Gonna try a chicken today. Advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gonna try a chicken today. Advice please

So I am thinking that since it is a rainy and gloomy day here, I should smoke a chicken for the first time to raise my spirits
    Looking around a bit it sounds like a 275-300 temp on the smoker should be the target.
    I have a can holder thing that my daughter got me for Christmas so I guess I just put a can with the top cut off and some apple juice in it and stick it up the chicken's butt?

After washing the chicken well, should I do anything special? I saw that someone here threw some italian on it for a bit in the fridge. Sounds like it would work for me. I was going to rub it with some Mad Hunky maybe?

How long should it take to cook so I can prepare the rest of the meal? 3 hours?
    I rub it every chance I get!

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Granted, all this is just in my head. Until I win the lotto, or my career as a stripper pays off, I'm forced to use the kitchen counter....

Mad Hunky is an excellent choice for yardbird.

Get some under the skin...in the thigh and breast area. A bit of butter in there is nice too. Then a good coating on the outside.

I'm still not much convinced the "beer butt" thing does much good. Face it..the can never gets hotter than the IT of the bird. Some small amount steam, and perhaps a bit of ny aromatic herbs you include... eh...pretty much pointless. Baste it instead.

I'd not mix Italian and MH. But hey...I'd have not tried it on popcorn either. I would suggest... if you are looking for a baseline...that "less is better" and you can always tweak after you have one ingredient nailed.

Keep temps up and take to 165 in the deep thigh/breast, Better yet, pop off the breast at 165 and take the rest to 180 :{)

Have you gotten a sample of the poultry brine?
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Hey Rich, no I haven't had the pleasure of sampling your poultry brine but since I have burned through the first pound out of a pound and a half of Mad Hunky I'll be needing to order some in the next month or so. I'll be sure to get some of your brine to try as well.

I was wondering about the italian/MH mix. Should I rub it with some oil then? I hear people use mustard? Never tried it.

I am going to use the can stand thing just so I can tell my daughter that I did it.
      When you say to remove the breast....how? Dude I almost never cook chicken. My wife does all the chicken cooking around here so what do you mean by that? While it is hot I carve the breast out or do you mean something else? Also, how do I keep it warm? Oven? Sorry for all the questions but just pretend I am a little slow and use as many single syllable words as you can

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Granted, all this is just in my head. Until I win the lotto, or my career as a stripper pays off, I'm forced to use the kitchen counter....

Comment

Mad Hunky on chicken is a perfect match IMO...... Personally, I would go @ least 325* on chicken if you like to eat the skin also. I cook mine typically spatchcocked @ 350* minimum & most of the time 375* to 400* to start. But that's just me, and I do like that crispy chicken skin
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by someAZdude View Post
          Sorry for all the questions but just pretend I am a little slow and use as many single syllable words as you can
          Never worry about questions.

Far as the breasts Vs. the rest- just grab the bottom of the breast assembly and WHACK! Wrap in foil and into a towel wrap. Let the thigh/drummies go another 15, and they'll be much more tender.

You can rub with oil...mustard? never heard of that. Ribs/butts, yes... chicken? not so much.
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I also like to do my chickens at a higher temp (350 - 375) so the skin doesn't get like rubber.
            Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
            Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
            1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
            Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
            Weber Smokey Joe
            Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
            Pink Thermapen
            Purple Thermapen

Comment

Rich is prolly right on the beer can thing ina smoker.But I do my beer can chickens on a hot grill prolly 350-400 and I know the can is a steemin and it is the ticket
              2-22.5'' weber
              1-18'' weber
              1 smokey joe
              22.5'' wsm
              24'' smoke vault
              1-outhouse
              Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
              Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Originally posted by someAZdude View Post
                How long should it take to cook so I can prepare the rest of the meal? 3 hours?
                Don't go by time go by temperature. Take it to at least 165° internal. But roughly when I do whole chickens I cook them at about 350° and they take 2-3hrs. That said I always have my meat thermo in my pocket.

Comment

I see what you guys are saying about the can. Never realized that was a grill thing vs smoker. Okay, I'll probably skip it then. So rub with oil, mad hunky, in the fridge for a bit? I wasn't going to spatchcock it due to the can thing but since I am skipping that I guess I will. I need to cook off my AMNPS anyways so I'll do that first and then put the chicken on at a higher temp. I am thinking I'll pull it apart and put it on top of some ravioli or something :)

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                    But hey...I'd have not tried it on popcorn either.
                    Really ?? You really should try it along with a few cold ones....
                    Last edited by Doug S.; 02-14-2012, 01:44 PM.
                    Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
                    Weber 22.5" WSM
                    Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
                    Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
                    Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
                    Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
                    Weber 18.5" Kettle
                    Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
                    Weber Smokey Joe
                    GMG Daniel Boone
                    Pit Barrel Cooker
                    Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
                    6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
                    Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
                    The Vortex

Comment

@ 375-400* starting temp on a kettle takes me aboot 1.15 hour for a 5-6 pound spatchcocked bird. Your mileage may vary.
                      sigpic

Comment

I like 325-350 for poultry as well. It gives a much better chance at great skin.

Personally, I cook all my poultry on the weber OTS, it's made for chicken indirect. For all other types of meat, the UDS and modded ECB get called up.

Well, OK, I'd still use the OTS for steaks and other small cuts. But mostly for chicken :)
                        sigpic

Modded Brinkmann Gourmet. Basic UDS. Rescued 22.5" OTS. Stubbs. B&B Oak Lump

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                          @ 375-400* starting temp on a kettle takes me aboot 1.15 hour for a 5-6 pound spatchcocked bird. Your mileage may vary.
                          Cool, thanks Fish

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Comment

the "higher heat" advice is the best that i can think of, because it is true. chicken simply isn't a meat that requires or benefits from "low-n-slow...."

one thing, in my experience, is that i've had trouble using a thermometer with chicken, this is probably a result of my own error, but i can never seem to get it into a place in the thigh that i know has an accurate reading. with that in mind, a good way to get a "second opinion" from the chicken on whether it is done or not is to grab the end of a leg and see if you can "shake hands" with it. it sounds a little goofy, but that's what it amounts to. a chicken that is not done will have a stiff handshake, or won't move much at all. a chicken that is done will have an easy, free, loose handshake.
                            Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
                            Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

Originally posted by TasunkaWitko View Post
                              a chicken that is done will have an easy, free, loose handshake.
                              Indeed...but in my experience, the breast will be ovrcooked by then. The thigh/drummies require more time/IT than the breast. Alot more fat and cartilage to break down in the south end of a chicken heading north.

Comment

Working...
                              X