No announcement yet.

Knife Sharpening Angle..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do I feel like I've been part of another hijack...
    Craig
    sigpic

Comment

I am far from the sharpest knife in the drawer and it's been a while since my last stay in Holiday Inn Express, but for it, it depends on not only the usage of the knife, but the steel it's made from. I have a S30V blade that is sharpened at 17° as the steel is so strong, it will protect the edge on a every day carry knife. Some of my cheaper AUS8 blades need ~22° for edge retention. The tougher the steel (not just Rockwell hardness), the shallower the angle can be.

I typically sharpen my hunting knives at 22°-25° as they get used for various things like occasional hammering through some bones or cutting against bone and I want the edge to be as strong as possible.

Kitchen knives get 17°-20° for slicing jobs. It is easier to glide a shallower angle through the stuff you are cutting.

My butcher knives get 20° edges as I sometimes drag them across the bones while butchering. I am far from a pro meat cutter. I am a more like a butcher of a meat cutter. I can do it but I don't do it often enough to be good at it. An occasional elk, deer, or oryx, is all I get to do.

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
        Why do I feel like I've been part of another hijack...
        Hi!!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

what angle? couldn't tell ya but it's the one my hands remember after doing it for 30+years.............
          sigpic
          it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Originally posted by chefrob View Post
            what angle? couldn't tell ya but it's the one my hands remember after doing it for 30+years.............

Exactly my point, my dad taught me at a young age and I am sure I have changed it some but could not tell you if it's correct for the blade I have or are using..
            Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Easy, quick and accurate to make sure you are sharpening at the correct angle for each knife is to use the "Sharpie" method.

Do a search on youtube knife sharpening Sharpie marker trick.

dcarch
              Last edited by dcarch; 08-27-2014, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
                Exactly my point, my dad taught me at a young age and I am sure I have changed it some but could not tell you if it's correct for the blade I have or are using..
                is it sharp, does it stay relatively sharp for a while, does it cut with ease........do you like the performance you get from the knife, and most important.....is the blade predictable for you as it cuts? for me, i cut all day long and i know the difference in performance when i use a knife that is not mine. i have to slow down due to the fact that different blades act differently and the angle plays into how aggressively it acts. i do not like multi-angled edges and i like a very low angle.......but that's just me. do you like the way your knives feel and cut?
                sigpic
                it's all good my friend..........

Comment

do you like the way your knives feel and cut?
                  Bingo...
                  In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

is it sharp, does it stay relatively sharp for a while, does it cut with ease........do you like the performance you get from the knife, and most important.....is the blade predictable for you as it cuts? for me, i cut all day long and i know the difference in performance when i use a knife that is not mine. i have to slow down due to the fact that different blades act differently and the angle plays into how aggressively it acts. i do not like multi-angled edges and i like a very low angle.......but that's just me. do you like the way your knives feel and cut?
                    Bingo X2... I have several knives that probably have all the same angles on them by now. I have been "hand honing" for many years, and got my hand and wrist locked into a certain position. Don't have any idea what that angle is, butt I can cut some shit up with the results.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I have the EdgePro set at 20°. I do make sure I use a honing steel before I use my knife each time.

Comment

Originally posted by Squirrel View Post
                        I have the EdgePro set at 20°. I do make sure I use a honing steel before I use my knife each time.
                        Honing steel is a must...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

On a side note, after I sharpen the knife, I lay the edge on my thumbnail and give it a slight angular "tug", all the way up the blade. If it catches, your good. If it slips, then you need to go back over it. You may not want to do that if you're wearing nail polish...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

do you like the way your knives feel and cut?
                            Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                            Bingo...

The feel of the knife in my hand is the biggest thing, Fit / Feel while holding but it cuts, cuts good too but could it be better?? I dunno.. It's all I have ever used so I would not know if it is substandard on the part of sharpening.
                            Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Exactly!

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
                              My dad too. He was a Scoutmaster and started me before I was old enough to join. He also quit before I was old enough, hmmmm....
                              I suspect it is about 18° but never really checked.

Exactly again, the guys at hunt camp look at me funny when I get my own knife kit instead of using what is out. A foreign knife is a great way to get cut!
                              Mark
                              sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                              Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Working...
                              X