Fresh oysters help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh oysters help

Looks like finally going to get my hands on some fresh oysters next week. They will Half to be shucked but am trying to find out about freezing them. Can anyone tell me anything on that?

Also have you ever grilled or smoked them? I know they can be steamed

Personally, I would not freeze them. I have never tried or heard of people doing it aroond me butt maybe. That said, they are plentiful in my area.

My friends, family and I typically cook them on a grill until they pop open, then shuck them and put the oyster in 1/2 of the shell with an assortment of additions and condiments: Butter, Garlic, Worcestershire, Tabaso both Red and Jalapeno, Capers, cocktail sauce, Parmesan, etc. I will try to add a pic if I can find one.
    Last edited by Fishawn; 12-22-2017, 07:54 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
      Personally, I would not freeze them. I have never tried or heard of people doing it aroond me butt maybe. That said, they are plentiful in my area.

My friends, family and I typically cook them on a grill until they pop open, then shuck them and put the oyster in 1/2 of the shell with an assortment of additions and condiments: Butter, Garlic, Worcestershire, Tabaso both Red and Jalapeno, Capers, etc. I will try to add a pic if I can find one.

So their isn't any way to really preserve them after get them besides just eat them fast?

Comment

Fresh oysters help

Originally posted by Blinginpse View Post
        So their isn't any way to really preserve them after get them besides just eat them fast?

That I'm not sure of, we eat them fresh. I have had them canned before and smoked, but have not done either myself.

Here's a pic of after they pop open, are shucked from the shells, then into a 1/2 shell and start applying your sauces, butter, etc.
        sigpic

Comment

you can shuck what you want for chow...yes you can freeze... make sure the liquor (oyster juice) goes in the tub as well...depends on how many in the tub me or Louie <---she does sprinkle sea salt on em & freeze...we fry em if we freeze...be alright...
          Sunset Eagle Aviation
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
            you can shuck what you want for chow...yes you can freeze... make sure the liquor (oyster juice) goes in the tub as well...depends on how many in the tub me or Louie <---she does sprinkle sea salt on em & freeze...we fry em if we freeze...be alright...
            Thanks MikeDaddy! Always good to learn something new
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post

Awesome need to vacuum seal or what? Shuck them after froze and thawed?

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                That I'm not sure of, we eat them fresh. I have had them canned before and smoked, but have not done either myself.

Here's a pic of after they pop open, are shucked from the shells, then into a 1/2 shell and start applying your sauces, butter, etc.

That looks
                Great

Comment

oysters???
                  I live in Kansas
                  Craig
                  sigpic

Comment

Although oysters can be frozen with fair results, they do not have the same texture and appearance of a fresh oyster when thawed. How many you plan on getting? A hundred pound boat sack might last a day by the time we eat most of them raw, then fry what's left between a few people. Try oysters Rockefeller on the grill fine eats.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Fishbum View Post
                      Although oysters can be frozen with fair results, they do not have the same texture and appearance of a fresh oyster when thawed. How many you plan on getting? A hundred pound boat sack might last a day by the time we eat most of them raw, then fry what's left between a few people. Try oysters Rockefeller on the grill fine eats.

That's what we are trying to decide on how many to get. Figure right now just a bushel if we cant freeze them with solid results. If could freeze them would get 2-3 bushel and just fry as thaw them. Getting jumbo shrimp
                      To like 12-14ct for 4$lb.

I'll Half to look up oyster rockefeller never heard of it. Always just ate stew and fried them

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                        oysters???

I live in Kansas

Mtn oysters are good in the mid west too

Comment

Mtn oysters are good in the mid west too
                          Hmmmm...No...
                          Craig
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                            Hmmmm...No...

Choice to live or die. Would you live or die if came to eating them?

Comment

Awesome need to vacuum seal or what? Shuck them after froze and thawed?
                              I can't comment on Slanted88's method, but personally I would shuck them first and freeze them in their own brine/liquid if you get them that way, in maybe a plastic container, or maybe in a salty water brine. If you vac pack in shells, you are looking for trouble with bags breaking and air getting in. Personally, if I got them raw, live in shell, and wanted to freeze them, I would shuck them and put them in a large plastic container with a lid and fill it with fairly heavily salted (Kosher or similar) water, cover so no or minimal air gets in and freeze. Just my thoughts.

Originally posted by Fishbum View Post

Rockefeller Rocks!!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X