fairly new to smoking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fairly new to smoking

i have built a wooden smoker 3 foot tall,lil over 2 foot wide.powered by 2 1000 watt hotplates,ive noticed yall call this a wattburner..haha...made some jerky last night texture turned out great but way way to smoky and chaulky..i did smoke for 3 hours.gonna try again tonight any help would be greatly appreciated.thanks
    i love to Smoke....Smoke meat that is..

Originally posted by megastevie View Post
    i have built a wooden smoker 3 foot tall,lil over 2 foot wide.powered by 2 1000 watt hotplates,ive noticed yall call this a wattburner..haha...made some jerky last night texture turned out great but way way to smoky and chaulky..i did smoke for 3 hours.gonna try again tonight any help would be greatly appreciated.thanks
    I can't help you with the jerky but
    Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
    Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
    1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
    Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
    Weber Smokey Joe
    Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
    Pink Thermapen
    Purple Thermapen

Comment

hi any clue how to put a pic beside your user name.

Comment

hi any clue how to put a pic beside your user name.
        That I can help with! Go to the menu at the top and click "User CP". From there you'll see on the left menu, "Edit Avatar"
        Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
        Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
        1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
        Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
        Weber Smokey Joe
        Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
        Pink Thermapen
        Purple Thermapen

Comment

Welcome aboard!
          Brad

UDS
          Weber spirit
          Weber kettle
          Ultrafast Black Thermapen

KCBS CBJ

Comment

Stevie.... Based on what you have stated..... Some things IMO can take on too much smoke (jerky being one of them)..... Do you have exhaust vents in your smoker? allowing the smoke to pass through? ..... What type of wood are you using? ..... Again,
            sigpic

Comment

to the site. This gang will get you straight in no time.
              Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
              My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
              @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

it is vented at the bottom and top sides.ajustable,but i kept them both fully open.i used apple wood chips in a 6" cast iron pan sitting directly on the hotplate,seems that it really puts off lots of smoke fast.

Comment

it is vented at the bottom and top sides.ajustable,but i kept them both fully open.i used apple wood chips in a 6" cast iron pan sitting directly on the hotplate,seems that it really puts off lots of smoke fast.
                  Sound like you are set up correctly & Apple should not be your problem. Maybe just go 1 small pan next time? Ya know a lot of the jerky folks make is done in a dehydrator with no smoke, where the brine or marinade is the only flavor. If you are aiming for something more in that area, you might try just drying it in your smoker with no wood at all, or just a little bit?
                  sigpic

Comment

ive been making jerky for around 5 years always in a round dehydrator.just using liquid smoke for flavor.always turned out great.now ive become addicted to smoking i wanted to try it this way...tonight im gonna take your advice 1 small pan of smoke.i hear talk of you dont want lots of white smoke pouring out fast.which seems what i get..is this ok?

Comment

thanks every1 for the warm welcomes.and help.i hope to figure out that pic deal soon...im new to forums.this being my 1 and only

Comment

One of the biggest mistakes when starting is to over smoke. It doesn't take a lot of smoke to permeate the food...in fact, it doesn't even need to be barely visible...if you can smell smoke, the food is taking on plenty. As for jerky, you have sliced it really thin, and therefore increased the surface area dramatically. Because of this, a little smoke goes a long way. Do what Fish suggested and use less apple wood to begin with.

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                        you might try just drying it in your smoker with no wood at all, or just a little bit?
                        Since my smoker is well seasoned, I have always thought that just a small lump fire and no flavor wood would provide enough smoke seasoning. I have never tried this, but I bet it is true...Heck, if I walk by it and catch a whiff, it about makes me start to drool and that is with nothing in it.

Welcome to the forum...you'll get the pic thing worked out. We'd love to see that smoker setup.
                        BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                        Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                        I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
                          Weber 22.5" WSM
                          Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
                          Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
                          Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
                          Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
                          Weber 18.5" Kettle
                          Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
                          Weber Smokey Joe
                          GMG Daniel Boone
                          Pit Barrel Cooker
                          Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
                          6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
                          Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
                          The Vortex

Comment

i do believe ive got a pic up from last night of my smoker.thanks again every 1

Comment

Here's a little bigger shot of your smoker, but some of the detail was lost in resizing it.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X