Sriracha Asian Smoked Wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
    Hey Pete try (if you can find it) Mae Ploy, sweet chili sauce sometime. It's a lot like your recipe...not as good of course.
    Thanks Mark, that's great to know actually. I love that sauce at Thai restaurants with steamed dumplings. It's very good but I never quite knew where to find it.

Thanks for the help
    Last edited by Abelman; 08-08-2013, 05:21 PM. Reason: spelling, I suck at it.
    Pete
    Large BGE
    Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Originally posted by Abelman View Post
      Thanks Mark, that's great to know actually. I love that sauce at Thai restaurants with steamed dumplings. It's very good but I never quite knew where to find it.

Thanks for the help
      Oriental grocery!
      Mark
      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Or you can make your own

Thai Sweet Chili Sauce

Ingredients
        3 large garlic cloves, peeled
        2 red Jalapeño or Serrano peppers, deseeded
        1/4 cup white distilled vinegar
        1/2 cup sugar
        3/4 cup water
        1/2 tablespoon salt
        1 tablespoon cornstarch or potato starch
        2 tablespoons water

Instructions
        1. In the blender, purée together all the ingredients, except for the last two.
        2. Transfer the mixture to a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Lower the heat to medium and simmer until the mixture thickens up a bit and the garlic-pepper bits begin to soften,
        about 3 minutes.
        3. Combine the cornstarch and water to make a slurry. Whisk in the cornstarch mixture and continue to simmer one more minute. The cornstarch will help the sauce to thicken slightly thereby causing nice suspension of the garlic-pepper bits; otherwise, you get a thin sauce with all the little pieces floating on the surface.
        4. Let cool completely before storing in a glass jar and refrigerate.

Notes:
        The heat is the strongest the day you make the sauce and starts to dissipate gradually. This sauce keeps for a long time, and after a couple of weeks, you can’t even taste the pepper.

If you want to make a large batch of this sauce (more than half a gallon) — and you certainly should since this sauce lasts a long time — the best thickener to use is pre-gelatinized or “pre-gel” starch which is both acid- and heat-stable (corn or potato starch is not). It’s marketed under the brand name Clearjel®. Your chilli sauce will remain viscous and maintain the nice suspension for the entire duration of its shelf life when thickened with pre-gelatinized starch.

Traditionally, Thai sweet chilli sauce is not thickened with starch; the syrupy consistency is achieved through cooking the sauce containing lots of sugar down until it’s thick enough to create a good suspension of the garlic-pepper bits. However, if you notice, bottled Thai sweet chilli sauce normally contains a starch thickener. You can go either way. I personally prefer the version that contains less sugar which is this one.
        sigpic
        Fully Accessorized Primo XL Oval,
        -BBQ GURU DigiQ DX2,
        -AMNPS
        -And various other do-dads, gimmicks,
        gizmos and hornswaggles

Comment

Easy to make check
          Looks outstanding check
          Can be modified to taste check
          simple check

AWESOME thanks for the recipe will be doing this soon

Comment

Cool, thanks for the recipe. Not to be confused with TH's Sweet Thai Chili Relish. Made with Thai chilies...you can taste the chilies forever!
            Mark
            sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
            Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Great that this got bumped as idea fer tomorrow.
              Made some legs back when this was first posted & they were awesome.
              I added some buckboard bacon just because.

Terry here
              Still have Christene

Comment

Originally posted by Abelman View Post
                I know I started this but I'm bumping it as fall and football are coming. I'm just glad someone showed it to me back when.

Enjoy and let's hear of the modifications anyone makes.
                And I am glad you bumped it up cause it looks better now than it did way back!!! I am sorry to say i have not tried it yet but it made some leaps to the top of the list. mebe after labor day!!! goin fishing again.
                Charbroil SFB
                GOSM
                MES
                Dutch Ovens and other CI
                Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Made 11lbs. of these today. Everybody loved them. Thanks for the recipe.

Comment

Oh my, this looks Awesome and tasty. I will have ti give it a go soon....
                    God, Family and Friends is what it's all about. Great food just brings them all together... First John1:9...
                    Weber Performer Gold
                    Masterbuilt 26" twins
                    Big Chief Electric smoker
                    Brinkmann barrel smoker
                    LEM sausage stuffer
                    Cabela's pro HD grinder
                    Maverick ET-732
                    ThermoWorks Thermapen
                    GrillGrates

Comment

Working...
                    X