Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking, Roasting, or Frying. How are you having your Turkey this Thanksgiving?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to brine as well then set it on the rotisserrie on the kettle, you think an oven bag would work to brine in?
    God, Family and Friends is what it's all about. Great food just brings them all together... First John1:9...
    Weber Performer Gold
    Masterbuilt 26" twins
    Big Chief Electric smoker
    Brinkmann barrel smoker
    LEM sausage stuffer
    Cabela's pro HD grinder
    Maverick ET-732
    ThermoWorks Thermapen
    GrillGrates

Comment

It was going to be roasted then the wife changed her mind to have me deep fry it (Yes!)... I can see this playing out now.. Drop it in the oil at 9:30 AM... Fry till 10:15 :20... Rest till around 11AM and carve.. Grace around 11:05 me finish eating around 11:10.. Load the rest of my gear and be heading to the hunting property at 11:15.. In my deer blind before 3PM..

Then 4 days of hunting.. It just does not get better than that..
      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Our thanksgiving turkey will be however mom cooks it so it'll be good. Do plan on picking one up to brine/cure and slow smoke.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
          Our thanksgiving turkey will be however mom cooks it so it'll be good.
          Just what I was getting ready to say! Mom always roasts.
          Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
          Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
          1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
          Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
          Weber Smokey Joe
          Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
          Pink Thermapen
          Purple Thermapen

Comment

BIL is in charge of the bird. I won't complain he does a good job. He brines and stuffs the cavity with citrus fruits, and herbs. Then onto his pellet pooper. He has a really good glaze he puts on it, but won't share the recipe.

Comment

I'm leaving for Cody Wyoming on an all expense paid elk huntMay be home for T day May not(and wont really care how the bird gets done)
              2-22.5'' weber
              1-18'' weber
              1 smokey joe
              22.5'' wsm
              24'' smoke vault
              1-outhouse
              Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
              Smoked meathead #135

Comment

The wifey does her thing with the oven on T-day every year to show off her culinary skills:). I am cooking a tri tip and some abts as an appetizer though on the kettle indirect with some cherry wood!
                -Modified Brinkmann Gourmet Charcoal Smoker
                -22.5" Blue Weber Gold w/ weber side table
                -18.5" '69 daisy wheel Weber redhead restored
                -Smokey Joe Silver x 2 --- one turned Mini WSM
                -Coleman road trip grill
                -Charbroil performance gasser
                -Maveric ET-732
                -CI: Le Creuset#23, Wagner#3, Wagner square skillet, lodge#8, wagner #9 griddle, griswold #9 slant griddle, griswold #10 block skillet, griswold #5 small, griswold #7 slant skillet w/ heat ring, griswold #8 block with self basting lid

Comment

Oven roasted. Assuming the oven will cooperate.

It has been known to miss a few lighting cycles then it gives up. Safety feature I guess since it's gas. Oh, and there is no indication, visual, audible or otherwise.

Inconvenient as hell when everyone is waiting for a turkey though.

So now when we host a big dinner, the Maverick ET-73 keeps a watchful eye on the oven.

Of course the oven never misses a beat then.

Dave
                  CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                  UDS 1.0
                  Afterburner
                  Weber Performer
                  Blue Thermapen
                  Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                  Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                  Auber Smoker Controller
                  Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                  -
                  "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Got plans confused this year so having a lot of Thanksgiving grub.
                    After work on Thanksgiving eve (whatever day that it, 21st I think?) I'm going over to my Brother and his Wifes house and will be prepping a Turducken from scratch and also smoking a brisket. He also want's to fry a turkey but I think that's really way too much food but whatever. So Turducken and brisket on the menu there (with burnt ends of course) then off to my Sisters for a more traditional turkey dinner which I may not eat because by then...burnt ends and turducken and maybe cajun fried turkey? I'm going to grub like crazy!!!!! But Family obligations and will be fun no matter what.
                    Then let Black Friday shopping begin!
                    60something inch HD smart Vizio TV for just under $700?
                    Hell yeah I'm going to try to get that SOB
                    There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rg02 View Post
                      The wifey does her thing with the oven on T-day every year to show off her culinary skills:). I am cooking a tri tip and some abts as an appetizer though on the kettle indirect with some cherry wood!
                      to you because somehow that wasn't even included on the menu this year and I can't believe I forgot about ABTs!!!!!

Thank you so much
                      There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MrZip66 View Post
                        Sometimes I don't want to deal with the ziploc bags and have brined them in a plastic garbage bag. Burp the air, twist em up tight and they work fine...
                        I usually use 1 of those blue "cube" coolers.

depends on the weather. either smoke w/ a mix of pecan & cherry or roast in the oven.
                        brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
                        18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
                        cast iron Hibachi
                        22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
                        & rotisserator
                        12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
                        stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
                        Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
                        http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
                        my music recordings-
                        http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Gonna leave Thanksgiving to Mrs Cav.
                          Traditional roasted turkey, bread stuffing, homemade noodles...etc

It's the one meal a year that she absolutely insists on cooking.

Comment

I picked up a 20 lbs bird. Practicing this wknd

Comment

We're going to my sister's for Thanksgiving, her FIL does the turkey. He starts at the crack of dawn and makes stock. He roasts it in the oven and bastes it with the stock, it's always a big hit. I might make a pecan pie or a cheesecake to bring.

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                              Oven roasted. Assuming the oven will cooperate.

It has been known to miss a few lighting cycles then it gives up. Safety feature I guess since it's gas. Oh, and there is no indication, visual, audible or otherwise.
                              My gas oven just started doing that last week. It took an hour to preheat. I ordered a new ignitor for $25 that should be here Tuesday. If you're interested in hearing if that fixes it, I'll let you know.

Comment

Not sure what my plans are as of yet. Wife is having some surgery on Monday, and depending on how it goes, depends where we go. Regardless, I hate eating turkey.... If we stay home, its gonna be ribs, greens, maybe a smoked shrimp or 2 and some cornbread....
                                Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Working...
                                X