No announcement yet.

"Kraut" Kit, from Farmsteady

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sheesh stay away a little while and we got Ron making kraut and Pete doing kraut/peppers! Nice!!!

Only thing I have to add is I make some pretty good batches and then can them, nice to have the canned stuff on the shelf. However they say the healthy benefits of the fermented cabbage are lost in the canning process so maybe smaller batches be better. That said I do not care for the store bought cabbage's and farmers markets are pretty much a one shot deal at least in my area. So I grow my own and use the same cabbage my mother used to grow. Is a very solid head and is called Stonehead variety.
    Charbroil SFB
    GOSM
    MES
    Dutch Ovens and other CI
    Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
    Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Hey, Erain - good to see you!

I'm definitely going to be getting in touch with the local Hutterites this coming summer for some of their wonderful cabbages. I never have much luck growing them - I only get cabbages maybe twice the size of a softball, and the bugs get about half of those!
      Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
      Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

Originally posted by TasunkaWitko View Post
        Hey, Erain - good to see you!

I'm definitely going to be getting in touch with the local Hutterites this coming summer for some of their wonderful cabbages. I never have much luck growing them - I only get cabbages maybe twice the size of a softball, and the bugs get about half of those!
        Just make sure you are getting a nice solid head. My guess is the H's grow a variety suitable.
        Charbroil SFB
        GOSM
        MES
        Dutch Ovens and other CI
        Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
        Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X