No announcement yet.

fairly new to smoking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to Smoked-Meat... I built a smoke house close to the same size of yours .. I think it's 48"x30"x30"... Keep at it and be sure to continue to ask questions if your not sure.. Also don't be discouraged if you have a few smokes go south on you.. We all have just ask Richtee about smoking cheese..
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

I WILL find Rich's epic smoked cheese picture ASAP and post. Its kinda the "Mona Lisa" of Smoked-Meat picture.... But beware, it has scared small children....
      sigpic

Comment

haha would love to see...
        i love to Smoke....Smoke meat that is..

Comment

Steve, missed the intro... Hmm more particulars on the wattburner, your cure/spice mix, etc might help. And welcome to Smoked-Meat!
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Welcome. Another thing you might try is covering the pan with foil. Poke a couple holes in it with the car key in your pocket. It'll limit how much air gets to the wood.
            S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
            CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
            New Braunfels Bandera
            UniFlame Gas Grill
            Lil Chief

Comment

OK, You Have Been Warned!!!!

sigpic

Comment

sigpic

Comment

to our little Island! You be a old pro at this in a short while!
                  " When you lose, don't lose the lesson "

Comment

As you heard...most times less smoke is better...

In my stick burner I will smoke jerky for a couple hours and transfer to the dehydrator or oven for drying...

Keep at it...learn all you can...this is the place to do it...
                    Craig
                    sigpic

Comment

ive just always use dales,a lil brown sugar some dry seasonings,steak sauce.marinate in bowl overnight,then straight to dehydrator.5 hours or so its done.ive just recently been reading up on using a cure..i did not know anything about cure,i always thought that all the salt cured the meat then drying it was enouf...never had a problem...but now im leaning towards using a cure for safety reasons..since it takes longer in the smoker..wonder where to get a cure?walmart?foodlion?krogers is about it for where im at.and a name of some common cures to look for ?

Comment

also ive been reading..to put the jerky in the smoker for an hour or so no smoke then raise the temp add smoke for awhile then no smoke but raise the temp higher to finish....any info on this would be great

Comment

Originally posted by megastevie View Post
                          ive just always use dales,a lil brown sugar some dry seasonings,steak sauce.marinate in bowl overnight,then straight to dehydrator.5 hours or so its done.ive just recently been reading up on using a cure..i did not know anything about cure,i always thought that all the salt cured the meat then drying it was enouf...never had a problem...but now im leaning towards using a cure for safety reasons..since it takes longer in the smoker..wonder where to get a cure?walmart?foodlion?krogers is about it for where im at.and a name of some common cures to look for ?
                          Insta Cure, Cure #1 and Morton's Tenderquick. Here's a google search for cure #1:

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=...w=1600&bih=791
                          S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                          CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                          New Braunfels Bandera
                          UniFlame Gas Grill
                          Lil Chief

Comment

You can get the instacure PINK cure salt from Amazon also.... TQ is available at most larger grocery stores, at least around here anyway
                            sigpic

Comment

ok its 7 am..after a all night smoke on the jerky,,results were exellent.took 8 hours total.very lite on the smoke deal is were its at...i took a pic of the end result..now to figure out how to load the pic....maybe 1 day ill figure this computer [/IMG]]out...but this should end this thread..BIG thanks to every one.
                              Last edited by megastevie; 01-27-2012, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X