, but I do not see any reason the design would not work as a watt burner.

Keep us updated with the progress.

Comment

Well I guess I need to get on this rebuild fall is getting here to quick. Am I better off with a plugnplay 4800 watt PId from auberns or building one from scratch. The size of my cc is roughly 59k cu in. I appreciate all the help guys. I can wire a house. It not very good when it comes to figuring out watts and btus

I've even debaitied in making a charcoal basket and trying that. My main things is I need to hold around 170-180 for my sticks so I don't cook all the fat out.

Comment

from what i see/read this is 3500 watts at 240/ volts

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sears-Ken...&wl13=&veh=sem

using this controller

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=464

SSR

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?ma...&products_id=9

Heat Sink

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=244

Fan

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=401

i found this one thats 20 cfm. how would i wire it into the PID to come on when the element? also say for hot smokes would i be able to disengage the element and have it just run the fan for charcoal basket?

along with hitemp wire and a box to install it all in. would i need a switch or does the PID control that?

i am wanting to add a small cfm fan (or adjustable using this) controlling some type of fan... i have been looking and cant seem to find one that will fit the purpose any ideas? i will have it moving air over the element at the base of the unit. i was going to set it up to draw off the one exhaust i have now to circulate the air (good idea, not good idea??)

the setup i have picked out so far is that good for what i want to do?? we are going to drop a 50A sub off the main panel for the shed. i know how to wire stuff and can read a diagram but im not good when it comes to figuring out the right amperage and wattage stuff

Comment

All that would work. That element will pull 16 amps using a 220V feed.

You should be able to crank it up to 500 degrees with no problem and get there quickly.

No need to preheat with that kind of power.

Comment

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
                            All that would work. That element will pull 16 amps using a 220V feed.

You should be able to crank it up to 500 degrees with no problem and get there quickly.

No need to preheat with that kind of power.
                            thanks!

whats your opinion on a fan? like a 20 cfm that would draw in fresh air when the element is on?

Comment

A fan would help heat things more evenly. Depending on your build it may not be needed.

The heat from the coil is going to rise and create a draft naturally.

I would get a small DC fan and make it adjustable to slow it down.

Comment

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=401

like this? it will draw fresh air so should I have it run inline of the PID so it cycles with the element?

guess I can add that in later. I currently have 2 4" exhaust but I'm closing the one off.

thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
                                X