Question about smoking a pork loin roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about smoking a pork loin roast

I have a 2.5 lb boneless pork loin roast I would like to do tomorrow in my Rec Tec pellet smoker. I would like to inject it and either rub it or baste it with a new fruity barbeque sauce recipe I have tried and like a lot.

Can you guys give me some tips as to temp. to set the smoker at and IT to look for.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks
    Hot fingers and smokey eyes...life is good.

Originally posted by 1911lover View Post
    I have a 2.5 lb boneless pork loin roast I would like to do tomorrow in my Rec Tec pellet smoker. I would like to inject it and either rub it or baste it with a new fruity barbeque sauce recipe I have tried and like a lot.

Can you guys give me some tips as to temp. to set the smoker at and IT to look for.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks
    I go about 250 till an IT of 145. Stuff is great and juicy yet on reheat for leftovers.
    sigpic

Comment

I would brine it, MH pork Brine. Smoke it @ 225 to 140/145°. It will dry out quick and get ...tough. Don't overcook.
      Mark
      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

BAR-ring (Hehe) you having the pork or poultry brine..here's a basic brine recipe:

.5 gallon non-tap water
        3/8 cup Kosher salt
        3/8 cup brown sugar (or honey)
        Round Tablespoon each sage, rosemary, thyme, CBP

gonna take about 8 hours.

Never liked injecting loins...tends to leave trails..and it's a dense muscle... most will leak out.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

PS..if yer in the Thumb..I will be in Dryden tomorrow by 7-ish AM cooking. PM me for my cell/details if you can make it.
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
            Never liked injecting loins...tends to leave trails..and it's a dense muscle... most will leak out.
            Yup!
            Mark
            sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
            Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Good info...Not much I can add to this...
              Craig
              sigpic

Comment

Yup----I too would use about 225*--250* smoker temp, and pull it at 145* IT, like the USDA says is safe.
                It shouldn't dry out like it used to at their old safe temp of 160* IT.
                So much better at 145* IT.

Bear
                Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Everything they said, but if you don't want to brine, try soaking in buttermilk instead... Yum.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                    Everything they said, but if you don't want to brine, try soaking in buttermilk instead... Yum.
                    For how long? Got some tenderloins to smoke tomorrow. I wanna try this.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
                      For how long? Got some tenderloins to smoke tomorrow. I wanna try this.
                      I mix 1 quart of buttermilk, aboot 4 teaspoons kosher salt, and aboot 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Let it soak in the fridge in a ziplok at least 4 to 6 hours, or overnight. Cheryl turned me on to using buttermilk a couple years ago. It's really amazing. Here's a link to what buttermilk does...

BTW, this is also good with chicken...

On edit: You can add garlic and lemon rind to the mix as well. Or anything that floats yer boat.
                      Last edited by HawgHeaven; 07-19-2014, 09:55 AM.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                        BAR-ring (Hehe) you having the pork or poultry brine..here's a basic brine recipe:

.5 gallon non-tap water
                        3/8 cup Kosher salt
                        3/8 cup brown sugar (or honey)
                        Round Tablespoon each sage, rosemary, thyme, CBP

gonna take about 8 hours.

Many thanks to all of you for your advice, especially you Richtee for the brine recipe. Tried it and it turned out really great....best piece of pork we've had in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by 1911lover View Post
                          Many thanks to all of you for your advice, especially you Richtee for the brine recipe. Tried it and it turned out really great....best piece of pork we've had in a while.
                          This is why Smoked-Meat is the best place in the WORLD for all things BBQ- amongst other things

Glad you were happy!

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                            I mix 1 quart of buttermilk, aboot 4 teaspoons kosher salt, and aboot 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Let it soak in the fridge in a ziplok at least 4 to 6 hours, or overnight. Cheryl turned me on to using buttermilk a couple years ago. It's really amazing. Here's a link to what buttermilk does...

BTW, this is also good with chicken...

On edit: You can add garlic and lemon rind to the mix as well. Or anything that floats yer boat.
                            Thanks for the link....always learning from you folks. I will try it on my next one and on the next chicken.

Comment

Whipped some up.

Hi Rich (Hunky)
                              Mixed some of your basic pork/poultry brine up and put a half boneless pork loin in it and will let it do it's thing till tomorrow morning and rub it down with some sweet rub and plop it on the smoker and will report back on the outcome after Big Bula (the Wife)Woofs some down (She is my official food taster) I'll know if it's any good then.

You ask How do I know if it was any Good? Easy,if she eats it all and I don't get any then it was good. Big Bula Loves Good Q Rookie07

Comment

Working...
                              X