Knife Sharpening Angle..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knife Sharpening Angle..

With all the excellent discussion about sharpeners I thought I would ask this since the new KO Work Sharp has adjustable angles and never really new till I started looking in the last two days that there is a lot of debate on what is the best angle.. I see 10, 15, 20, 22, 30 and so on.. Can we get some clarification on what IS a good sharpening angle?? Or we could just muddy the waters more..

I was only taught one way since I was 5 years old when my dad gave me my first knife and I really never gave it any thought as long as it was sharp enough for me to field whittle when I was young and feild dress my game as I grew older..
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

My Shun knife is 16 degrees. I tend to sharpen all of my knifes similar to the Shun as I like the edge that it gets.
    Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
    Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
    A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
    A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
    Frogmats
    Maverick ET 732
    Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

Heres some mud:

sigpicSmoke meat, not crack
      Sullys bangin' ass jerkey-
      Pepperoni-Pernil-Spicy snack stix-Ryans crab cakes-Dip for smoked fish-Lox-Beer brittle-Pizza crust-Spinach and artichoke dip-Garlic link-Pizza Links-

Comment

I just got my KO and have yet to play with different angles. To start with, for kitchen knives, I think I'm going to go with 18° to 20°. I've got Henkel Zwillinge and Messermeister knives. I don't think either are quite as hard as a Shun, so I'm going with a little more angle.

I've got 8 H.Z. steak knives. I may do 4 at 18° and 4 at 20° to see if I can notice any performance difference. If not, I'll stick with 20°.

The KO manual lists the following for kitchen knives:

Western: 20°
        Asian: 16°
        Paring: 20°
        Cleaver: 30°
        Bread: X (flat side only)

For outdoor knives:

Pocket: 25°
        Hunting: 25°
        Fillet: 20°
        Serrated: X
        Gut Hook: X

When taking kitchen knives all the way to "shiny sharp" (after "toothy sharp" and "shaving sharp"):

Kitchen: 17.5°
        Outdoor: 22.5°
        Yoder YS640, Weber Performer Platinum, Weber OTG, Weber Q220, Traeger BBQ125 Executive
        ThunderDome Vortex, Smokenator 1000, GrillGrates, A-Maze-N Tube Smoker (6" & 12")
        Weed Dragon Torch with Squeeze Valve (VT2-23SVC), Looftlighter, BernzOmatic High Intensity Torch Head (TS8000)
        Tappecue, Maverick ET-732 (x2), Maverick PT-100

SousVide Supreme, VacMaster VP112 (chamber), VacMaster Pro305 (suction)

Comment

In general... for the filet/fine slicing it's a smaller angle(s) you want. Larger as you go thru chopping/cleaving and wood cutting I guess I don't concern myself with the exact numbers, just that rule.
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

sorta follow this Cat...and a strop is nice to have...blade angle is important. you can get crap knives sharp...i also if i want it bad sharp run it acroos 600 - 1200 sandpaper...i get the omg from Louie when i pull blades out to sharpen. carry a sharp knife, i have rescued a British fighter pilot & Canadian with me old folding Buck Knife cutting straps loose in crash/fire situations
            http://www.homestead.org/DougSmith/S...or%27sEdge.htm
            Sunset Eagle Aviation
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Here's my honest answer.....I have never figured it out.

Back when I was kid, not long ago...., I was into knifes. I always had Bucks. Problem was, I could never properly sharpen them. Even took some lessons at a knife store with some stones and oil.....I still can't get the angle right

So at my age, I just bought an electric and it does a great job and even I can't mess it up. Best money I ever spent

I use it on all of our kitchen knives, even my K-Bar and it works great. It's fast, efficient and easy so, it's just my speed .
              Pete
              Large BGE
              Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

"------that there is a lot of debate on what is the best angle..-----"

It's like what's the best seasoning for pork. It depends.

One basic thing, as I understand it, is the more acute the angle, the sharper the knife, and the sharper the knife, the easier to get the edge damaged.

Unless you make a lot of sushi, I don't know if you need a scary sharp knife.

It depends on the metal also and your cutting habits.

If you have a tendency to chop, and have a tough cutting board, then you should not have a sharp knife with hard brittle metal.

dcarch

Comment

Originally posted by dcarch View Post
                  "------that there is a lot of debate on what is the best angle..-----"

It's like what's the best seasoning for pork. It depends.

One basic thing, as I understand it, is the more acute the angle, the sharper the knife, and the sharper the knife, the easier to get the edge damaged.

Unless you make a lot of sushi, I don't know if you need a scary sharp knife.

It depends on the metal also and your cutting habits.

If you have a tendency to chop, and have a tough cutting board, then you should not have a sharp knife with hard brittle metal.
                  Pretty much my take. The angle of the dangle...
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I have to sharpen my knives?
                    Craig
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                      Oh shut up. No..cut those reapers with a dull blade and spew juice everywhere...

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                        Oh shut up. No..cut those reapers with a dull blade and spew juice everywhere...
                        Oh.............That could suck.......some......
                        Craig
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                          Stop being so dull Craig...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                            Stop being so dull Craig...
                            Why change now...