hi from ne nebraska

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hi from ne nebraska

Hi I'm Ryan. I just got my old fridge turned smoker in December, I love it. I had a little Bradley electric first and didn't like it. I got 2 questions first I would like to add permanent thermometers to this. Where might I find some I want to put them in the side at top and towards bottom any suggestions? Second I just bought a pickup load of pear wood that was just cut down. Is it ok to use green wood or should I let it dry? Everything I see on internet is 50/50. Thanks
    sigpic

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
    Hi I'm Ryan. I just got my old fridge turned smoker in December, I love it. I had a little Bradley electric first and didn't like it. I got 2 questions first I would like to add permanent thermometers to this. Where might I find some I want to put them in the side at top and towards bottom any suggestions? Second I just bought a pickup load of pear wood that was just cut down. Is it ok to use green wood or should I let it dry? Everything I see on internet is 50/50. Thanks
    Welcome! You should use seasoned wood only for smoking food. Others will be along soon with answers to your thermometer questions.

Comment

...these thermos have never let me down for a mounted style.........

http://www.teltru.com/s-43-barbecue.aspx

Only folk i know who use truely "green wood" they use it at high temps...325-350 degree power cooking.....seems fact smoke is moving quickly thru cooker it doesnt have any bad effects.I honestly believe the smoker and application of wood the key here...I like to use wetter wood meself.....Not green though......

I have used pear wood before and enjoyed it

Comment

...... I use seasoned wood, but my FIL uses green Vine Maple only in his smokehouse & his stuff turns out good.....
        sigpic

Comment

Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
          Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
          1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
          Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
          Weber Smokey Joe
          Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
          Pink Thermapen
          Purple Thermapen

Comment

I believe these guys carry the Tel-Tru line...good thermos...

Green wood... if you got a pit/firebox big enough to have a helluva coal bed... some DO use it. But I would nor for your application. Cut it small and split it..and keep it covered or in garage...it'll season pretty quick.
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Glad you joined us Ryan, welcome to Smoked-Meat!
              --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
              www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Welcome From Dayton!! Now go smoke some meat!!
                Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
                Yoder YS640
                Weber Genesis
                Weber 18.5" Kettle
                Weber Performer
                Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Ryan, great to have you aboard.
                  Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                  My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                  @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Another question how do I get a picture next to my name on a post I got one on my profile thanks again. I will check them websites out and I'm glad to know about the wood. Unfortunately I'll have to buy some dry to get me by. I do have dried mulberry I heard it can be a little.bitter is that true.
                    sigpic

Comment

Ryan Lookin' forward to seein, what comes outta that fridge. Lotsa good folks here ready to help with anything that might come up. Maybe you could give us some details on the fridge build sometime.
                      Rudy

sigpic
                      GOSM Big Block
                      SnPP - Rehab'd after 16 years
                      22.5" Weber Kettle
                      Smokey Joe for the RV
                      Assorted Digital Thermos
                      and a ugly BROWN thermapen cuz it was on sale!

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
                        I do have dried mulberry I heard it can be a little.bitter is that true.
                        Welcome to the Island, Ryan.

I haven't personally used mulberry, but, a good friend and member on here uses it. According to him, it should be dried, and then used until it is a year old...after that, he says it gets bitter.

Hope this helps,
                        Eric

Comment

To The Island
                          sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

I actually found this one on Craigslist the guy was moving. So lucky me! It set up nicely he did a good job. I'm hoping to make some more pulled pork this weekend. A couple weeks ago I made north Carolina style turned out great only problem the vinegar sauce was way to tangy good just to tangy any suggestions.
                            sigpic

Comment

Ryan from central Oregon good to have ya! nice to see your not shy and are askin the questions already. lots of talent here and you will get great advise!
                              sigpic
                              Brown Trout Wickiup Reservoir, beautiful Central Oregon

Comment

Working...
                              X