Sober Chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sober Chicken

I know, doesn't sound as exciting, but works for me as I don't drink. How's that for an anomaly, a Cajun that doesn't drink???!?

I used to inject my birds with Creole Garlic or Creole Butter, but here lately I've been brining the birds. I normally use this one:

Turkey by Allsmokenofire

I found this one, gonna try it too:

Smokin' Okies Turkey Brine

Stuck each bird in a 2 gallon Ziploc bag, poured in the brine, pressed all the air out and stuck them in the fridge overnight. They have been in the brine a little less than 24 hours.

I have some ceramic chicken setters; wife got 'em off Amazon a few years ago. Work very good.

I fill them with celery and onion, then top off with Sprite; works just as well as beer.
    -Mike in Alabama

Why do we park in a driveway, and drive on a parkway?

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
    My DBS
    My Insulated Hybrid

Here are the UDS's that I built. I'll be using #2, the one on the left, bc don't feel like bending over to adjust the intake.....that will be a retrofit on #1 when I get a chance.

Here are the two chickens, one in Smokin' Okies and one in the usual.

-Mike in Alabama

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
    My DBS
    My Insulated Hybrid

Comment

Filling up the setters.......

I rub the birds down with some EVOO and then apply a generous coating of Cavenders'.

On the setters, ready to go.

-Mike in Alabama

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
      My DBS
      My Insulated Hybrid

Comment

Looks good! Put lime soda on ribs before but never chicken. Ill try it
        sigpicSmoke meat, not crack
        Sullys bangin' ass jerkey-
        Pepperoni-Pernil-Spicy snack stix-Ryans crab cakes-Dip for smoked fish-Lox-Beer brittle-Pizza crust-Spinach and artichoke dip-Garlic link-Pizza Links-

Comment

Fire basket loaded. Using apple and cherry for this cook.

-Mike in Alabama

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
          My DBS
          My Insulated Hybrid

Comment

Originally posted by Charcuteryan View Post
            Looks good! Put lime soda on ribs before but never chicken. Ill try it
            Thanks! You won't regret it!
            -Mike in Alabama

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
            My DBS
            My Insulated Hybrid

Comment

'm going to send some TEA-TOTALLING . I love that S-M is on the laptpo.

I have made Cola based BBQ sauces a number of times. I don't see why sprite would not work.

How hot are you going to run your smoker? The concensus around here is HOT, HOT, HOT. Lots of members are running well over 300*. Most are in the 350* - 400* range. (for crispy skin)

keep the pics comming
              Please ignore all spelling errors and typos my pet monkey does all of my corespondence

Comment

Originally posted by PreacherRodgers View Post
                'm going to send some TEA-TOTALLING . I love that S-M is on the laptpop.
                lol.........wondered if someone would notice. Been posting on that 'other' forum and found this one recently, looks like a good group of guys so I'll try it out.

I have made Cola based BBQ sauces a number of times. I don't see why sprite would not work.
                Never tried sprite in a BBQ sauce, but I've done briskets in it before and it turns out just the same as when I used beer. Can't tell the difference....

How hot are you going to run your smoker? The concensus around here is HOT, HOT, HOT. Lots of members are running well over 300*. Most are in the 350* - 400* range. (for crispy skin)
                I am a tried-and-true 250 kinda guy. Works so well that my therms on the UDS are set to point straight up at 250 so I know I'm at the sweet spot every time.....

keep the pics comming
                I shall oblige! Got a dutch oven dessert planned and Wife's gonna throw together a batch of honey butter biscuits, and she's gonna try to make some cinnamon butter too. I'll have plenty of pics for ya today!
                Last edited by Bkndsdl; 11-16-2013, 11:53 AM.
                -Mike in Alabama

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
                My DBS
                My Insulated Hybrid

Comment

Oh, and congratulations! To the chicken for getting on the wagon
                  sigpicSmoke meat, not crack
                  Sullys bangin' ass jerkey-
                  Pepperoni-Pernil-Spicy snack stix-Ryans crab cakes-Dip for smoked fish-Lox-Beer brittle-Pizza crust-Spinach and artichoke dip-Garlic link-Pizza Links-

Comment

Originally posted by Charcuteryan View Post
                    Oh, and congratulations! To the chicken for getting on the wagon
                    Lol!

Got some thin blue goin, and therm's almost straight up. Things are good........

-Mike in Alabama

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
                    My DBS
                    My Insulated Hybrid

Comment

"ON THE WAGON" That's funny right there
                      Please ignore all spelling errors and typos my pet monkey does all of my corespondence

Comment

Looks good. I like those "setters".
                        I rub it every chance I get!

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Granted, all this is just in my head. Until I win the lotto, or my career as a stripper pays off, I'm forced to use the kitchen counter....

Comment

....these chickens fell off the wagon and fell into the fire, not sure if they made much of an improvement!

perfect.......I always plan for 6 hours at this temp. The birds usually go anywhere from 4 to 6. I want enough time for at least an hour rest before serving.

BTW, I use a water pan filled with apple juice. It's big enough to act as a diffuser as well.

Thanks for looking!
                          -Mike in Alabama

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
                          My DBS
                          My Insulated Hybrid

Comment

Originally posted by someAZdude View Post
                            Looks good. I like those "setters".
                            Thanks man. I like these because I don't have to mess with cutting the can, trying to get enough onions and celery in it, so & sf.....these ceramic setters hold a lot more and are just overall easier to deal with. However, the only drawback I see with them is that they don't support the chicken as well as the metal setters; the birds are kinda wobbly. They cook the same, though......they make a turkey setter as well, haven't tried one of those out yet.
                            -Mike in Alabama

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
                            My DBS
                            My Insulated Hybrid

Comment

I have come to like brining; when you brine the time is almost cut in half for the cook. Other than being perfectly juicy every single time, the time savings is to me by far the biggest advantage. It's only been an hour and a half and I'm at the pull temp of 180 in the thigh. I don't like to stand over my cook; best to set it up and leave it alone, so the lower and slower the better for me. The skin comes out fine for me......

180 on the probe in the thigh, and passed the wing test.....

house is smellin' good.........

All wrapped up for a good rest.
                              Last edited by Bkndsdl; 11-16-2013, 01:16 PM.
                              -Mike in Alabama

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
                              My DBS
                              My Insulated Hybrid

Comment

Working...
                              X